Are my tanks seams beginning to fail?

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example - IMs are rare to see breaks, but there's a member here (and has a decent Youtube following) that has had 2 different IM tanks (both replacements) leak within 6 months.
Actually just stumbled on this post too. So tanks fail. Just the G1s were very high rate relatively.

From what I’ve seen, the G1s (even G1 V3) were just flawed from the start. The G2 so far has seen one single fail in the 2 years it’s been out (we know of through all the Internet forums) and it was a replacement tank for a G1.

OP
OP
StevenL

StevenL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

New tank arrived today. Ive started rinsing the sand which is probably the most exhausting part of this whole ordeal. Need to disassemble the old tank next.

Attachments

• IMG_1401.jpeg
    IMG_1401.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 10

BryanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm stressed out reading this thread, glad the OP is calmed down. I saved the description for the used setup I purchased, and apparently its a RedSea G1 425XL V3.

So I am now stressed, and sad. I guess I will keep an eye on it, make sure if I don't already have appropriate wood and straps, get them to give me time if I start to see any signs of this BS happening.

UGH.

btw, OP, your tank was gorgeous, I'm sure it will be again soon :) .... I'd be running far away from RS at this point myself. Your tank tubs seem to be working, I'd be getting anything euro braced or otherwise recommended and selling the RMA'd tank to offset the cost.

OP
OP
StevenL

StevenL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read. I am going to give this a try over the next few days and will post my results.
Brandon, I’ve rinsed my sand for hours and it’s finally coming in clear. I am going to do my final rinse with RODI water shortly. Do you typically wait for the sand to dry before rinsing with RODI?
Will any potential leftover tap water “contaminate” for lack of a better word the sand when I place it in the new tank?

I understand I will need to take the RODI aspect into account when getting the salinity right with the new water. I plan on transferring some of the tub water (~20? Gallons) into the new tank as well unless anyone thinks that’s a bad idea.

My goal is to have the new tank up and running by Saturday.

IMG_1409.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No in none of the jobs in the rinse thread did we dry out the sand, just rinse and install

If some tap water remains it's no big deal, rinse what you can out. Within one day of running in the new system that small amount of tap water will dissipate

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back