BRS prices?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised that they opted to fill those orders. Nice gesture is an understatement. It is a departure from what is expected ore required. Some people got some once in a lifetime deals on some stuff.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has always had awesome customer service and that’s a really cool move to make during a customer appreciation event!

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn’t get anything but maybe people that did place orders thought it was just a once in a lifetime awesome sale ? Can’t say for sure that people knew it was a mistake and felt entitled to steal merchandise. I mean if you’re paying for it that’s not really theft.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get anything but maybe people that did place orders thought it was just a once in a lifetime awesome sale ? Can’t say for sure that people knew it was a mistake and felt entitled to steal merchandise. I mean if you’re paying for it that’s not really theft.
I am sure there were both - people that thought there was a sale, and people that rushed to take advantage of an obvious mistake after it became obvious, even as it was being corrected.

If you put 20 items in the cart and the cashier misses a few of them during checkout, do you grin and walk out or do you say something? Like I said above, "dong the right thing" can be viewed from both sides of situations like this.

How many people are getting their items shipped, knowing it was a mistake and contacting BRS to offer to pay the full price, not the markdown error price?

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sure there were both - people that thought there was a sale, and people that rushed to take advantage of an obvious mistake after it became obvious, even as it was being corrected.

If you put 20 items in the cart and the cashier misses a few of them during checkout, do you grin and walk out or do you say something? Like I said above, "dong the right thing" can be viewed from both sides of situations like this.

How many people are getting their items shipped, knowing it was a mistake and contacting BRS to offer to pay the full price, not the markdown error price?
True. I see it both ways. Very good example too.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on both sides of the equation doing retail and wholesale. Let me assure those concerned about BRS being taken advantage that plenty of businesses have tried taking advantage of me when I was wholesaling. They call it capitalism or just doing business. Let's not crucify those who got a undeserved discount as if they stole candy from a kid. Lets not forget all the LFS giving store credit then asking full retail on that credit.

No dog in this fight but lets perhaps not act like owning a business being holier than thou and not ever taking advantage of pricing if it were to fall on their lap. It's literally how capitalism works.

Having said that. Were it being shipped to me I'd cancel it but I'm not going to brow beat another because they chose to accept the wind fall.

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get in on this either, but it is not the customers responsibility to make sure the business is getting enough of a profit. The company could have cancelled and refunded orders, but didn’t. That’s not stealing. This is a good example of a company keeping its customers happy, and may even increase its sales from the gesture.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get in on this either, but it is not the customers responsibility to make sure the business is getting enough of a profit. The company could have cancelled and refunded orders, but didn’t. That’s not stealing. This is a good example of a company keeping its customers happy, and may even increase its sales from the gesture.

They had me as a customer and this keeps that status quo and I got no benefit from it but love customer care that goes beyond expected.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on both sides of the equation doing retail and wholesale. Let me assure those concerned about BRS being taken advantage when plenty of businesses have tried taking advantage of me when I was wholesaling. They call it capitalism or just doing business. Let's not crucify those who got a undeserved discount as if they stole candy from a kid. Lets not forget all the LFS giving store credit then asking full retail on that credit.

No dog in this fight but lets perhaps not act like owning a business being holier than thou and not ever taking advantage of pricing if it were to fall on their lap. It's literally how capitalism works.

Having said that. Were it being shipped to me I'd cancel it but I'm not going to brow beat another because they chose to accept the wind fall.
Well said. It was like a 30 min window and nobody knew for sure what was going on. I don't feel bad for getting a deal, but I also wouldn't have made a stink had the orders been canceled. The soapboxing and attempts to call others out in this thread as immoral is ridiculous. BRS gives away an insane amount of goods during most of their "events", I doubt this was really much of a blip on their radar. Let's all remember, they are no longer a small local business, they are an evil empire that doesnt care about us hobbyists anymore, according to many around here.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I worked at Kroger a while ago, we often had people come up with an item that was "incorrectly priced," even though most of the time, it was the person trying to get something cheaper. Our policy was that we would honor it if there wasn't a significant price difference. I ended up canceling my BRS order one due to a credit card issue where I got charged multiple times, but also something felt kind of wrong taking advantage of a site due to a glitch. So I understand your point @BeanAnimal

