Are hawk fish jumpers?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They definitely can be jumpers! Hawkfish are hunters and IME, when they’re after something, they swim up quickly, so I’d be worried that they’d even jump out on accident. You could get lucky but with such a beautiful fish, I wouldn’t take the chance.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had Flame hawkfish for years, never jumped out. Longnose jumped out after 3 months, I didn’t do enough reading about it’s behavior.:angry-face:

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. Flame has never jumped, but Longnose has. That being said, every tank should have a screen. I've learned the hard way, a couple of times.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there’s a chance of the hawk jumping. In my experience they stick more to the rocks, rock skipping from one end of the tank to another. The instances I’ve seen them shoot upwards towards the surface has been when chasing food floating at the surface, chasing a take mate to set his rank in the pecking order or when startled. Either way, I recommend a lid because several types of fish will jump, goby, wrasse, blennies, anthias, chromis & others, plus it will save in replenishing evaporated water.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting an arc eye hawk fish. . . but will they jump?
yes most definitly. i have had an arc eye so i know. when i would open up the lid for his food i would have to put my hand over the tank cuz he got excited pretty easy

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve had a few long nose hawk fish over the years and have lost 2 to jumping. I have kids but they always fine the smallest gap.

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my Longnose Hawkfish last night. I did a water change and had to move a piece of live rock. Must have spooked him. Heard my fish net move slightly next to the tank before I went to bed but didn’t think anything out it….landed right into the fishnet! Lid was ordered but hasn’t arrived yet. At least it wasn’t the black storm clownfish! Sorry for your loss, I feel your pain!

23jcochran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what it means for a red hawkfish to bounce their sides off rocks on purpose?

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 29 25.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back