Citric Acid

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I use it to clean pumps etc. But the question is,

Can I run citric acid in my salt water reservoir to clean in? Say a mix ran for some hours, then dumped and flushed.

Will this have any adverse affect on my next batch of pre mixed salt water?

happysalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like citric acid and have used it in my reservoir before to clean it out. I just used it at a lower Concentration and rinsed it out twice before reusing.

So, I use it to clean pumps etc. But the question is,

Can I run citric acid in my salt water reservoir to clean in? Say a mix ran for some hours, then dumped and flushed.

Will this have any adverse affect on my next batch of pre mixed salt water?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you rinse it, it should be fine.

After all the publicity over the vinegar eating certain types of plastic over time, I decided ( decades long vinegar user) to give citric acid a try and it does clean very well.
I also found it easier to store and it is cheaper in my area.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
the biggest draw back I can think of is if there is any residual it could cause your ph to drop a touch

edit:
I should have said, it's important to rinse everything well with any type of cleaner.

Last edited:

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used citric acid exclusively for some time now. You should always triple rinse. Good example, I have XF230s that have been in continuous service since Dec. 2018, no failures, never disassembled. To clean, just turn off, drop in bucket (use the magnet), run 15 minutes, run in freshwater bucket 5 minutes, refreshing the water twice. Turn off, back in tank.

In you case, I would make the citric acid solution, wipe it down, and rinse it out. Easy Peasy

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CItric acid, vinegar, muriatic acid......one or two rinses and you'll be fine. Even if there is slight residual remaining, the dilution factor is so great, it won't matter.

chadg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to clean out my 65 gal salt mix tank also. It has a good amount of brown 'crud' buildup on the sides. What do you use for citric acid? I had purchased a small thing of the Tunze for pumps, but that was really $$$. Is that any different than the food grade I see on Amazon that is much cheaper? Let's say the Amazon food grade is good. How much would be enough to fill the 65 gal and let it soak for a bit?

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to clean out my 65 gal salt mix tank also. It has a good amount of brown 'crud' buildup on the sides. What do you use for citric acid? I had purchased a small thing of the Tunze for pumps, but that was really $$$. Is that any different than the food grade I see on Amazon that is much cheaper? Let's say the Amazon food grade is good. How much would be enough to fill the 65 gal and let it soak for a bit?
I personally just add 50g of fresh water.to my salt mix. Add about 3-4 cups of citric acid. Run for 24 hours. Then dump, rinse, fill with fresh water again. Dump again. And good to go. Come out super clean everytime

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally just add 50g of fresh water.to my salt mix. Add about 3-4 cups of citric acid. Run for 24 hours. Then dump, rinse, fill with fresh water again. Dump again. And good to go. Come out super clean everytime
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. Do you use 50g of RO/DI or just tap water mixed with Citric Acid? I'm planning on cleaning out my 60g mixing station container but I'm deciding whether RO/DI or tap water would work.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. Do you use 50g of RO/DI or just tap water mixed with Citric Acid? I'm planning on cleaning out my 60g mixing station container but I'm deciding whether RO/DI or tap water would work.
Just tap water

TOP 10 Trending Threads

SHOULD WE KEEP PREDATORY FISH IN HOME AQUARIUMS? SHARE YOUR FAVORITE PREDATORY FISH?

• Yes, but only if the owner is adequately prepared and knowledgeable about keeping predatory fish.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No, predatory fish require more care than what we can give in our homes.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • It depends on which predatory fish is in question.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back