Automated or Overrated? Is your reef automated?

Is your reef automated? Why or why not?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The technological advances in our world are impressive, and these advances are bleeding over into our reefing world, too. Today, you can do just about anything to your tank with just a click of a button or a setting of a timer. Some of us reefers may love this aid as it may free up some time and make being away a little less worrisome, while others feel like these conveniences can be a recipe for disaster and short-cut the overall joy of maintaining a reef. But what do you think?

Is your reef automated?

For reference, some common types of automation in reefing are auto top-offs, auto-feeders, dosing aids, lighting timers, etc.

Beastie Boys Robot GIF

ShadowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While in no way essential, automation has definitely taken some of the guess work out of maintaining my tank. Not the cheapest option, but the Trident has resolved one of my biggest issues... being a colour-blind reefer. ;)

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to have automation, otherwise I would not be able to have my reef tanks. I work a lot, so I am not home to test, dose, and top off the tanks. I do maintenance on the weekends that I am off.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that automation really contributes to ease and stability of maintaining a tank.

Automation really helps when you need to travel for work/vacation or unexpected downtime for weeks at a time. Also, when reef fatigue hits hard or real life gets busy (kids, commitments, sickness), it's nice to have the automation there to kind of lessen the blow.

Just imagine that you need to go out of the country for 3 weeks (for whatever reason) and you only have a neighbor come by once a week to top off the feeder or do basic maintenance, how will your tank fare? That's kind of how I think when I set up a tank now.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have automated ATO, feeding, and AFR dosing. Makes it easier to go camping over the weekend. When i am home i hand feed frozen and dote on it more, but it is nice to be able to walk away for a bit knowing the basics are covered.

Danny McElroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutley everything I can automate I do, with multiple redundancies. It's like having two hobbies in one. I enjoy tinkering and maintaining all the gear and automation. I also enjoy being able to monitor and adjust continuously. My first tank in 2013 was not automated and I did not enjoy the hobby as much. This time I am fully automated and enjoy the hobby much more and have much more success with the corals.

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very complicated automation and most people could never dream of this level of automation. It is called a light on a timer... Everything else is too expensive

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some automation is almost a requirement in this game.
While possible, running a tank without an ATO or dosing pumps ramps the challenge up considerably.
That being said, I think people starting their first SW tank should avoid as much as they can and learn the manual way long enough that they're not inept when their fancy Trident doesn't dose properly or they get so complacent that they tank starts becoming a decoration in the backround instead of a group of family pets.

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The technological advances in our world are impressive, and these advances are bleeding over into our reefing world, too. Today, you can do just about anything to your tank with just a click of a button or a setting of a timer. Some of us reefers may love this aid as it may free up some time and make being away a little less worrisome, while others feel like these conveniences can be a recipe for disaster and short-cut the overall joy of maintaining a reef. But what do you think?

Is your reef automated?

For reference, some common types of automation in reefing are auto top-offs, auto-feeders, dosing aids, lighting timers, etc.

Beastie Boys Robot GIF
No way is it overrated. For water changes and my rodi the water automatically dumps into my sewer line. I haven’t automated dosing as I’m not that far along but technology means consistency and stability. And stability is always essential.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automation adds to the enjoyment of the hobby imo, that is, if you can afford it. I like all the gadgets but they still don't guarantee success.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back