Clam color

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a couple of baby Croceas (2 inches), mail order.

They arrived with patchy colour on their mantles. At first I assumed it was transit stress however now after two weeks they are not really regaining colour. They seem healthy, full mantle extension, fast shadow response, fast recovery, tight inlet. They are receiving around 100 to 120 PAR for 5 to 6 hours and 60 to 80 for 5 to 6 hours.

Should I expect to see colour return or do some clams just have patchy zooxanthella?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colors on clams are best seen top down. Looking from the side does not show the greatest color.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO you have an pictures? Not sure exactly what you are saying is wrong. Also for crocea calm that is low par should be up near the 200-250 range unless your acclimating it baby 2in and under need this.. They are rock borrowing clams so place on rock work for them to attach.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slawman

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5370.JPG

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Reefer40b. I don't know about the coloring, but the clams need more light to survive.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Croceas love the light. I had mine on the sandbed when they were fully grown at about 120par and they were fine for many years. However, as babies, you want to make sure you are feeding them well and that includes the light. Get it higher and safe in the tank. Stir up the sandbed and blow rocks off every couple days. Add some reef roids or similar twice a week. They love all this.
Croceas that look purple from the side, usually look green or blue from the top. Get some top pics down so we can see the whole mantel.

OP
OP
Slawman

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I am going to leave him to attach for another week or so then place him. I will get some top down shots then. I made a new years resolution to stop sticking my hand in the tank every 10 minutes....:))

He has some nice blue popping dots with some blanks. I suspect his mantle will re-populate however i don't know.

I had a crocea around this spot for 8 years under the same lights so I am not sure light is really an issue.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That still probably is not enough light for T. Crocea. They are the most light hungry clam out there.

The patches could be just area where the clam has no color - not all of them are beautiful on every square inch and this is why they have ultra, first grade, second grade, etc. Time will tell, but it totally could repopulate the area.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time they recover. Sometime there are scars there and Zooxanthellae never grow there again.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 70 36.6%
  • No.

Votes: 110 57.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 5.8%
Back