Possible silicone failing/or about to (yes it's RedSea...)

OP
OP
jibson

jibson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hunch that the original RS Design team were let go after these problems first started and what is weird is that I heard they all got hired by Boeing? I wonder if that's true?

Slip Fail GIF
This made me laugh terribly. Thanks for brightening may day despite my tank issue!

OP
OP
jibson

jibson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We see weekly RS failure threads. Yet we see 2 new RS build threads a day. How does this keep happening? How do people keep buying them?
I guess some people say it's the main tank everyone buys so we just see more posts about them to some degree.
Not sure if I disagree as big tanks, small tanks, whatever, always seam split right down the middle due to their awful designed and structured cabinet and even sealing of silicone. They must get some person off the street to do it.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the cool kid points!

Also the.. it won’t happen to me..
Also because they are not aware there is a problem until they join this forum - which is after they've bought the tank. It's not as if Red Sea advertise their tank failures to prospective customers, is it?

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The armored seams is really for protection from scraper getting into the seams. I don't follow RS tanks, but is your tank wood or metal? Wooden stand may not last long term, metal stand is much better. Not a fan of the floating front glass either.

OP
OP
jibson

jibson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The armored seams is really for protection from scraper getting into the seams. I don't follow RS tanks, but is your tank wood or metal? Wooden stand may not last long term, metal stand is much better. Not a fan of the floating front glass either.
Any recommendations for a metal stand for a small 250(ish) litre? my custom is 750 and full metal stand is a beast, sadly this is wooden thanks to red sea

chip shop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this is why I'm so scared. Trouble is not many good tanks are 250 at the moment which is the limit for my 2nd story room. NYOS and waterbox look good but slightly too big. Waterbox and cade harder to come by in the UK :(
Can vouch for d&d reef pro

B&CinB.C.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also because they are not aware there is a problem until they join this forum - which is after they've bought the tank. It's not as if Red Sea advertise their tank failures to prospective customers, is it?
We almost bought one not knowing anything about the problems. Fortunately I did some research before we went ahead . Unfortunately the choices of tanks in Canada are pretty limited without a lot of extra expense and hassle. Ended up ordering an IM tank from the other side of the country. Also the lfs we were talking to about the Redsea system ( quite a ways from home ) wasn't talking about any problems. In fact when I said I had read about Redsea lights not lasting very long they got quite offensive.

Last edited:

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean. Have you actually seen progression of faliure or are you just noticing this? Take photos for the next few months of the areas in question and see if there’s change over time.
Bad idea, let's just wait an see if I'll spill 250 gallons of saltwater in my apartment.

B&CinB.C.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for a metal stand for a small 250(ish) litre? my custom is 750 and full metal stand is a beast, sadly this is wooden thanks to red sea
I like my Innovative Marine with the APS aluminum stand. I'm not sure if they're available where you are though

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours at this point does that look bad but I know red sea has problems with there bottom seams blowing out I would never buy a mass produce aquarium I have been in the hobby for 22 years and only buy from one custom aquarium builder Exotic Aquariums they have been in business for 30 years They sold there retail store and they are just building custom aquariums one at a time they pay very close to detail they go under Tropic Aquarium mfg Bob and Karen

Attachments

• received_1543589133257008.jpeg
    received_1543589133257008.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 45
  • received_399532226102093.jpeg
    received_399532226102093.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 41
  • received_497569509725495.jpeg
    received_497569509725495.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 57

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There is nothing wrong with that seam.

I have been very anti Red Sea and followed the failures for years. Unless it’s been recent, I haven’t seen a single G2 have issues. People have claimed it and told me their aunt’s dog’s brother thrice removed had one fail but again, zero proof.

The Red Sea seam failure is very distinct. You can see the sand getting into the silicone and it isn’t uniform at all. Very splotchy looking…like silicone tearing.

Your picture is NOT the Red Sea seam fail

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been very anti Red Sea and followed the failures for years. Unless it’s been recent, I haven’t seen a single G2 have issues. People have claimed it and told me their aunt’s dog’s brother thrice removed had one fail but again, zero proof.

The Red Sea seam failure is very distinct. You can see the sand getting into the silicone and it isn’t uniform at all. Very splotchy looking…like silicone tearing.

I agree. I’m part of the Red Sea failure club, but mine and the others were clear that an air bubble formed. At first it was laser straight, then it started to get worse and the bubble did move downward.

This is what it will look like if it’s failing. And mine lasted a couple months that way before the replacement got here.

43B0A472-A1FF-4961-B91B-96D428874A1F.jpeg 65D96062-480A-4E08-B996-DF5DD4A31659.jpeg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this have to do with armored seams?

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ride it out until it failed? Or switch everything once the new tank arrived?
I rode it out until the failure started to spread. I bought a 60g stock water container from a farm supply and moved everything in until the new one arrived.

grumpyguppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We see weekly RS failure threads. Yet we see 2 new RS build threads a day. How does this keep happening? How do people keep buying them?
I bought a RS in February of this year. This is the first I am hearing about defective seams. Bummer!

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a RS in February of this year. This is the first I am hearing about defective seams. Bummer!
Get clamps before it's too late
Wish you the best, I would look into other tanks

In the mean time Red Sea acknowledged the issue and upon advice from its customers, they have identified a solution to both repair existing leaks and prevent future ones. Simply buy this repair/upgrade kit and rest easy again!

1C1DFF3E-6BAB-4369-8962-0C21AFD12954.png

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

3 second search. RS said this was a G2. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/another-red-sea-reefer-max-failure.1067380/

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back