Salinty 1.025
Temp. 77.6
PH 8.3
Alk. 7.2
Nirate 14.4
Phos. .02
cal 429
Mag. 1585
my mag. just started to climb in the last 2 weeks and I do not know why?
I have recently change to Kessil lights
This is a biocube 32 tank
My xenia, Monti all are gone
mushrooms, leathers,gsp.are still doing great.
Attached is some before and current pictures
Any help on what to do?

IMG_3679.JPG IMG_3676.JPG IMG_3680.JPG IMG_3685.JPG IMG_4326.JPG IMG_4327.JPG IMG_4328.JPG IMG_4330.JPG IMG_3681.JPG

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Zoas,hammer coral, candy cane are dying. my water parameters are
Salinty 1.025
Temp. 77.6
PH 8.3
Alk. 7.2
Nirate 14.4
Phos. .02
cal 429
Mag. 1585
my mag. just started to climb in the last 2 weeks and I do not know why?
I have recently change to Kessil lights
This is a biocube 32 tank
My xenia, Monti all are gone
mushrooms, leathers,gsp.are still doing great.
Attached is some before and current pictures
Any help on what to do?
I would get that alk up and see if that fixes it and if not its likely the change in lighting

OP
OP
R

Rogersstuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get that alk up and see if that fixes it and if not its likely the change in lighting
Thankyou I put my old bio cube lights on and igot 100 par on the bottom of the tank and with the kesil light i was getting only 40 par at the bottom I will be bring up my lights as to get 100 par at the bottom. I dosed the alk I will be checking. Is my Mag. to high? and how do I get it down?

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou I put my old bio cube lights on and igot 100 par on the bottom of the tank and with the kesil light i was getting only 40 par at the bottom I will be bring up my lights as to get 100 par at the bottom. I dosed the alk I will be checking. Is my Mag. to high? and how do I get it down?
The Mag is a little high as for just getting it down. Id say waterchanges i dont know of other ways to just get the one down

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think alk is fine where it’s at. I run mine are around 7.5dkh, I agree mag could be a little high but I don’t think it’s high enough to cause coral death.
It wouldn’t hurt to do a larger water change and maybe add some good activated carbon see if that helps with anything. Possibly could be corals adjusted to the changes in the lighting as you mentioned switching to the kesil showed a drop in par.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag tests are not reliable. Even if it is correct that level will not hurt anything. According to my tests and an icp my mag is also in that range and everything is fine. After reading through many threads on reef chemistry and consistently seeing Randy say dont worry or test mag I have adopted this belief.

The only recent change was lighting? Parameters are stable at your posted test results?
My guess is also lighting. I like Kessils for many reason, I believe they test lower on par than what they actually put out that is usable by the corals. At least that seems true with older Kessil lights. With their chip design changes in recent years I dont know if this is still the case. Either way that was the change you made and corals have reacted negatively. You will now need to do some testing, you'll have to try lowering the intensity or raising it. IMO corals dont immediately shrink from not enough light more the opposite.

Back