Anyone fighting aiptasia with lemon juice?

MZabel67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you now, recently or in the past?
I have my own method but have never tried lemon juice.
Interested in hearing what y'all have to say.
For those of us who can't have nudis or peps, what other alternatives have you tried?
Did they work or is it just a losing battle?
Tried it without much success. Using F- Aptasia (not an ad/no affiliation) to spot treat, works well. Would love to have a Copperband but too big for tank.

armyvetheather

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, didn't realize you were up there. I had a small patch ,used f aiptasia and now have 4 large patches. Was gonna put an order in with Dr Reef but ouch $215. Glad to hear your tangs have allowed it to thrive as that was my biggest concern. We have the same tangs except I have a naso and Achilles but no yellow. The sailfin has taken to smacking the foxface around a little bit here lately but she deserves it. I hope they leave this little guy alone.
Look at Reef Beauties or NY Aquatics for CBB. They both have them on sale and a two-week guarantee.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of us who can't have nudis or peps, what other alternatives have you tried?
I use lemon juice only if I have one or two.

It's a slow method, you need to shoot it at the foot for the most part and it will release from The Rock.

My full method for using lemon juice is to drop some in the mouth let it close up. I use a turkey baster to suck up some of that lemon juice and anything that the aiptasia shoots out. Then I start going after it's foot. I also use tweezers to grab a hold so it doesn't float away. So basically when it's closed up I use tweezers to hold it, lemon juice to shoot its foot, when there's enough lemons using the water I suck all that out. Then I go back to its foot with lemon juice. After a good five or 10 minutes it should be released and just pull it out. It's a very long process and tedious but it does work and I've never had one come back that I did this way.

Chuck_e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the minority, but I did have success with lemon juice. The caveat is that I caught it really early - just a couple of sprouts on a new coral frag. One treatment got most of them, a second treatment finished them off. Syringe with the pink plastic end from a Salifert test kit, but you have to be fast to get the juice in before the aptasia closes up. Spillover didn't bother the zoas very much, but I don't think anything does...

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Losing battle. Might win if I was persistent, but I keep going days and days between Aip hunts.

I am currently using a combo of boiling water for the isolated Aips and kalk paste to the face for Aips around/between corals.
Wow. “Kalk paste to the face”. That would make for a rough shave

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, why can't you use berghia nudibrachs?

Just curious, I've used them with wrasse and have no problems.
The biggest thing is you need to add him at night and you need to let them crawl out on their own of their container. At night wrasse are sleeping. During the day the nudies are sleeping.

Elie Chammas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried everything … Lemon , vinegar, kalk, boiled water , highly concentrated salt… nothing works . À Rangoon butterfly was the best solution
Did they work or is it just a losing battl

GreyJediReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a file fish for my seahorse tank. Was trying F aiptasia but couldn’t get ahead of them. File fish took care kid the issue in less than a week

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemon juice works but... I use white vinegar as they cant close there mouths at all and they go right down dead. It's just like carbon dosing vinegar. I carbon dose Vodka, but with vinegar you have to use quite a bit more than Vodka, IMO a little extra vinegar will never hurt... and it works fantastic!

jlitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Reef Beauties or NY Aquatics for CBB. They both have them on sale and a two-week guarantee.
Reef beauties will not cover a CBB for two weeks. Or even a weekend in my experience. They have a disclaimer for “expert” fish. That said, I like that company and have got healthy fish from them. It’s just a tough fish, so I get it.

armyvetheather

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef beauties will not cover a CBB for two weeks. Or even a weekend in my experience. They have a disclaimer for “expert” fish. That said, I like that company and have got healthy fish from them. It’s just a tough fish, so I get it.
Well I know that NY Aquatics at least says that their CBBs are eating before they're sold.

jlitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this old video from reefbuilders and can say their concoction melts aiptasia in my tank. That said, it scares me to put in my tank, so I only use it on big ones near expensive corals. I have an order of Berghia nudibranchs coming from reeftown.com

OP
OP
00W

00W

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a file fish for my seahorse tank. Was trying F aiptasia but couldn’t get ahead of them. File fish took care kid the issue in less than a week
Looking into a Filefish.
They've got 4 @ the LFS.
I'm aware of the risk here but everything in my tank could use a trim. ;)

OP
OP
00W

00W

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemon juice works but... I use white vinegar as they cant close there mouths at all and they go right down dead. It's just like carbon dosing vinegar. I carbon dose Vodka, but with vinegar you have to use quite a bit more than Vodka, IMO a little extra vinegar will never hurt... and it works fantastic!
Yes agreed!
That's what I'm doing now using my daily dose on them instead.
It works, but I can only use so much so the question of lemon juice was posed to get around the carbon dose scenario.
I'm already taxing ph and I know lemon juice will lower it too.

OP
OP
00W

00W

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, why can't you use berghia nudibrachs?

Just curious, I've used them with wrasse and have no problems.
The biggest thing is you need to add him at night and you need to let them crawl out on their own of their container. At night wrasse are sleeping. During the day the nudies are sleeping.
I've thought about it believe me.
I've got a long nosed in one tank who's completely active at night.
He's taken out 2 shrimp so far and anything else he can find.
He's super cool though so I just go with it.
Trigger in the bigger tank who basically will eat anything but coral and aips, chews up rocks like he works in a quarry.
He might find them who knows.
It's still an option I'm considering.
Just wish these things didn't grow so fast.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHEN YOU FIRST STARTED REEFING, WAS EASIER OR HARDER THAN YOU EXPECTED?

• It was easier than expected!

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It was harder than expected.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • It was exactly what I expected.

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 3.1%

Back