Bali Green Slimer Acro tissue loss

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some casualties in my war against dinos. I think maybe one or both of my big Tiger Turbo snails died from dino toxins along with a lot of other snails. Anyway, I woke up a few days ago and two of my acros were completely without flesh and my Green Slimer had lost the flesh on its top half.

It doesn't seem to be progressing. Should I cut off the top half or leave it alone. I'm not experienced with Acros and I'm not sure what one does in this situation.

20241006_152631.jpg

Last edited:

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the dead off absolutely as bare skeleton will just attract Algea/ dinos and impede healing.

Have you ID'd your dinos yet? Microscope ?

I have typically only really seen coral/ invert death from ostreopsis sp. dinos, which are easy, but expensive to treat as it involves buying an oversized UV sterilizer and doing a 48-72hr blackout, if you go REALLY oversized on the UV, blackout may not even be needed as you typically notice a huge improvement within 48hrs of running the UVC.

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't identified them with a scope, but I think I've turned the tide. I read a post on these forums that said that ozone can get rid of dinos. I had been only running the ozone generator on it's lowest setting for an hour a night.

Two days ago I cranked up the ozone generator to "4" and been running it all day and night except for while I'm sleeping.

The dinos seem to be dying. Some of my base rocks that aren't connected to the scape are completely clean now.

My ORP had been slowly climbing from 195 all the way up to 294 over the span of a couple of days. Earlier today I scraped all of the dinos off of the back of the tank while siphoning it out with a Python. The resulting 10% to 15% water change dropped my ORP back down to around 250. It's starting to slowly climb again.

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it is, snails that feed on it either become lethargic or die. I added a Blue Tuxedo Urchin that chomped down on some and died. It could be my imagination, but it seems to irritate my skin when I was using a toothbrush to scrape it off of the rocks.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't identified them with a scope, but I think I've turned the tide. I read a post on these forums that said that ozone can get rid of dinos. I had been only running the ozone generator on it's lowest setting for an hour a night.

Two days ago I cranked up the ozone generator to "4" and been running it all day and night except for while I'm sleeping.

The dinos seem to be dying. Some of my base rocks that aren't connected to the scape are completely clean now.

My ORP had been slowly climbing from 195 all the way up to 294 over the span of a couple of days. Earlier today I scraped all of the dinos off of the back of the tank while siphoning it out with a Python. The resulting 10% to 15% water change dropped my ORP back down to around 250. It's starting to slowly climb again.

Ozone can certainly be effective in combatting dinos and other pest algaes, however, if it does happen to be ostreopsis the UV will work a lot faster. I'm sure you have read up quite a bit about the safe application of ozone,using an air dryer, activated carbon etc etc, also you aren't really reaching high levels ( most ozone users shoot for ~350mv as the cut off)
One thing not commonly discussed is ozone's effect on certain traces, like it's tendency to convert bromine to bromate as well as modulating the bioavailability of PVP forms of iodine/ iodate that are used in some additives/ salt mixes , level would have to be fairly elevated to cause issues, but it's caused major issues for a few reefers, iron too is affected, but is reduced in a non toxic form unlike the other two I believe.
I would advise once you have gotten the dinos under control/ reduced O3 usage to maybe send off an ICP to see where your trace levels are as O3 use can rapidly accelerate depletion of some.

Best of luck

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone can certainly be effective in combatting dinos and other pest algaes, however, if it does happen to be ostreopsis the UV will work a lot faster. I'm sure you have read up quite a bit about the safe application of ozone,using an air dryer, activated carbon etc etc, also you aren't really reaching high levels ( most ozone users shoot for ~350mv as the cut off)
One thing not commonly discussed is ozone's effect on certain traces, like it's tendency to convert bromine to bromate as well as modulating the bioavailability of PVP forms of iodine/ iodate that are used in some additives/ salt mixes , level would have to be fairly elevated to cause issues, but it's caused major issues for a few reefers, iron too is affected, but is reduced in a non toxic form unlike the other two I believe.
I would advise once you have gotten the dinos under control/ reduced O3 usage to maybe send off an ICP to see where your trace levels are as O3 use can rapidly accelerate depletion of some.

Best of luck

Thanks so much. Yeah. Once I get past the current problem, I plan on going back to very limited use of O3. I do have an ICP test kit that I haven't used yet because the flooding in Europe disrupted the lab.

I currently have my Apex programmed to kill the O3 generator if it reaches 350. I am using an air dryer. I have a bag of GAC laying on top of my skimmer...

OP
OP
ScottF

ScottF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to be clear, I don't think the dinos directly killed those two acros. I think either the die off of snails/CuC inverts or my disruption of the tank fighting them caused the damage.

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 54 33.1%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 79 48.5%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 32 19.6%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 40 24.5%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 42 25.8%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back