OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one really eating, gem only one observed eating. Fed fish and now the clown swimming upside down.

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding at 38.75 hours post prazipro. Clown now lying in sand bed

Attachments

• IMG_1374.mov
    7.1 MB
  • IMG_1373.mov
    26.9 MB
OP
OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9/7 at 7:30pm 38.5 hours ago. Roughly 35 hours was when the picture of purple tang was taken
This still following the expectation of flukes? Severe infection and fish dying due to them falling off?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9/7 at 7:30pm 38.5 hours ago. Roughly 35 hours was when the picture of purple tang was taken

Ugh, prazi should have stopped symptom progression by now. With severe flukes, fish can become worse at first, as the flukes drop off, leaving open holes. However, if they make it 24 hours, they then begin to recover.

The clown’s symptom is likely going to be fatal.

There could be multiple issues in play here. Trouble is, any protozoan treatment would require that the fish be isolated from the invertebrates.

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 40gallon breeder set up (unfortunately has a slow leak along back seal) and water is at temp, Salinity slightly (1.020) low just added more salt. I have coppersafe and a hanna copper tester if running copper is needed.
Ugh, prazi should have stopped symptom progression by now. With severe flukes, fish can become worse at first, as the flukes drop off, leaving open holes. However, if they make it 24 hours, they then begin to recover.

The clown’s symptom is likely going to be fatal.

There could be multiple issues in play here. Trouble is, any protozoan treatment would require that the fish be isolated from the invertebrates.

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish are less active today, but nine are hiding in corners of tank. Only have seen the blue morph when food was out but didn’t see him eat.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.mov
    14.3 MB
  • IMG_1384.mov
    15.1 MB
OP
OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water transferred to 20L and 29 gallon to see how they are holding water.

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple didn’t eat recent feeding and is swimming around slowly very rigid. Foxface and Gem ate, and are eating Nori. Blue morph ate ROE but is not eating Nori.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple didn’t eat recent feeding and is swimming around slowly very rigid. Foxface and Gem ate, and are eating Nori. Blue morph ate ROE but is not eating Nori.

That rigid body swimming is not something I've seen before except in clownfish with brooklynella.

I think this is going to end up being something that just cannot be diagnosed through visual symptoms. What I do in those cases isn't practical for most, I take a skin scrape of the fish and look at it under a microscope. I can then immediately see if it is protozoan or flukes. If it is bacterial, I wouldn't see anything under a dissecting scope.

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rigid body swimming is not something I've seen before except in clownfish with brooklynella.

I think this is going to end up being something that just cannot be diagnosed through visual symptoms. What I do in those cases isn't practical for most, I take a skin scrape of the fish and look at it under a microscope. I can then immediately see if it is protozoan or flukes. If it is bacterial, I wouldn't see anything under a dissecting scope.
He is looking thin and still just swimming slow laps in tank. Honestly, don’t think he could survive me trying to capture and move to another tank.

The gem is acting the most normal, but almost as his eyes are so cloudy he can’t see.

All the other fish besides goby and one remaining clown appear less active, but are eating.

At this point, is it wait and see approach? Unfortunately, tomorrow is going to be a long workday and won’t be around tank much.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is looking thin and still just swimming slow laps in tank. Honestly, don’t think he could survive me trying to capture and move to another tank.

The gem is acting the most normal, but almost as his eyes are so cloudy he can’t see.

All the other fish besides goby and one remaining clown appear less active, but are eating.

At this point, is it wait and see approach? Unfortunately, tomorrow is going to be a long workday and won’t be around tank much.

Sorry - I think "wait and see" will just allow whatever this is to keep getting worse. I just can't diagnose this without a microscope. That is similar to if you went to your doctor with a severe headache - they can't tell you what's happening without doing an MRI or something.

Pulling the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with coppersafe would be the alternative treatment in case this is a protozoan disease. Unlikely to be a viral disease and primary bacterial diseases involving all fish are almost unheard of.

Jay

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly woke up to more death this morning, purple, golden wrasse and clown

Attachments

• IMG_1394.jpeg
    IMG_1394.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1393.jpeg
    IMG_1393.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1392.jpeg
    IMG_1392.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1391.jpeg
    IMG_1391.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1388.jpeg
    IMG_1388.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I think "wait and see" will just allow whatever this is to keep getting worse. I just can't diagnose this without a microscope. That is similar to if you went to your doctor with a severe headache - they can't tell you what's happening without doing an MRI or something.

Pulling the fish to a treatment tank and dosing with coppersafe would be the alternative treatment in case this is a protozoan disease. Unlikely to be a viral disease and primary bacterial diseases involving all fish are almost unheard of.

Jay
For adding copper, best to go to full dose or start lower?

Fritz + Coopersafe okay for the 2 remaining wrasses?

Will move once home from work, hopefully there are fish still left.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly woke up to more death this morning, purple, golden wrasse and clown

Sorry to see. When massive loss like this occurs, it is usually too late to change/start a treatment, but at this point, a FW dip on the remaining fish and moving them to a treatment tank with copper is all I can suggest - that is a "Hail Mary" plan at best though....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For adding copper, best to go to full dose or start lower?

Fritz + Coopersafe okay for the 2 remaining wrasses?

Will move once home from work, hopefully there are fish still left.
Go right into full copper......2.5 ppm

OP
OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gem and goby only ones to eat today. This is painful to watch happen.

29 and 20 tanks have copper added, will test levels and move over any survivors tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_1396.mov
    19.1 MB
OP
OP
L

Lostoften

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate up to 0.44, guess strategy switches from saving fish to coral. Hard re-entry into the hobby. Most fish and money ever lost in the four tanks I have had.

Back