Brazilian dragon moray compatibility.

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The info I've gathered on these eels is that they get about 3ft. That's about all I could find, I would assume it's similar to a jeweled moray as far as aggression. Anyways I've been thinking about adding it to my 180 with a fuscus trigger but my concern is that the trigger is 3 inches and I definitely don't want him to get hurt or killed. The eel I've been told is 8 inches.
Should I pass?

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add the eel to a trigger that small. If I am honest when I was at an LFS Aggressive fish were my least favorite to sell. It is a total toss-up what they will be ok with. With most aggressive eels if it can fit in their mouth it will be in their mouth. You really need large fish to avoid issues and keep the eel well-fed. Dragon eels are also aggressive not just predatory.

Some fish like Groupers and Lions will eat whatever can fit in their mouth but if the fish is large they leave it alone. I have seen dragon eels kill fish and not eat them. They are territorial and don't like other fish in their space.

OP
OP
Draven

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add the eel to a trigger that small. If I am honest when I was at an LFS Aggressive fish were my least favorite to sell. It is a total toss-up what they will be ok with. With most aggressive eels if it can fit in their mouth it will be in their mouth. You really need large fish to avoid issues and keep the eel well-fed. Dragon eels are also aggressive not just predatory.

Some fish like Groupers and Lions will eat whatever can fit in their mouth but if the fish is large they leave it alone. I have seen dragon eels kill fish and not eat them. They are territorial and don't like other fish in their space.
The eel was on sale and apparently the sale ended today anyways so I guess it's a sign to not do it. I was looking for a little goldentail moray when I found that BDM. The goldentails from my research are docile but I honestly have only found the banana morays and not one regular goldentail. I guess the search continues.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The info I've gathered on these eels is that they get about 3ft. That's about all I could find, I would assume it's similar to a jeweled moray as far as aggression. Anyways I've been thinking about adding it to my 180 with a fuscus trigger but my concern is that the trigger is 3 inches and I definitely don't want him to get hurt or killed. The eel I've been told is 8 inches.
Should I pass?
No trigger would be fine honestly

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I took that as a sign to just keep looking for a golden tail moray which isnt an aggressive species.
Impossible to find though! Snowflakes and zebra eels are very docile. I have those two, a jeweled and a white eye moray, the pebble tooth eels are far less aggressive. Only eel thats ever eaten a few fish was my jeweled. The white eye Ive caught eating fish that passed but he didnt kill them

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I took that as a sign to just keep looking for a golden tail moray which isnt an aggressive species.
With a 8 inch dragon moray, i would find it compatible with the trigger, if it was a bigger moray I would've said no, triggerfish are extremely hardy and I've had one with a eel before (had to give him away since i couldn't add any cuc) the eel which you mentioned in the other thread is indeed not a gymnothorax miliaris but doesn't look as aggressive

It is also at times not recommended to keep soft eels such as pebbletooths with extremely aggressive predators but it has been done, it is mainly because of incidents of triggers bullying the eel hence causing the eel to go off feed which does seem to be often

OP
OP
Draven

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The
With a 8 inch dragon moray, i would find it compatible with the trigger, if it was a bigger moray I would've said no, triggerfish are extremely hardy and I've had one with a eel before (had to give him away since i couldn't add any cuc) the eel which you mentioned in the other thread is indeed not a gymnothorax miliaris but doesn't look as aggressive

It is also at times not recommended to keep soft eels such as pebbletooths with extremely aggressive predators but it has been done, it is mainly because of incidents of triggers bullying the eel hence causing the eel to go off feed which does seem to be often

I actually went to buy it a few days ago and it was no longer on sale. Despite that it sold the next day.
Regardless my major concern was that within a year the eel would probably be 20 in and the trigger would be lucky to grow 1.5 inches.

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The

I actually went to buy it a few days ago and it was no longer on sale. Despite that it sold the next day.
Regardless my major concern was that within a year the eel would probably be 20 in and the trigger would be lucky to grow 1.5 inches.
If you really wanted that eel, in that year I am sure you would have plenty of flexibility, though i would still say, a eel of 20 inches would have a lot of difficulty trying to swallow a 5 inch tang, or better yet would have a lot of difficulty even damaging it due to the tangs sand paper like skin, the dorsal fin of the tang would give it an extra inch, but nonetheless I know that it wouldn't change much now since the eel was already sold, but this could be kept for future references!

OP
OP
Draven

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really wanted that eel, in that year I am sure you would have plenty of flexibility, though i would still say, a eel of 20 inches would have a lot of difficulty trying to swallow a 5 inch tang, or better yet would have a lot of difficulty even damaging it due to the tangs sand paper like skin, the dorsal fin of the tang would give it an extra inch, but nonetheless I know that it wouldn't change much now since the eel was already sold, but this could be kept for future references!
It's just a shame I'm always drawn to bad fish. The fimbriated moray is actually one of my favorites but it seems that they're borderline psycho.
Tessys are beautiful and though some people say 180g is big enough I personally disagree. I also wouldn't want the bioload of an eel that big.
The dark moray (G. Afer) I think is beautiful but they only seem to come in at 25+ in
Could just get a snowflake but I like having fish that you don't see everyday.

