Corals arrived after 4 days shipping - what to do with them?

AquaSD

We specialize and Rare and Unusual Corals!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the plane not taking off on time make the box wet?
We're you the one that contracted the carrier to perform a service?

Yes, you're right, the plane not taking off on time didn't make the box wet. Probably UPS putting heavy items on top of it/crushing it that caused that to happen.

Yes, you're also right, we did pay UPS to perform a service, and they failed to perform the service.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my UPS shipments have been late, regardless of seller. It’s to the point where I think sellers need to up their game with packaging.

More water and more robust containers need to be used. I like those 3D printed frag holders that fit in the plastic jars. They keep the coral from banging around which probably helps when a coral is dealing with warming conditions.

Also, more water takes longer to heat up. Life and death could come down to a few hours and this makes all the difference.

So what if it cost a seller another $10-20$? They just got hundreds from the buyer.

Edit: Also some sort of insurance is probably in order. If I were a seller, I’d offer some insurance and self insure. If shipping issues got so out of hand that I couldn’t keep up with claims, I’d get out of the business. Seems nonsense to make the buyer eat the loss.

-Matt

Last edited:

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just this past week there were issues with the planes that caused a lot of delays. Normally UPS is pretty spot on. We've tried Fedex in the past for a few years, but doing the numbers, they seem to have more delays (during that time period) than UPS. That's why we went with UPS. This is not normal for UPS though.

I’ve had nothing but good luck for the most part with my shipments from you. My shipment last week looked perfect except for my clam. The byssal threads got very damaged and fell off in shipment. But I’ve basically just eaten that one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FedEx is awful. I’ve had nothing but horrible shipments with them. UPS usually has no issues for me.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had nothing but good luck for the most part with my shipments from you. My shipment last week looked perfect except for my clam. The byssal threads got very damaged and fell off in shipment. But I’ve basically just eaten that one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FedEx is awful. I’ve had nothing but horrible shipments with them. UPS usually has no issues for me.
Yes in @AquaSD 's defense, I've ordered from them probably 6 or so times and this is my first negative experience.

Also UPS is usually fantastic for me and it's FedEx that sucks. Can't win em all

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spoke with @AquaSD and was given some options.

Before I go into it, I want to point out that at the beginning of the call, AquaSD was under the impression my entire order had died. I corrected them to say that 3 corals still survived. The point I'm trying to establish is that I'm not trying to screw anyone over or pull the wool over their eyes. I'm trying to be honest and fair.

Option 1)
AquaSD will send the replacement for the dead corals on a future order. This option requires I place a future order and the shipping charge that goes with it.

Option 2)
AquaSD will give me store credit for $100. Also requires I place a future order and the shipping charge that goes with it.

No option gets me USD in any form. I'm not thrilled with either option. What do y'all think?

Also I've apparently been given a middle man to deal with. Perfectly nice guy but I feel bad for him because he has to go back and forth between his boss and I constantly delivering bad news.

Last edited:

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spoke with @AquaSD and was given some options.

Before I go into it, I want to point out that at the beginning of the call, AquaSD was under the impression my entire order had died. I corrected them to say that 3 corals still survived. The point I'm trying to establish is that I'm not trying to screw anyone over or pull the wool over their eyes. I'm trying to be honest and fair.

Option 1)
AquaSD will send the replacement for the dead corals on a future order. This option requires I place a future order and the shipping charge that goes with it.

Option 2)
AquaSD will give me store credit for $100 (lol wut?). Also requires I place a future order and the shipping charge that goes with it.

No option gets me USD in any form. I'm not thrilled with either option. What do y'all think?

I think option 1 seems like a fair compromise/meet in the middle.

-Matt

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would UPS delay a shipment (to investigate or something?) if the bags leaked and the box is all wet?
No. They would put the original packaging in a large plastic bag then put that in a new box.

Take pictures of the box, the shipping label, all of the contents. Do not toss anything. Bag it up, and stick it on your porch because UPS will want the option to “inspect the contents “. You bough $100 in shipping liability when you purchased shipping. Be sure to file a claim with UPS and get your $100 too.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the idea of forcing me to place another order to recoup my losses, but you may be right and there might not be a better compromise.
They will have their usual whopping sale soon. ;). And TBH it’s good of them to replace the dead stuff. Their shipping policy clearly absolves them from having to do anything and yet, they always do.

I just went through this with a different shipping delay. UPS is failing HARD right now. From what Kaleb read to me, it looks like my order was delayed twice during the same shipping process. The order that shipped the day before mine got delayed, and at least one more since mine.

