Black spots on clownfish

ficertyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I've recently noticed some black spots appearing on my larger clownfish on both sides, around the pectoral fins. It looks like it could be hyper-melanization, but I don't have any anemones or stinging corals in the tank (GSP, zoas, toadstool and clove polyps only).

I haven't seen any of these spots on my smaller clown.

The tank is about 9 months old and the clowns were added together about 8 months ago. The most recent additions were the corals that got added about 2 months ago along with a tuxedo urchin.

Both are behaving normally, eating well and all that. Neither are rubbing/scratching on the rocks. Water parameters are typical for this tank (KH 6.9, NO3 27.8, pH 8.0, PO4 0.47, Salinity 34ppt), with only NO3 and PO4 being a little high lately, likely due to me being a little lazy with water changes.

Does this look like anything that I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

tempImageF9P30N.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I've recently noticed some black spots appearing on my larger clownfish on both sides, around the pectoral fins. It looks like it could be hyper-melanization, but I don't have any anemones or stinging corals in the tank (GSP, zoas, toadstool and clove polyps only).

The tank is about 9 months old and the clowns were added together about 8 months ago. The most recent additions were the corals that got added about 2 months ago along with a tuxedo urchin.

Both are behaving normally, eating well and all that. Neither are rubbing/scratching on the rocks. Water parameters are typical for this tank (KH 6.9, NO3 27.8, pH 8.0, PO4 0.47, Salinity 34ppt), with only NO3 and PO4 being a little high lately, likely due to me being a little lazy with water changes.

Thanks!

tempImageF9P30N.png
This looks like hyper-melanization which is a pigment when a clown gets stung by an anemone or even euphyllia coral. It will slowly dissipate and not affect the behavior of the fish

OP
OP
ficertyn

ficertyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like hyper-melanization which is a pigment when a clown gets stung by an anemone or even euphyllia coral. It will slowly dissipate and not affect the behavior of the fish

I don't have anemone or euphyllia in this tank.

The spots have been spreading on this clown, but are still localized around the pectoral fins. It started on the right side, but now there are one or two spots on the left as well.

Is hyper-melanization still the likely culprit?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have anemone or euphyllia in this tank.

The spots have been spreading on this clown, but are still localized around the pectoral fins. It started on the right side, but now there are one or two spots on the left as well.

Is hyper-melanization still the likely culprit?
There really isn’t any contagious disease that creates larger, more diffuse black spots like this. Black ich is tiny, like pepper grains. Digenean trematodes can create black cysts, but those look different - raised up with smooth sides.

That leaves hyper melanization as the most likely culprit….especially with no secondary symptoms.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

tempImageF9P30N.png
I am going to suggest 3 things - 1. You may be overanalyzing. 2. it could be hypermelanization due to stings, etc (as mentioned) 3. Often non-wild clowns develop these spots and are a non-issue...

Given #2 - I would watch for agression, scratching, etc. I would not worry about it (i.e. doubt its 'black ich'

EDIT - agree with Jay - I didn't see his post sorry

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU HAVE A REEFING MENTOR? BRAG ON THEM IN THE COMMENTS!

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I have before, but not currently.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not yet, but I'd like to have one.

• No.

• I am the mentor.

• Other (please explain).