Copperband butterfly

kyle9211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to my copperband butterfly looking messed up. He has some spots on his mouth and spot on the side of his face. He likes to swim in the rocks sideways every which way trying to stick his snout into the crevices. Is this damage from that? I sent the pics out and was told it looks like a bacterial infection and he will be okay if he is eating. Just looking for more feedback to make sure I do the right thing for him. Thank you ahead of time for any and all feedback.
1000006163.jpg
1000006164.jpg
1000006165.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I woke up this morning to my copperband butterfly looking messed up. He has some spots on his mouth and spot on the side of his face. He likes to swim in the rocks sideways every which way trying to stick his snout into the crevices. Is this damage from that? I sent the pics out and was told it looks like a bacterial infection and he will be okay if he is eating. Just looking for more feedback to make sure I do the right thing for him. Thank you ahead of time for any and all feedback.
1000006163.jpg
1000006164.jpg
1000006165.jpg
Light very dim but appears as injury damage and treatable in separate tank with broad spectrum antibiotic such as seachem kanaplex
Before moving forward- please provide brighter pictures
How do other occupants look?

OP
OP
kyle9211

kyle9211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light very dim but appears as injury damage and treatable in separate tank with broad spectrum antibiotic such as seachem kanaplex
Before moving forward- please provide brighter pictures
How do other occupants look?
Everyone else has been looking good. He's hard to get pics of. I will continue to try to get better pics.

OP
OP
kyle9211

kyle9211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish looks starved in the first picture.

The fish looks starved in the first picture.
He has been hard to get to eat. He is eating but I wish he would eat better. He eats a little when I put food near him then he swims away. I feed frozen mysis and blood worms, seaweed on a clip, and seaweed in a pouch type style clip on the side of the tank. I have one of the small cylindrical containers coming in tomorrow that has the holes for him to try to eat out of hoping that might get him to eat more.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This looks like a significant (you already know that) - but - I am not sure it's because your fish was going to rock areas. (They are expert at doing that - unless just put into the tank) - In any case, Agree with antibiotics in a hospital tank - as well as excellent feeding.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been hard to get to eat. He is eating but I wish he would eat better. He eats a little when I put food near him then he swims away. I feed frozen mysis and blood worms, seaweed on a clip, and seaweed in a pouch type style clip on the side of the tank. I have one of the small cylindrical containers coming in tomorrow that has the holes for him to try to eat out of hoping that might get him to eat more.
Live clams or mussels or oysters from the supermarket, cracked open should get a feeding response.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I’ve never seen such a beat up CBB. The rocks in photo #1 don’t appear to be Primo Cherry Live Rock from Florida. I’m just curious if he’s hurt myself going after what little fauna or pods that may exist in the sterile rock work in your tank. Which if he’s starving could be a strange possibility. I believe someone else asked about what other livestock do you have in the tank. Good to know if there’s an aggressor?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
1000006163.jpg
1000006164.jpg
1000006165.jpg
I am able to see pics on a larger screen and appears to be injury opposed to aggression not to rule out aggression from other tank mates.
For sure treat in a separate tank (to avoid infection) using seachem kanaplex in a separate tank with added aeration.

OP
OP
kyle9211

kyle9211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I’ve never seen such a beat up CBB. The rocks in photo #1 don’t appear to be Primo Cherry Live Rock from Florida. I’m just curious if he’s hurt myself going after what little fauna or pods that may exist in the sterile rock work in your tank. Which if he’s starving could be a strange possibility. I believe someone else asked about what other livestock do you have in the tank. Good to know if there’s an aggressor?
I have a foxface, blue tang, coral beauty, yellow tail chromis (6), long nose hawkfish, royal gramma, bar code gobi (2), purple firefish, a couple of cleaner shrimp and then snails and 5 small red leg hermit crabs.

OP
OP
kyle9211

kyle9211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He also goes crazy around the rock work. He barely leaves the cover of the rocks and I've seen him coast around them on his side sticking his nose in a hole a few times and even upside down once.

OP
OP
kyle9211

kyle9211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am able to see pics on a larger screen and appears to be injury opposed to aggression not to rule out aggression from other tank mates.
For sure treat in a separate tank (to avoid infection) using seachem kanaplex in a separate tank with added aeration.
I got him into a small tank with new water that I started for my next water change, removed filter media, and I have seachem Paraguard to treat him with. Nobody has kanaplex near me.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
He also goes crazy around the rock work. He barely leaves the cover of the rocks and I've seen him coast around them on his side sticking his nose in a hole a few times and even upside down once.
Rock is one suspect cause and if any fish, if powder blue tang,,,, good chance

OP
OP
kyle9211

kyle9211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock is one suspect cause and if any fish, if powder blue tang,,,, good chance
It's a blue hippo tang. He's pretty small. Barely bigger than a half dollar piece. How much extra aeration should I add to the qt tank? Just an air pump and hose? Or should I get one of the bars to make a bubble curtain?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a foxface, blue tang, coral beauty, yellow tail chromis (6), long nose hawkfish, royal gramma, bar code gobi (2), purple firefish, a couple of cleaner shrimp and then snails and 5 small red leg hermit crabs.
Can’t imagine any of those fish doing that much damage. I feed my CBB twice a day. How often do you feed yours?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I got him into a small tank with new water that I started for my next water change, removed filter media, and I have seachem Paraguard to treat him with. Nobody has kanaplex near me.
hate to use term, but paraguard is Useless and not what the bottle claims to do in whole.
Alternatives are Ruby Rally pro - seachem neoplex and sulfa plex

OP
OP
kyle9211

kyle9211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t imagine any of those fish doing that much damage. I feed my CBB twice a day. How often do you feed yours?
I feed them twice a day. I put seaweed on the clip and feed a pellet food in the morning and then seaweed on the clip and frozen foods in the evening. About 10-11 hours apart.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
It's a blue hippo tang. He's pretty small. Barely bigger than a half dollar piece. How much extra aeration should I add to the qt tank? Just an air pump and hose? Or should I get one of the bars to make a bubble curtain?
Air pump/air stone combination. If overspray, cover top with saran wrap

OP
OP
kyle9211

kyle9211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hate to use term, but paraguard is Useless and not what the bottle claims to do in whole.
Alternatives are Ruby Rally pro - seachem neoplex and sulfa plex
Thank you. I'll look into expanding my medicine cabinet with those and klanapex. I appreciate all the info and help.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I feed them twice a day. I put seaweed on the clip and feed a pellet food in the morning and then seaweed on the clip and frozen foods in the evening. About 10-11 hours apart.
This fish is not big on seaweed algae but rather. . . . . Mysis shrimp, plankton, LTS Herbivore diet, chopped krill and clam on a half shell (hikari)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back