Corals not thriving

bubblefish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my tank is a 55 gallon and 8 weeks old now.

Substrate used from 1 year old tank and added live sand on top when started 8 weeks ago. Live rock and dried coral.
At 3 weeks ammonia was zero nitrite was zero and started making nitrate so I put live stock one at a time slowly (4 fish, 1 fire shrimp, 3 snails, 2 hermit crabs).

At 6 weeks bought some corals frogspawn and hammerhead, and Zoa they are small.

Last week, Week 7 brown algae started appearing a lot! I have done 2 10% WC and then a 50% WC to fix calcium and nitrate levels

My fish are happy and eating but my corals are not thriving and now water is clouding up. Frogspawn and hammer come out some when lights come on in morning and then retract during the day. Zoa will not open back up since WCs.

Levels are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-40ppm
Phosphate .25
Calcium 460
KH 11dKH

Any advice?? Thanks

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters look fine. Alk and calcium are a bit higher than I would recommend in a new tank, but that’s not going to bother your corals. You may have some issues with abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate though, which I suspect is where the cloudy water is coming from. Shoot for the 8-9 dKH range for alkalinity and 400-430 ppm calcium in a young tank. No need to adjust now, just let it fall naturally and then strive for stability at that lower target.

In general it is a bit soon to be adding corals. Your biome is very young and immature, so there is not a whole lot of nutrition for corals. That said, I understand its hard to resist and I rushed into it myself when I started many years ago.

What is your lighting and flow situation?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
What is age of tank and how are you testing your parameters?

OP
OP
B

bubblefish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters look fine. Alk and calcium are a bit higher than I would recommend in a new tank, but that’s not going to bother your corals. You may have some issues with abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate though, which I suspect is where the cloudy water is coming from. Shoot for the 8-9 dKH range for alkalinity and 400-430 ppm calcium in a young tank. No need to adjust now, just let it fall naturally and then strive for stability at that lower target.

In general it is a bit soon to be adding corals. Your biome is very young and immature, so there is not a whole lot of nutrition for corals. That said, I understand its hard to resist and I rushed into it myself when I started many years ago.

What is your lighting and flow situation?
Two wave makers 480GPH upper left and one lower right. This is my light details.

Attachments

• IMG_1991.png
    IMG_1991.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 31

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of light is it, is it the nicrew 20 watt? That is no where near strong enough for your size tank.

What is the nitrate and phosphate level? Zoa's like nutrients in the water and your tank looks very clean at this stage

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 snails is not enough on a 55 gal tank. Keep adding more clean up crew.

Running lower nutrients while your tank is still so young should help minimize algae problems. I would not let them get any higher.

I can’t say for sure on the cloudy tank. It could be a bacteria bloom. I mostly ever see that after over feeding.

OP
OP
B

bubblefish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of light is it, is it the nicrew 20 watt? That is no where near strong enough for your size tank.

What is the nitrate and phosphate level? Zoa's like nutrients in the water and your tank looks very clean at this stage
My nitrates are high and phosphate is .25. Diatoms are going crazy over my rocks. I added 16 oz bottle of copepods two days ago hoping they will help. Can’t seem to get nitrates down at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 8

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two wave makers 480GPH upper left and one lower right. This is my light details.
Your corals are starved for light. End of story, problem solved LOL. You need to double your PAR for most corals and even more than that if you ever intend to keep SPS.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say for sure on the cloudy tank.
Cloudiness is likely precipitation of calcium carbonate because the Alk and Calcium are way too high for a new tank. I almost guarantee it…. Separate issue though and I don’t think related to the coral health.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back