Cycling with dry rock and ammonia dosing

Krad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi R2R,

So this is my first time cycling a tank in 12 years and first time using dry rock and ammonia dosing.

Little history, I bought probably 70lbs of rock back in 2023 and started cycling it in a brute. No lights and tried to maintain ammonia by ghost feeding after the cycle completed and doing WC to keep parameters in check.

Last week I got my tank in and added the rest of the rock work (100ish lbs DRY rock) and when the water was made transferred over the brute rocks.

I dosed 7 tsp of Dr Tim’s ammonium chloride Monday night and got 3 ppm read out.

Today it was down to .25 ppm.

My question is my nirites are staying at 0 and I have nitrate and phosphate being detected by Hannas right now, do I keep dosing ammonia until it reaches 0 pmm in 24 hours or is the tank cycled and I’m just adding ammonia for no reason?

Current parameters:

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 0.3
P04: .12

TYIA!!

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R,

So this is my first time cycling a tank in 12 years and first time using dry rock and ammonia dosing.

Little history, I bought probably 70lbs of rock back in 2023 and started cycling it in a brute. No lights and tried to maintain ammonia by ghost feeding after the cycle completed.

Last week I got my tank in and added the rest of the rock work (100ish lbsDRY rock) and when the water was made transfered over the brute rocks.

I dosed 7 tsp of Dr Tim’s ammonium chloride Monday night and got 3 ppm read out.

Today it was down to .25 ppm.

My question is my nirites are staying at 0 and I have nitrate and phosphate being detected by Hanna’s right now, do I keep dosing ammonia until it reaches 0 pmm in 24 hours or is the tank cycled and I’m just adding ammonia for no reason?

Current parameters:

TYIA!!
You are adding ammonia for no reason. Rock is nitrified

I would say do a large water change and start with some small fish

OP
OP
K

Krad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! Been out of the game and just wanted to get some confirmation. Probaby will just wait out the ammonia to hit 0, should be tonight or tomorrow morning and then get a small CUC locally.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back