Copper Safe treatment

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bare bottom 6 gal qt 2 small sponge filters and a hang on the back filter the hang on the back has about 50 little balls of ehime substrate pro biological media in it. Eheim says it's non absorbant it also has prefilter filter floss. I have added a total of 8.5 ml of copper in 1ml incriments over several days. I am only at 1ppm reading of copper in water. I'm using salient copper profi test to test copper level. my lfs said this is what they use in there store. I was under the impression that I should of been at the 2.0 ppm mark for the therapeutic treatment purposes. But iam not please advise what I need to do please and thank you.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bare bottom 6 gal qt 2 small sponge filters and a hang on the back filter the hang on the back has about 50 little balls of ehime substrate pro biological media in it. Eheim says it's non absorbant it also has prefilter filter floss. I have added a total of 8.5 ml of copper in 1ml incriments over several days. I am only at 1ppm reading of copper in water. I'm using salient copper profi test to test copper level. my lfs said this is what they use in there store. I was under the impression that I should have been at the 2.0 ppm mark for the therapeutic treatment purposes. But iam not please advise what I need to do please and thank you.
The Salifert test only goes up to 2.0 mg/l and a full dose of coppersafe is 2.25, so there is an issue there. I’ve also heard reports of this test giving low readings on Cupramine. The Hanna high range meter is the best for coppersafe. I’ve used the API copper test and it is accurate, but the darn color change is do subtle that I had to use a spectrophotometer to read it.

If your tank holds 5 gallons net volume, a full dose would be anout 6.5 ml, right? You’re higher than that, so I think you need to distrust the test and back off the copper with a 30% water change until you can get a Hanna checker (unless there are no fish in the tank at the moment).

OP
OP
Richards Aquarium

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Salifert test only goes up to 2.0 mg/l and a full dose of coppersafe is 2.25, so there is an issue there. I’ve also heard reports of this test giving low readings on Cupramine. The Hanna high range meter is the best for coppersafe. I’ve used the API copper test and it is accurate, but the darn color change is do subtle that I had to use a spectrophotometer to read it.

If your tank holds 5 gallons net volume, a full dose would be anout 6.5 ml, right? You’re higher than that, so I think you need to distrust the test and back off the copper with a 30% water change until you can get a Hanna checker (unless there are no fish in the tank at the moment).
Thanks for the information being that I'm at 8.5 ml of coppersafe added this far and it's a 6 gal tank would you think iam at 2.5 and just leave it and keep an eye on my 2 clowns that are in there now. ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information being that I'm at 8.5 ml of coppersafe added this far and it's a 6 gal tank would you think iam at 2.5 and just leave it and keep an eye on my 2 clowns that are in there now. ?
If the tank holds 6 gallons NET you are probably ok. My fear is that if the tank is rated for 6 gallons, it might only hold 5 gallons of water. For example; a standard ten gallon tank holds about 8.2 gallons at operating capacity

OP
OP
Richards Aquarium

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank holds 6 gallons NET you are probably ok. My fear is that if the tank is rated for 6 gallons, it might only hold 5 gallons of water. For example; a standard ten gallon tank holds about 8.2 gallons at operating capacity
Thanks again, it is actually a clear plastic tote container it says it's 26 liters which breaks down to 6.8 gallons. I'm assuming that is to the very top of rim iam about 3 inches below the top of container so I'm probably close to 6 gallons. Any further thoughts. Just out of concern what is a dangerous level of copper for marine fish ?
Thank you Richard

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again, it is actually a clear plastic tote container it says it's 26 liters which breaks down to 6.8 gallons. I'm assuming that is to the very top of rim iam about 3 inches below the top of container so I'm probably close to 6 gallons. Any further thoughts. Just out of concern what is a dangerous level of copper for marine fish ?
Thank you Richard

Copper toxicity varies by fish species, the dose of copper, how long the fish have been exposed and also by the type of copper being used. With that many variables, it isn't possible to forecast what level might be toxic. In general, I would expect to start to see issues with coppersafe above around 2.75 ppm.

Because totes often have sloping sides, you can't use the length x width x height / 231 formula to get the volume. I don't know how accurate the manufacturer's volume measurement is. The very best way to get an accurate volume is to first fill the container with a known quantity of freshwater, to a line you draw on the side.

OP
OP
Richards Aquarium

Richards Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper toxicity varies by fish species, the dose of copper, how long the fish have been exposed and also by the type of copper being used. With that many variables, it isn't possible to forecast what level might be toxic. In general, I would expect to start to see issues with coppersafe above around 2.75 ppm.

Because totes often have sloping sides, you can't use the length x width x height / 231 formula to get the volume. I don't know how accurate the manufacturer's volume measurement is. The very best way to get an accurate volume is to first fill the container with a known quantity of freshwater, to a line you draw on the side.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW ARE YOUR CORALS DOING TODAY? HONEST ANSWERS ONLY!

• Everything seems to be doing great!

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • Almost everything is doing good!

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Some are doing good, others not so much...

Votes: 49 24.5%
  • They're okay, I guess.

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • They're not doing too well right now.

Votes: 15 7.5%
  • Not good at all...

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 7 3.5%
Back