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a shame I'm always drawn to bad fish. The fimbriated moray is actually one of my favorites but it seems that they're borderline psycho.
Tessys are beautiful and though some people say 180g is big enough I personally disagree. I also wouldn't want the bioload of an eel that big.
The dark moray (G. Afer) I think is beautiful but they only seem to come in at 25+ in
Could just get a snowflake but I like having fish that you don't see everyday.
I personally love exotic eels, I have some of them and would love a collection

The eels i have:
Gymnothorax pseudothyrsoideus
Gymnothorax thyrsoideus
Gymnothorax favagineus
Gymnothorax punctatus
Echidna delicatula
Zibramuraena

Absolutely amazing eels, if you like suggestions and would like just one eel taking the spotlight it would definitely be the tessalata, i would say 210g is the minimum with lots of yellow tail damsels to add some activity

Personally, you can keep a Tess in a 180, that's only till they get to about 4 feet, that's when you need atleast a 300 gallon tank, for compatibility, no fish, unless it's small and fast as yellow tail damsels even then there's no guarantee

As for the gymnothorax fimbriatus, it's one of the most aggressive eels I've seen besides the tessalata, I've seen people keep the fimbriatus with the tessalata but the risk is high aswell as the budget of a tank size Lol

I would love the gymnothorax afer, but I can't order a specific species, i can only get what is in stock Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Draven

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love exotic eels, I have some of them and would love a collection

The eels i have:
Gymnothorax pseudothyrsoideus
Gymnothorax thyrsoideus
Gymnothorax favagineus
Gymnothorax punctatus
Echidna delicatula
Zibramuraena

Absolutely amazing eels, if you like suggestions and would like just one eel taking the spotlight it would definitely be the tessalata, i would say 210g is the minimum with lots of yellow tail damsels to add some activity

Personally, you can keep a Tess in a 180, that's only till they get to about 4 feet, that's when you need atleast a 300 gallon tank, for compatibility, no fish, unless it's small and fast as yellow tail damsels even then there's no guarantee

As for the gymnothorax fimbriatus, it's one of the most aggressive eels I've seen besides the tessalata, I've seen people keep the fimbriatus with the tessalata but the risk is high aswell as the budget of a tank size Lol

I would love the gymnothorax afer, but I can't order a specific species, i can only get what is in stock Lol
I want the trigger to be the focus of the tank personally. He currently lives with a white eye moray and despite his aggression he completely ignores the eel. I know white eyes pair up with other eels well so that along with the fact the my trigger doesn't seem to mind eels is why I'm looking for another eel.

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want the trigger to be the focus of the tank personally. He currently lives with a white eye moray and despite his aggression he completely ignores the eel. I know white eyes pair up with other eels well so that along with the fact the my trigger doesn't seem to mind eels is why I'm looking for another eel.
If that's the case then I would say that you could go for any eel which doesn't get over 6 feet Lol besides overly aggressive eels such as the fimbriatus, this is all depending on your tank size. I believe that tank size plays a big role in fish aggression, that includes eels aswell

OP
OP
Draven

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the case then I would say that you could go for any eel which doesn't get over 6 feet Lol besides overly aggressive eels such as the fimbriatus, this is all depending on your tank size. I believe that tank size plays a big role in fish aggression, that includes eels aswell
Do you know anything about the aggression of the purplemouth moray G. Vicinus? From what I've read they can be peaceful but they just look aggressive.

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know anything about the aggression of the purplemouth moray G. Vicinus? From what I've read they can be peaceful but they just look aggressive.
Not particularly, but judging from its jaw, i would say it's aggression is similar to my high fin moray, fairly aggressive, but again, I have not had that particular eel so I can't guarantee it, i do have my high fin moray with my white eye having no issues

OP
OP
Draven

Draven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not particularly, but judging from its jaw, i would say it's aggression is similar to my high fin moray, fairly aggressive, but again, I have not had that particular eel so I can't guarantee it, i do have my high fin moray with my white eye having no issues
I'll just have to keep an eye out for rare eels online and avoid ones with hook shaped jaws. Though it can definitely be annoying when sites update their pages and the only eels available are snowflakes, ribbons, and garden eels.

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just have to keep an eye out for rare eels online and avoid ones with hook shaped jaws. Though it can definitely be annoying when sites update their pages and the only eels available are snowflakes, ribbons, and garden eels.
There's a website called nyaquatics which do sell some exotic eels, you could check it out

TOP 10 Trending Threads

BUY OR DIY! WHICH DO YOU PREFER? SHARE YOUR DIY PROJECTS IN THE THREAD!

• I prefer to buy!

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • I prefer to DIY!

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • It depends on the project or equipment I need!

Votes: 59 60.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back