Can you have a coldwater saltwater aquarium?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can just buy captive bred ones when available or get them from a licensed collector getting them from any of the areas other than the protected islands. I used to buy them every year as young of the year so that knew how old they were and so the could be kept together longer without developing into a hierarchy with a dominant male. If I was fishing for something in San Francisco I would be going for one of the Fringehead species. Probably a one spot Fringehead or something smaller than the Sarcastic Fringehead.

I tried to get one and was told only one guy collects them and he wasn’t doing it right now. Not sure but I haven’t seen them pop up anywhere.
I was literally about to write the same thing!

If you're really in San Jose, even with a chiller you'd need to be running your air conditioner constantly to keep a lot of the fish many think of as "cold water" but different people have different definitions. It would likely take a lot of money to maintain the temp in a hot climate imo.

You just need to buy an acrylic tank of 1/2 inch thickness minimum then put a chiller on it.

If you do glass, the tank will sweat like crazy if it’s warm/hot out.

TheClown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a top down view of my old tank

FB_IMG_1716936045434.jpg
That’s really nice!! I love the giant greens

TheClown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get one and was told only one guy collects them and he wasn’t doing it right now. Not sure but I haven’t seen them pop up anywhere.

You just need to buy an acrylic tank of 1/2 inch thickness minimum then put a chiller on it.

There are places for the corals and anemones but not really the fish :/

TheClown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya I have had one a long time now, 10 years? idk!

Had various fish and my catalina gobies finally died of old age...

My photo is a fluffy sculpin and crevice kelpfish

I live no where near the ocean to getting stock for me is a nightmare...

My temperate tank is one of my easier tanks. I do run a chiller and keep it at 63 deg F. I run a 1/15 hp Artica and it uses less watts than my heaters in an equivalent tank. You can purchase Catalina Gobies that have been acclimated for warmer tropical tanks and re-acclimate them to there proper temperatures. Don't listen to @bushdoc... about the biological process being difficult. that is a bunch of Hooey! LOL... I am having low nutrient issues at the moment.
FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_1028.jpeg
What kind of octo coral is that?? And where did you get it, it’s been a while since the first post but my tank has come into balance, and I would like to see if it can support some more corals- I got my first corals (or corallimorph) recently, the California strawberry anemone,
IMG_4017.jpeg
and they are doing awesome, multiplying and all.

AquaticEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of octo coral is that?? And where did you get it, it’s been a while since the first post but my tank has come into balance, and I would like to see if it can support some more corals- I got my first corals (or corallimorph) recently, the California strawberry anemone,
IMG_4017.jpeg
Are you guys on FB? Post up in the Coldwater Owners Group :)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Luckily or not... I live in SoCal and we have no humidity, So my RS170 works fine. Maybe a couple times a year I will get condensation, but that's it.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4017.jpeg
Those are Strawberries also. I have a lot less, because StarLa went on a rampage and decided to eat some and also some of my smaller anemones. What can I say, but scavengers will scavenge. It has gotten a bit better because now if she is hungry she will come up to the top to let me know.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coldwater tanks are certainly possible and not that difficult. However, they differ in a few key areas from tropical reef keeping.

First, the water temp results in sweating and condensation generation on all non-insulated tanks, pipes and equipment. It’s just like leaving a glass of ice water on the counter….it sweats. My system eliminated sweating by using a tank and sump made from 1” thick acrylic. Plumbing was 80 schedule. Equipment was always in-sump.

Second, biological processes run quite a bit slower. It takes many months to cycle a tank.

Third, lights are mostly irrelevant since most livestock will be non photosynthetic. Heavy feedings are thus required along with powerful skimmers and extreme nutrient export.

Fourth, a powerful chiller is needed depending on the desired set point. I ran my system for several years which mimicked the Puget Sound environment with a set point of 55F. Attached is a video of that system

What am incredible tank! Wow!

AquaticEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a FB account (Facebook right?) :(
Yeah on Facebook.
Luckily or not... I live in SoCal and we have no humidity, So my RS170 works fine. Maybe a couple times a year I will get condensation, but that's it.
I used www.dpcalc.org to calculate the dew point to know what temp/humidity I would get condensation at. Every 1/2" of acrylic will give you about a 5 degree buffer between the water temp and the air temp. My display tank is 1.25" acrylic so I have about a 12 degree variance, my sump is thin acrylic though for now because with the calculator I found it would need to be over 50% humidity and over 80°F in my basement where the tank is before it would condensate at 55°F water temp. With HVAC on the house maintaining it at 68F and 40% humidity, it's impossible to have condensation under those parameters.

Back