Asterinas all bad?

KrAt0s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found this guy today, for now he’s evicted. Any idea on whether it’s a good or bad version? Hitchhiker from live ocean rock.

IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I welcomed mine as additional biodiversity, but it turns out the ones I have took a liking to coraline algae and started to pick my rocks clean. I nearly eradicated them through aggressive culling but a few months later they were back. I must have missed some.

Interestingly I put some in my dark sump as an experiment and they have continued to multiply, leading me to believe the algae eating species may actually are omnivorous.

I still remove them when I see them and can easily reach them but have resigned myself to having them as permanent additions. I think I probably wouldn’t add them given the choice to do it again, but it’s not tragic to have them either.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the morning my front glass looks like the Andromeda Galaxy because it is covered with them. I like them. :)

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In the morning my front glass looks like the Andromeda Galaxy because it is covered with them. I like them. :)
I liked them too. For 20+ years. Then somehow a zoa eating strain got in my system. They were identical when viewed “on the glass” but the backs had different texture and patterns. I examined every one I could see in my tank. 1 out of 20 appeared to be the different ones.

I had no choice but it introduce a harlequin. My zoanthids thanked me and have regrown and the losses stopped and colonies rebuilt.

I don’t have the harlequin anymore and I still have asterina. I reduced my population 80% and I will watch my zoas and anytime is see these tiny starfish I check them. I occasionally still find baby red backed ones and toss them. The pure white ones I keep and they cause no issues

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ate coralline to the point that they almost made it disappear. I introduced a harlequin shrimp and now they are under control. Coralline is recovering as showed by the increased surface on rocks and glass and the increase in alkalinity consumption

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine ate coralline to the point that they almost made it disappear. I introduced a harlequin shrimp and now they are under control. Coralline is recovering as showed by the increased surface on rocks and glass and the increase in alkalinity consumption
I’ve never had a coralline eating variety.

@taricha see post 4 and 7
Two different users both reporting a variety that targets coralline

Apparently we now have 3 types to identify and categorize:
Reef safe
Zoa eating
Coralline eating

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a coralline eating variety.

@taricha see post 4 and 7
Two different users both reporting a variety that targets coralline

Apparently we now have 3 types to identify and categorize:
Reef safe
Zoa eating
Coralline eating
I have had asterina for a long time. At the beginning they did not seem to bother anything in the tank. I can not speak about zoanthus because I have none (they are like candy for all my dwarf and big angels). Then, at some moment, I noticed the pink coralline alga was going down and replaced by a dark red coralline. My conclusion is that asterina (either the original strain or a new one recently introduced) were eating the pink coralline as the situation was reversed by the addition of the harlequin.

If they are two different species or varieties I can not say. Morphologically seem the same.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had asterina for a long time. At the beginning they did not seem to bother anything in the tank. I can not speak about zoanthus because I have none (they are like candy for all my dwarf and big angels). Then, at some moment, I noticed the pink coralline alga was going down and replaced by a dark red coralline. My conclusion is that asterina (either the original strain or a new one recently introduced) were eating the pink coralline as the situation was reversed by the addition of the harlequin.

If they are two different species or varieties I can not say. Morphologically seem the same.

In the aquarium hobby most people think these starfish are all the same. But researchers and scientists have identified at least 14 types and also noted the diets are different, some confirmed to eat coral

We don’t know how to identify the good from the bad

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitchhiker from live ocean rock.
Where in location was the rock from?
Or do you think it spent a bunch of time in a seller's system, so that's the likelier place the stars came from?
but it turns out the ones I have took a liking to coraline algae and started to pick my rocks clean.

Mine ate coralline to the point that they almost made it disappear
If either of you have pictures of the coralline munching ones, I'd love to see.

OP
OP
KrAt0s

KrAt0s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or do you think it spent a bunch of time in a seller's system, so that's the likelier place the stars came from?

@taricha rock is from KP Aquatics, so Florida Keys I believe.

Also my wife decided the starfish was “super cute” so now I’m keeping it in my second fish quarantine tank. Just use general cure and metroplex in there so should be good and can help keep that tank clean.

Fenral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to have to find the video - but one of the sponsors (tidal gardens) made a comment about them. Which pretty much went ignore them unless they over run… and that they are great clean up crew. I got a few that hitch hiked in from tidal gardens… i have yet to see them do any harm.

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I culture them in my sump for my blue linckia stars, the only way I have been able to keep blue linckia alive. I think the only harms asterinas could do is possibly smother corals and eat coralline

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'l try to take photos of the asterina, although the harlequin shrimp have worked so well that is not easy to find them. LOL

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if some were eating bits of my sps but they were causing enough irritation that I was getting tissue recession around the areas they would like to hang out on my corals. Get a couple harlequin shrimp if your worried. It doesn't take long until you have to start buying starfish because the harlequin have snacked on every starfish in the tank.
20241008_143126.jpg

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if some were eating bits of my sps but they were causing enough irritation that I was getting tissue recession around the areas they would like to hang out on my corals. Get a couple harlequin shrimp if your worried. It doesn't take long until you have to start buying starfish because the harlequin have snacked on every starfish in the tank.
20241008_143126.jpg
I'm in that situation now. I have to provide some food to my harlequin. I'm using frozen starfish legs and hope the harlequin find them tasteful enough

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I welcomed them, actually asking for some at my LFS last time I got frags there.

So far it's mostly been fine, most have divided, one even developing 7 legs instead of 6, and out of maybe a dozen, there was a singular known individual that was going after zoas, and coralline. It was a split individual, so we'll see if another split, presumably its other half will go after them. Also interesting is that this feeding behavior has only happened in the last 10 days, but the asterinas have been in for months. The new zoas they've gone after have been in the tank for maybe 2-3 weeks. Of now is that since cycling I have not fed this tank at all, but may start soon.

My favorite one, which hasn't split and is notably different color has been totally fine. That one has much more blue/ orange pigmentation than the rest.

I'll be keeping watch on their behavior, but if it was simply 1 in a dozen that went after the zoas, and that one has been removed, I see no reason to cull more. I accept mine being a starfish tank with a few corals in it.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in that situation now. I have to provide some food to my harlequin. I'm using frozen starfish legs and hope the harlequin find them tasteful enough
My shop regularly had chocolate chip starfish in and I get them for 20$. One of them will last mine 1.5-2months

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 5.8%
Back