Bare bottom, sand, or ??

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general I know the 2 main options for the bottom of my aquarium is BB or sand, but I’ve heard of people constructing some type of false bottom to keep rock from sitting on glass. I’m curious if some of you could post what you’ve used? I’d like to just go bare bottom but this being my first tank, I’m a little skeptical because I’ve read BB is more difficult initially.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my tanks are bb. I’m starting a zoa garden to cover the glass :) some people put down tile first to protect the bottom glass
A7E24D12-F787-4FF3-A7B7-567E9609269E.jpeg
E1B86007-6D8A-4FBF-AD1F-0FAD0E88BD48.jpeg
4A569915-9E20-49AD-9EAD-91A83DA2C644.jpeg
C295A065-5B51-46C0-A750-415D690B2571.jpeg
75604D5F-E525-43C2-8EA0-1C5664C537B8.jpeg

Twotone24v

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a big sheet of ABS plastic that I trimmed to size and siliconed to the bottom. Your 2 options are usually smooth or rough, I ended up with the smooth finish but either will be covered in coralline algae eventually I like what I ended up with.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sand. I put some egg crate, fluorescent light diffuser panel, down first, then my rock aquascape, and then sand. The egg crate protects the glass and keeps the rocks from sliding (not glued together). Working well after 1.5+ years in my current tank.

OP
OP
ddaddy2420

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sand. I put some egg crate, fluorescent light diffuser panel, down first, then my rock aquascape, and then sand. The egg crate protects the glass and keeps the rocks from sliding (not glued together). Working well after 1.5+ years in my current tank.
Any issues with build up getting in the egg crate? Is it difficult to clean or do you even bother with cleaning it??

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't bother cleaning it. I'm of the school of thought that you don't mess with your sand. It's about 3" deep and contains the anaerobic bacteria (I think that's what it's called: purple and rust colored).

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had both but prefer bare. Have sand now because of leopard wrasse. Some use cutting board like materials to cover bottom of tank and protect it from falling rock. Bare is much easier to keep clean and looks cool when coraline and or coral grows on the bottom.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done both. My patience always lost out and I put sand back in. Just got frustrated fighting the instability without the sand as biofilter. Plus I like the aesthetics of sand.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom is very very difficult the first year. The benefits outweigh the difficulty for me though.

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom is very very difficult the first year. The benefits outweigh the difficulty for me though.
I don't think it's very very difficult the first year. If your good at getting your detritus out of the barebottom tank(I remove as much as possible 2x a week) it's just "about" as easy as a tank with gravel the first year. After that first year or so it's way easier than a tank with gravel/sand. I 100% agree that the benefits outweigh the difficulty.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's very very difficult the first year. If your good at getting your detritus out of the barebottom tank(I remove as much as possible 2x a week) it's just "about" as easy as a tank with gravel the first year. After that first year or so it's way easier than a tank with gravel/sand. I 100% agree that the benefits outweigh the difficulty.
It's harder than having sand. Less surface area for bacteria.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both and in the next month or so I am starting a 120 gal and I am deliberating this same question.
What made it much easier yrs ago was that fact that I was starting with live rock and that made the transition to BB much easier. This time I am starting with dry rock and not really looking forward to having sand in spite of the fact that it adds so much surface area to help with the bio load.
A BB tank would benefit from those bio blocks for the sump, but as I have been reading they leach aluminum. What to do.
I am going to a LPS and trying to buy a few live rocks to supplement the dry and take it SLOW.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been BB for the past 20 years but I'm debating BB vs sand for my next build, and if I go with sand, I'm considering a plenum.

1) Is anybody still using a plenum? I used one 26 yrs ago for about 6 years (before BB became the fad) but am uncertain as to its benefit mainly because of the inferior technology at the time for comparison purposes today.

2) For those using sand, do you think it is more difficult to keep NO3 and PO4 at low levels (2-5 and less than 0.10, respectively) initially, and, after 5-10 years?

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any truth to barebottoms being much harder in the beginning. By harder i mean, more issues that a bed of sand would help with...
So this isn’t first hand experience, but I’ve read in many a forum and BRS TV has a few episodes about this. It does seem that reduced bacterial populations cause more initial issues but longer term stability is increased.
I’m agonizing over the decision. I have a new 100 gallon Waterbox on order and can’t decide how I want to go.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back