Anybody know anything about blue ridge coral?

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a frag of what I was told was blue ridge coral. I’ve had it about two weeks and the polyps are turning green. It was all brown when I got it. I know nothing about this coral so any information would be appreciated
I will get a pic up soon

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry bro nothing from me...

Come on people help a brother out! :D

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are from the coral reefs of North Georgia. It should have a pine green color and respond favorably to banjo music. Supplement feeding with bol'd p-nuts.

:)

I bought a frag of what I was told was blue ridge coral. I’ve had it about two weeks and the polyps are turning green. It was all brown when I got it. I know nothing about this coral so any information would be appreciated
I will get a pic up soon

gooch

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy to keep. Grows well. Not very popular. It does have a blue skeleton. Often times it will be a hitchhiker on a colony of something else. It is I believe in some areas the dominant reefbuilder. I have never seen one with green polyps.

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a piece also - it has remained a shinny brown color as it has been growing... the underside is a really nice blue color, but unfortunately it does not come thru this coral, when they die and the outer layer dries - this is when they actually become blue in color, go figure. It will encrust on sides of tank or smooth areas.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine turns more bluish under higher light. It has been a pretty easy coral. One of the few that made it through the move (wasn't sure it would...).

Mine seems to like higher light (higher in a softie tank, med to lo-medium-high;) in an SPS tank) and at least medium flow.

41a48fa4.jpg

a2942ad3.jpg

460b7001.jpg

fe224841.jpg

3d26fce9.jpg

d89d123f.jpg

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only thing i k now about it is the blue skeleton underneath the top layer
if you break off a piece, its blue under

bluegrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a large piece in the past. Not sure what specific info you're looking for. I didn't find it to require any special treatment. It was in a 44 hex on the substrate under 175 MH. I guess the coolest thing about it is the blue skeleton... gary, that piece looks VERY familiar---it was reewiks before I had it...a lotof new growth I see!!!!

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to take a pic and the batteries in my camera died I will get new ones tomorrow and try to get a pic that shows the bluish green polyps. The mother colony in the lfs looks like the one in gflat65s pics. Mine is only a frag but the polyps are not the same color they were three weeks ago.

As for what sort of info I’m looking for nothing specific. Just let me know what you know about this coral.

Thanks for the info please keep it coming :)

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is one and the same, Casey;). It's not the most popular coral, but it has an interesting growth form. And a soft coral with a skeleton to boot. It had some issues after the move, but started to look good again about three months ago. It's been doing better and better ever since.

It is now lower in the tank (120 under (2)-175W Ushio 14K's, (2)110W VHO 03's) and the polyps are opened more, but the coensarc coloring has changed to more of a brown again. Look close at it and see if you have any hitchhikers. I didn't know I had the critters in the last pic until I started taking shots with the macro. They are all through it, now that I've seen them.

OP
OP
coral88

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get a pic but some greens don't show up on my less than new digital camera.The best I could get is a blurry actinic shot. You can see the green polyps if you look at the new growth.But they are a lot easier to see in person.

gpbr.jpg

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had a piece for a few years, it's about a foot across, and grows well in high flow and lighting. they like a bit higher temps, 82+. the blue is due to iron it draws from the water. sort of a living fossil as it is the only coral left in it's family.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly it's the only soft coral with Ca in it... Picked up a tiny piece in 2008 from a store in holland and it still lives at the edge of my frag tank. Shows polyps when happy which is rare in the case of mine. I haven't seen the blue shade of color on the outside unless it breaks and I can see a hint of blue on the outside. Haven't seen it in any tank over the last years as mentioned as its not the most colorful nor the nicest growth pattern coral... Thinking about moving a small piece to my tank just for the uniqueness factor :)

George113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately, the blue ridge coral is only blue on the inside. Mines is a light brown on the outside with whitish polyps.
IMG_1451.JPG.jpeg

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bunch of frags of the Blue ridge if anyone wants to swap frags or colonies for that matter!! Super easy softie and what’s cool is it grows upward, for the most part, so if you keep laying it down you can get it to grow in some pretty cool shapes.

Back