Best time of the year to buy a new tank on sale?

Best time of year to buy a new tank?

• Black Friday/Cyber Monday

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Holiday Sales

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • New Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tax Rebate Sales

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summer Sales

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Other (Explain In Comments)

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most are near mint and 20cents of the $1 of a new one.

Some are, certainly not most. I paid $1,600 for my ML265, then sold it 4 years on for $200. Pretty good deal for the chap that bought it because I know how it was treated. I have seen tanks represented as a few years old that were much older. Caveat emptor.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll have you know I bought a new 2017 Chevy Colorado off the showroom floor last year and I don't regret anything about it.

Sure you take a hit with the depreciation, but if it's not something you're going to sell for several years, if ever, why does it matter? Plus everything is all shiny and new and doesn't smell like someone smoked something in it or their dog threw up on the seats a few times.

My philosophy with used tanks (and used cars) is that you buy the tank as well as the previous owners problems. With used tanks you run the risk of jeopardized silicone joints, shoddy overflow holes, crooked stands, etc. With a new tank from Red Sea, you get the piece of mind that the new tank at least has a warranty period where if something does go wrong, you can at least probably get your money back or a replacement. That's worth it for me in sacrifice of a few hundred dollars saved.

I specifically wanted a reefer 170, if I had tried to buy used, I would still be waiting, I have not seen one used yet show up on any local buy and sell groups, and i would still be waiting.....lol

Same with my skimmer, I needed an in sump slim design since the 170 has a small sump, if I had waited to buy used, I would still be waiting.....lol

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I specifically wanted a reefer 170, if I had tried to buy used, I would still be waiting, I have not seen one used yet show up on any local buy and sell groups, and i would still be waiting.....lol

Same with my skimmer, I needed an in sump slim design since the 170 has a small sump, if I had waited to buy used, I would still be waiting.....lol

Same here, I have never seen a Reefer 250/350 on craigslist. One of my LFS's has an older used model for sale, fish ,coral and all, but it's been sitting unlevel in the store for a few years now and I'd be super worried about it in my home.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s been established that you want a new tank, right? If so then go for Black Friday. If you’re alright with a used tank then I think the beginning of summer is the best time. It’s kind of odd to me how seasonal this hobby is...especially up north. Northerners hunker down with their tanks all winter and the moment the snow melts this forum is filled with tank breakdown sale threads.

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm newer to the hobby started this year so I'm kinda just tagging along as I was curious about black Friday deals and such. If you are set on a new tank I'm of no help. I have no issues with used and if your like me just keep an eye on the Facebook marketplace and any local Facebook groups. I bought my 220 complete set up with rocks custom stand sump skimmer clown breeder tank and frag tank and more that I'm probably forgetting for less then just the empty tank would have cost new the guy had a baby on the way and had to convert his fish room to a nursery. My dad got a custom built 125 with ghost overflow sump stand kessil lights full apex skims skimmer and more for free as the guys work was making him move out of state and he couldn't take it with him

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm entitled to my opinion

Doesnt make sense sending $3000 on a brand new tank when really nice used tanks can be bought in near mint condition for $300

I'll take that $2700 savings 24/7 and go buy a new LED light system, skimmer and other accessories

most tanks in the 200-300$ range are like aqueons with a black trim and overflow box some people dont want.

cant compare em to a red sea i dont think anyone would ever let a red sea go for 300$ lol

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought almost everything around Black Friday last year including the tank. Overall savings, including general sales, reward points and special deals was 28%. I was pretty happy with that.

EDIT: whoops, updated the percent to the correct number.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm newer to the hobby started this year so I'm kinda just tagging along as I was curious about black Friday deals and such. If you are set on a new tank I'm of no help. I have no issues with used and if your like me just keep an eye on the Facebook marketplace and any local Facebook groups. I bought my 220 complete set up with rocks custom stand sump skimmer clown breeder tank and frag tank and more that I'm probably forgetting for less then just the empty tank would have cost new the guy had a baby on the way and had to convert his fish room to a nursery. My dad got a custom built 125 with ghost overflow sump stand kessil lights full apex skims skimmer and more for free as the guys work was making him move out of state and he couldn't take it with him
I'm more or less opposed to just used tanks, I keep my eye out for all of the other stuff, I will still need a skimmer, lights, RODI unit, dosing unit, rock, etc.. :)

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded earlier this year bc of a few deals I saw on CL. So that got the ball going. The I started to rethink buying used and wound up buying new.

The thought of spending a few hundred and not knowing if it had a problem or not didnt sit well with me.

I dont know the protocol for buying used but didnt know if I was going to ask people to fill up a tank with water and hang around to make sure it wasnt leaking.

But im also not one to buy many things used, aside from tools.

I cut costs in other areas if I was able to. I had a bunch of red oak laying around and built my own stand.

I gotta say the few big things I bought from BRS got me enough points to get a few smaller must haves. So look out for stuff like that.

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded earlier this year bc of a few deals I saw on CL. So that got the ball going. The I started to rethink buying used and wound up buying new.

The thought of spending a few hundred and not knowing if it had a problem or not didnt sit well with me.

I dont know the protocol for buying used but didnt know if I was going to ask people to fill up a tank with water and hang around to make sure it wasnt leaking.

But im also not one to buy many things used, aside from tools.

I cut costs in other areas if I was able to. I had a bunch of red oak laying around and built my own stand.

I gotta say the few big things I bought from BRS got me enough points to get a few smaller must haves. So look out for stuff like that.
When I bought my tank it was still completely full and running if you can imagine how much fun that was 10hrs to break down load it on a trailer take it home and get it up and running again

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never, ever seen a high quality built tank for 10% of it's new price (not Aqueon, Marineland,etc.) Most people that have the high end tanks know they're not common and demand a lot more for them. Still can be a great deal, but unless you're very good at identifying problems in the tank you could be getting a (fill in the gallons) flood for your savings.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@skimjim
Please read the title, it says "BEST TIME OF THE YEAR TO BUY A TANK ON SALE"
it doesnt say BEST PLACE TO BUY
Lets stay on topic guys.

Last edited:

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I have never seen a Reefer 250/350 on craigslist. One of my LFS's has an older used model for sale, fish ,coral and all, but it's been sitting unlevel in the store for a few years now and I'd be super worried about it in my home.

In the last 2 years I have seen 1 used reefer for sale but it was still north of 1,200 as it was one of the larger ones, and included nearly everything, just needed fish, sand, and water.

The $300 range used are typically the standard big box store tanks, top fin, Aqueon and such, which are not in my view comparable to a higher end tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back