OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys. Appreciate all the insight. I will start feeding much more often, while finding a way to distract the bigger fish with Nori or Masstick.

I also bought Selcon to dose the mandarins meals.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a Mandarin that size, I would recommend adding Tibse+Tigger pods. Feeding it is good but like others have said, I think you need to replenish the pod population in the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that 1:32 length video, I saw it eat only one pod, its just cruising over the rocks looking but not picking. It has wiped out the pods in your tank, and now visibly skinny.
I feel like she typically gets way more than that, I'll spend some time with her and count today.. That was late in their day when lights were almost out.

Regardless, I'm shocked to count 10+ pods per square inch with a flashlight at night multiplied by lots of live rock in a 160 gallon, and that's still not enough for her to find adequate food to survive during the day. I would love to see what the pod count looks like in a tank that does have enough pod mass to naturally feed the mandarins.

It's just amazing what they actually require to survive.

I'll also continue adding live pods every few weeks, starting tomorrow.

OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is extremely dark to clearly see but the mandarin is active and eating and thats good but appears slightly skinny. Refrain from metro/focus as metro is to be used when absolutely needed and applied precisely by weight and it can make food taste bitter to some fish.

Wanted to update with a video in white light.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crazy and unfortunate thing with fish in the process of starving is, we may be able to see our fish “thinning” if you will. But they are still beautiful marine fish. From Mandarins to Clowns and Copperbanded Butterfly fish. We as hobbyists are more taken by their external beauty and don’t consider what going on inside. Fish at the end of life from starvation are like people. We’re in the hospital or hospice. We’ve stopped eating. And our vital organs one by one begin to shut down. But humans have an inside track. The Dr. or health care person informs us of it. In the hobby we just see a pretty fish swimming around picking at rocks. Then we’re shocked when we see our beautiful fish has died.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havnen't had any luck getting her to eat brine. But I will try again..
Mysis is more nutritious than Brine shrimp. I think looking at the brine, you can see most of is shell and legs. Get the smaller Mysis and mix the two together. Once he mistakenly eats a bite or two, he will know that Mysis is also food.

OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis is more nutritious than Brine shrimp. I think looking at the brine, you can see most of is shell and legs. Get the smaller Mysis and mix the two together. Once he mistakenly eats a bite or two, he will know that Mysis is also food.
Okay, I will do that.

I'm also going to build a baby brine shrimp feeder as you suggested.. When I get her fat and happy, I will post an updated video.

Appreciate all the help and insights.

OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider make a @Paul B mandarin feeder and feed him newly attached brine shrimp
Made one and hatching out the brine shrimp now.

Do you rinse the brine shrimp before you put it into the funnel?

Do you mix them with a little tank water and just pour them into the funnel? Any tricks to know? .

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made one and hatching out the brine shrimp now.

Do you rinse the brine shrimp before you put it into the funnel?

Do you mix them with a little tank water and just pour them into the funnel? Any tricks to know? .
I never use it but I would put them in tank water and use a syringe and pipe it in there. Best to put them in when the mandarin is there and as they defuse out the mandarin is there to eat them. Keep them alive.

OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never use it but I would put them in tank water and use a syringe and pipe it in there. Best to put them in when the mandarin is there and as they defuse out the mandarin is there to eat them. Keep them alive.
1718557360578.jpeg

She’s all ready to go, brine should be hatching by tonight.

OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any good advice on using a Paul B style feeder.

I pour baby brine in every day.. There are thousands of baby brine in the feeder, I can see them..

After a day or so of not adding Brine, the numbers dwindle.. I'm guessing they're finding a way out, but maybe they are dying.

I feed my Mandarin her mysis/ adult brine every day on top of the feeder. She knows that that is where she eats. However, I have never seen her pick at the feeder when there isn't frozen shrimp that I have placed there.

How do I get her to learn how to use the feeder. It has been almost a week, and no luck.

I feed her three times a day now.. She eats probably 30 frozen shrimp a day.. She's still as skinny as a rail.

Any other thoughts?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any good advice on using a Paul B style feeder.

I pour baby brine in every day.. There are thousands of baby brine in the feeder, I can see them..

After a day or so of not adding Brine, the numbers dwindle.. I'm guessing they're finding a way out, but maybe they are dying.

I feed my Mandarin her mysis/ adult brine every day on top of the feeder. She knows that that is where she eats. However, I have never seen her pick at the feeder when there isn't frozen shrimp that I have placed there.

How do I get her to learn how to use the feeder. It has been almost a week, and no luck.

I feed her three times a day now.. She eats probably 30 frozen shrimp a day.. She's still as skinny as a rail.

Any other thoughts?
@Paul B ?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've more or less trained her to come to the feeder and spend alot of time on the feeder.

The problem is she's not finding anything to eat there. Maybe the mesh I have on top is too fine.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 12.5%
Back