OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the water is well aerated as well as heated (an airline works fine) for at least 20 minutes prior to the dip (and during) and splash a little tank water in just before the fish to help match the ph.

I've had an air stone in since I put the heater in... it's a small heater, so it's taking longer than I expected to warm up. I will splash some tank water in though.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just put the darker one in. Nothing came off of her. Should I do the other, or with until spots show back up?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just put the darker one in. Nothing came off of her. Should I do the other, or with until spots show back up?

That’s up to you if it were me and both fish are strong now I’d do the other one also

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they having any marital issues ;) ? Sometimes after a scuffle a loose scale can sort of resemble a fluke. I've honestly never encountered hypermelanization on black clowns, I've assumed it was because they are already black... Maybe it could be a sting from a coral. Any of the usual suspects in the tank currently? Torch, elegance, hammers, less than hospitable anemones?

Is it only on one clown (the spots) and is that the one you dipped?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they having any marital issues ;) ? Sometimes after a scuffle a loose scale can sort of resemble a fluke. I've honestly never encountered hypermelanization on black clowns, I've assumed it was because they are already black... Maybe it could be a sting from a coral. Any of the usual suspects in the tank currently? Torch, elegance, hammers, less than hospitable anemones?

Is it only on one clown (the spots) and is that the one you dipped?

In her original post she says both fish have had. These moving spots.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In her original post she says both fish have had. These moving spots.
Ah, ok. Usually if one fish has flukes, they all do anyway... so in that case it's probably not flukes. Hmm. This is a weird one...

Just went back and noticed the frogspawn in the picture, so my guess is probably that. Just not used to seeing reactions in a black clown vs. orange...

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edited after hearing they move.

What size sand do you use? If its a larger grain size like reef flakes perhaps these are sticking to their mucous coat.

Another creature that can move and drop off are mites but these are usually species specific and i have not heard of an anemone fish variety being in the hobby.

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, sorry this is going on. @Bleigh
If you need I can get my Rodi going and get you some water in an emergency. Let me know if you need anything.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an inexpensive RODI that is easy to use at a good price. I know a number of people that use this unit and all have said they are very happy with it.

Aquatic Life RO Buddie Four Stage Reverse Osmosis System with Color Changing Mixed Bed Deionization Cartridge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00204CQF6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Dq2KCb9AB84BH
I used an RO Buddie when I had a smaller tank. It worked out great! I still use it on occasion along with my bigger RODI when I need to crank out many gallons quickly.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an RO Buddie when I had a smaller tank. It worked out great! I still use it on occasion along with my bigger RODI when I need to crank out many gallons quickly.

@dantimdad runs a booster pump on his and has really good gpd output. I'll be doing the same set up when I can.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They've both had spots come and go. Neither had spots when I put the darker on in a bath. I was thinking I would put the orange one in when I saw spots show up on him that way I could see if something came off, but I haven't seen any spots in over 24 hours on either of them. I do have two frogspawns. I've seen them swim through one of them several times. They don't seem to be fighting at all. In fact, they seem to really like each other and be "cuddling". I've seen them both shake at each other.

Edited after hearing they move.

What size sand do you use? If its a larger grain size like reef flakes perhaps these are sticking to their mucous coat.

Another creature that can move and drop off are mites but these are usually species specific and i have not heard of an anemone fish variety being in the hobby.

I'm not sure what the grain size is. It's pretty small, but not terribly fine. Again, the spots are see through, they've not been on their bodies, just their fins.

Hey, sorry this is going on. @Bleigh
If you need I can get my Rodi going and get you some water in an emergency. Let me know if you need anything.

Thank you for the offer! I got glacial water fro the grocery store. I need to go get more salt water tomorrow anyway. I figured I'd have test their RODI water before I get anymore.
Here is an inexpensive RODI that is easy to use at a good price. I know a number of people that use this unit and all have said they are very happy with it.

Aquatic Life RO Buddie Four Stage Reverse Osmosis System with Color Changing Mixed Bed Deionization Cartridge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00204CQF6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Dq2KCb9AB84BH

I think I'm just going to get one that will hang in my garage. I'm planning on upgrading to a larger tank soon anyway. I'm sure I'll appreciate just doing one appropriate for the upgrade. I honestly thought they'd be thousands of dollars. They are all far more reasonable than I anticipated.

Hopefully it was something harmless like sand. Super weird. And even more weird that I haven't seen the spots at all in 24 hours. Who knows. Still keeping a close eye on them just in case.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another spot appeared on the females tail for around 20 minutes today. It’s sooo weird.

e0c14616853de9e8edca2d868b35215c.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the offer! I got glacial water fro the grocery store. I need to go get more salt water tomorrow anyway. I figured I'd have test their RODI water before I get anymore

@Bleigh

Anything you need let me know. I have salt, water, Selcon, other stuff I could drop off.

I would say, if you have Selcon or Zoecom start adding to the food. It will help build up the immunity system of the fish

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bleigh

Anything you need let me know. I have salt, water, Selcon, other stuff I could drop off.

I would say, if you have Selcon or Zoecom start adding to the food. It will help build up the immunity system of the fish

Thank you! You’re super sweet. I went in and they said they had a back flow issue but fixed it right away. I actually remember them finding it while they were filling up
My rodi. I thought they were saying the tub was leaking. They tested it while I was there just to make sure it was 1.0000.

I found this thread. The boy has spots in his tail again this morning. I have to think it’s stings. They keep swimming into one of the frogspawn. I’m hoping they start hosting it. I think it would be really cute.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/320634-spots-on-clownfish-sick-or-stung/

RiverCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bleigh - I know its been a while but did you ever get this figured out? I am experiencing something similar with one of my clownfish. Translucent spots that come and go pretty quickly. I haven't really noticed any other symptoms or anything. Your pictures are the closest thing I have found to what this looks like online.

EDIT: Posted this before I saw your last post. Stings huh? I added a hammer frag about a week ago. Other than that I have a small candy cane, duncan, and some zoas. I wonder if its my hammer or something.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back