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said. It was like a 30 min window and nobody knew for sure what was going on. I don't feel bad for getting a deal, but I also wouldn't have made a stink had the orders been canceled. The soapboxing and attempts to call others out in this thread as immoral is ridiculous. BRS gives away an insane amount of goods during most of their "events", I doubt this was really much of a blip on their radar. Let's all remember, they are no longer a small local business, they are an evil empire that doesnt care about us hobbyists anymore, according to many around here.
I got one heck of a deal, and I am extraordinarily grateful for it. Having my moral character called into question because I logged onto the website and figured "what the heck if it happens great, if not, doesn't hurt to try I guess" is crazy to me. Could they have cancelled it? Sure they could've! I even called them to report that I think I bought something super discounted and asked what they wanted to do about it. I wouldn't have been mad because there was nothing lost to me. I didn't "deserve" to be owed what I bought but they were gracious enough to honor it and for that I got lucky and it will help my reef tremendously. Hell, I was even told congrats on the phone by the BRS guy I talked to!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I worked at Kroger a while ago, we often had people come up with an item that was "incorrectly priced," even though most of the time, it was the person trying to get something cheaper. Our policy was that we would honor it if there wasn't a significant price difference. I ended up canceling my BRS order one due to a credit card issue where I got charged multiple times, but also something felt kind of wrong taking advantage of a site due to a glitch. So I understand your point @BeanAnimal
"I swear these standing rib roasts were marked at $1.00 each and had those big red 'Buy One Get One Free' stickers on them. Get your manager, I won't stand for this! In fact I am calling the local news scam line and you people will be on TV".

Or the

"Yeah sorry, I must have pushed the wrong button, I did not mean to weigh those two 12 pound roasts as baking potatoes. Anyway, now that you mention it, I don't think we want the roasts anyway, can you put them back while I finish self checkout?"

skey44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an ultra reef akula 180 skimmer for under $300 on BRS. I don’t have my tank yet but price was too good to
pass up. Not the skimmer I’d planned to get but for that price I had to. Probably nicer than the skimmer I would have gotten.
I think it was meant to be on clearance, but that amount of clearance seems extreme to me. Either way I’m happy about it, much more skimmer than the comparably priced octo 110sss.

IMG_7355.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an ultra reef akula 180 skimmer for under $300 on BRS. I don’t have my tank yet but price was too good to
pass up. Not the skimmer I’d planned to get but for that price I had to. Probably nicer than the skimmer I would have gotten.
I think it was meant to be on clearance, but that amount of clearance seems extreme to me. Either way I’m happy about it, much more skimmer than the comparably priced octo 110sss.

IMG_7355.jpeg
I purchased the same skimmer only because I couldn’t pass it up for the price. However I don’t believe it was part of the pricing error. I believe it’s deeply discounted because they are no longer going to sell that brand so they’re trying to get rid of the remaining stock.

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7355.jpeg
Got the BK Double cone 180 today for $500. Saved $760 of retail price.

Attachments

• IMG_0552.png
    IMG_0552.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 9

skey44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotya, I get what you’re saying but wow. You’d think they’d at least try and get their money back. That has to be under wholesale price. Either way I’ll take an ultra reef for the same price as an octo 110sss any day. Also odd all the ultra reef aren’t on sale if they’re not carrying the brand anymore. According to aquarium specialty who is the importer from my understanding they have it for 599 and they just aren’t doing ac pumps anymore. Maybe not part of the pricing error, I agree, but crazy price for that skimmer.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I swear these standing rib roasts were marked at $1.00 each and had those big red 'Buy One Get One Free' stickers on them. Get your manager, I won't stand for this! In fact I am calling the local news scam line and you people will be on TV".

Or the

"Yeah sorry, I must have pushed the wrong button, I did not mean to weigh those two 12 pound roasts as baking potatoes. Anyway, now that you mention it, I don't think we want the roasts anyway, can you put them back while I finish self checkout?"
Spot on with how people were, haha.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure whats going on with them and Reef Octo either. Majority of skimmers and other items are out of stock. Usually if they no long carry something they "discontinue" it. A couple items say that, but most don't.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 70 26.7%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 114 43.5%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 64 24.4%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.3%
Back