Corals not growing and I don’t know why?!?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone-

After doing some research over the past couple days I think I’ve boiled my problem down to stability. That, and a lack of testing. Obviously, I’ll raise my nitrates and phos as well as try the other suggestions, but I don’t really think I’ve been putting the time into this tank that I should have. I’m gonna lock in and fix it though! I already downloaded a testing journal onto my phone where I can make sure my params don’t swing. I really do want this tank to look good and I know if I just put more time in, it will.

Everyone has been super helpful and I’ll still take any pieces of advice/information that you can give me regarding my situation!!
To reiterate— it’s time. Corals need time to adapt to your tank (survival instinct) first then focus on growth. For example, I have some SPS frags that took literally 3 years to grow while others grew like weeds. I understand that it can take forever but try taking pictures and compare month over month, you’ll see the difference. However, they don’t “grow” fast if you look at them multiple times a day! lol

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using RODI water, but I’ve had some people tell me to use a hydrometer. Would this be a good option?
Hydrometers will give you a extremely accurate reading maybe... twice. They are a very cheap option that some people use for FOWLR tanks but not suitable for reefs IMO. If you already have a refractometer, there's no reason to get a hydrometer. Like others have said Fritz calibration fluid is a great option for calibration.

WHAT'S THE BIGGEST FISH IN YOUR TANK? SHOW IT OFF, NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL!

• >1 inch.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • 1 - 3 inches.

Votes: 45 39.8%
  • 4 - 6 inches.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • 7 - 9 inches.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • 10 - 12 inches.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • 13+ inches.

Votes: 7 6.2%