Coral suggestion

propane4heatHRH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 15 gallon fluvial flex that I’ve been running for 2 years, I am looking for corals that are very easy to keep that do not require much light. Ideally want one coral that will spread like crazy.

Stock
2 blue leg hermits
1 lantern basslet
1 stripped blenny

IMG_4335.jpeg

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, there are many softies that fit that bill. Do you like movement? If so, pulsing Xenia is very hardy and spreads quickly. Do you prefer bright green? GSP is the what I go then. Palys will easily take over the tank if you let them but sounds like you’re not necessarily interested in zoas/palys. A toadstool les to we might be a great addition. Will not necessarily take over but will grow quickly and become a centerpiece in that size tank. Many options. Why don’t you tell us what kind of look you’re into? Might help with being able to provide appropriate recommendations.

OP
OP
P

propane4heatHRH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply! I do like zoas but have my doubts since the ones I had last year seemingly melted away. :( I’m looking for a soft coral that I wouldn’t have to additionally feed since I have such a small tank. Also I don’t want to run my lights all day because when I do the GHA seems to ramp up. My tank has been looking pretty clean for a year tho

OP
OP
P

propane4heatHRH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply! I do like zoas but have my doubts since the ones I had last year seemingly melted away. :( I’m looking for a soft coral that I wouldn’t have to additionally feed since I have such a small tank. Also I don’t want to run my lights all day because when I do the GHA seems to ramp up. My tank has been looking pretty clean for a year tho
I’m looking into Xenia specifically and maybe even GSP. Idk if it would be easier to pick one or have a mixed reef

OP
OP
P

propane4heatHRH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s recent pics and gear

Attachments

• IMG_4736.jpeg
    IMG_4736.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4735.jpeg
    IMG_4735.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4732.jpeg
    IMG_4732.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4733.jpeg
    IMG_4733.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 6

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think if those are the requirements then Xenia, GSP, or daisy close polyps would be what I would consider. They all grow quickly and provide great coverage. That said, they will definitely still the lights on for a good amount of time since they get most of their energy from their zooanthellae.

I think it would be pretty to have a mix of all three. That way you get different colors and textures in the tank.

OP
OP
P

propane4heatHRH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if those are the requirements then Xenia, GSP, or daisy close polyps would be what I would consider. They all grow quickly and provide great coverage. That said, they will definitely still the lights on for a good amount of time since they get most of their energy from their zooanthellae.

I think it would be pretty to have a mix of all three. That way you get different colors and textures in the tank.
Excellent! Do you have recommendations for how long I should leave the lights on for per day? I’m a beginner at corals xD

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Excellent! Do you have recommendations for how long I should leave the lights on for per day? I’m a beginner at corals xD
8-12 hrs is recommended with a 1 hr ramp up and down included in that time. I highly recommend the controller for the Nicrew, you can set the timers on it allowing you lots of flexibility. With the light you have, I would recommend 60-70% blue and 5% white light for a nice blend.

OP
OP
P

propane4heatHRH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8-12 hrs is recommended with a 1 hr ramp up and down included in that time. I highly recommend the controller for the Nicrew, you can set the timers on it allowing you lots of flexibility. With the light you have, I would recommend 60-70% blue and 5% white light for a nice blend.
Thank you this is very helpful! My last question is, I have my light clamped to the back of my tank. Some of it touches the water when full all the way. Do you think this would run the risk of mental leeching into my tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi all. I have a 15 gallon fluvial flex that I’ve been running for 2 years, I am looking for corals that are very easy to keep that do not require much light. Ideally want one coral that will spread like crazy.

Stock
2 blue leg hermits
1 lantern basslet
1 stripped blenny

IMG_4335.jpeg
Some hardy and low light corals are:
Mushrooms
leathers
Candy canes
Yes - zoas
Xenia
Green star polyps
Kenyii Tree (caution - will drop shoots and keep spreading)

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I am leaving heavy twords GSP and pulsing Xenia to start
Toadstool leathers are really nice. I’ve got one with shorter polyps at the moment but in the past I had one with semi long ones. This the one I had until late last year
1726966247584.jpeg

This the one have right now
1726966376015.jpeg

Back