Issue now is temps. When to ship that they won’t cook in the truck.

OP
OP
Gribbles

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will have their usual whopping sale soon. ;). And TBH it’s good of them to replace the dead stuff. Their shipping policy clearly absolves them from having to do anything and yet, they always do.

I just went through this with a different shipping delay. UPS is failing HARD right now. From what Kaleb read to me, it looks like my order was delayed twice during the same shipping process. The order that shipped the day before mine got delayed, and at least one more since mine.

Issue now is temps. When to ship that they won’t cook in the truck.
Their shipping policy does not absolve them from having to do anything. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. The point they make :
  • Aqua SD cannot be held responsible for mechanical or weather delays by shipping company

This was not a weather nor mechanical delay, I believe. When I've had those happen in the past, UPS explicitly states such on their tracking. I could most certainly be wrong though.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their shipping policy does not absolve them from having to do anything. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. The point they make :
  • Aqua SD cannot be held responsible for mechanical or weather delays by shipping company

This was not a weather nor mechanical delay, I believe. When I've had those happen in the past, UPS explicitly states such on their tracking. I could most certainly be wrong though.
I’ve never had UPS give me a reason. However, UPS does owe you your shipping cost back as well as that $100. That will cover your first shipping payment and the monetary payment will cover your next shipping charge.

Why were you delayed so long? 4 days is a lot.

They kind of have the replacement thing and no shipping refund locked down tho.

• We guarantee live arrival. In the unlikely event of a DOA (Dead on Arrival), we will need a clear digital picture within 2 hours of delivery. E-mail the picture/s to [email protected].
  • We do not give refunds. We send replacements and/or give store credit on future orders. We do not cover the shipping costs on replacements.

Last edited:

shoedy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sympathies with you guys, I order from a store with same day shipping and I'm already nervous getting the coral in. Nothing in the same state for you?

Btw can all corals handle overnight or two day shipping?

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sympathies with you guys, I order from a store with same day shipping and I'm already nervous getting the coral in. Nothing in the same state for you?

Btw can all corals handle overnight or two day shipping?
Depends on the coral really. My delay was 24 hours. I lost chalices, candy canes, a mushroom. And all my freebies. lol. My goni’s lived though. :D

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna go on AquaSD's side and not say its there fault for the delay.
They could not do anything about it.

However i think its there job to make things right, and i think it will be very expensive, but if they make it right, they will only solidify there reputation as a vendor.

I have bought few things from AquaSD and love every one of them, they have great and expensive stuff.
So please make things right.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would UPS delay a shipment (to investigate or something?) if the bags leaked and the box is all wet?
No they will just tell you that its a “risk” for shipping. I had UPS kill 3 orders in a row (delays, broken water bags, bad handling) that cost me a ton of money in fish and I opened an investigation with them and they never looked at it. Closed it without even contacting me and when I called customer service they went round and round saying “they are live animals its not their responsibility of their health” WHEN THEY MESSED UP. I hate UPS with a passion for this reason. No accountability and they dont even care you pay for overnight shipping and just say it gets there when it gets there. HORRIBLE shipping company!

danreef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When livestock is delayed for long periods the chemistry in the bags is impacted. Do NOT give up hope even in a murky bag. It is best to get the coral out of the bag water as soon as possible. If there is tissue off the corals you have a problem and I would place a DOA claim.
This is what you can do with extreme caution
If you have a CO2 tank... Check the PH in the bags and fill a container with tank water then drop the PH to the level in the bag. Make sure you have reached a stable PH matching the bag water by adjusting the CO2 rate. Place the corals into the container then back off on the CO2 a little at a time and bring it to your tank's ph. In wholesale operations we would drop the levels in entire isolated systems. Acclamation of fish is done using the CO2 or chemically reducing PH.

Be careful and good luck

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just this past week there were issues with the planes that caused a lot of delays. Normally UPS is pretty spot on. We've tried Fedex in the past for a few years, but doing the numbers, they seem to have more delays (during that time period) than UPS. That's why we went with UPS. This is not normal for UPS though.
This is not true. Ive never had an issue with fedex and the companies that use them have never had an issue. UPS on the other hand always has an issue with something. And just so you know when customers talk to UPS they blame the seller and tell customers its all up to the seller (as far as being held at a location, delays, ect). I wish companies would use feedback from people and quit defending UPS when there is one issue after another.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 56 25.5%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 96 43.6%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 55 25.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.9%
Back