Deployment secret fish build thread

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
I am currently overseas on deployment and I acquired a betta fish. I'm making this thread to see how far I can get in building a cool tank with very limited supplies. After being unsuccessful trying to convince the locals on base to bring me a fish, a friend of mine stumbled upon someone trying to sell one that the bought off base. So far I have just cleaned the tank out and replaced most of the water with new distilled water (a little inconsistent to find) and have taken out the plastic duck decorations. I'm going to wash some coarse sand from outside and start slowly replacing the rainbow rocks with the sand. We can order some stuff on Amazon so after a few tries, found a light that will ship to my location as well as a plant. I'm debating trying to also get a better tank. Anyways, say hello to Augie

20241024_214251.jpg

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I was given when I got him is just the tank, net and food. I'm getting a plant to put in there this weekend. Part of the challenge is that I have limited access to power and the power I do have runs off of a single 220v outlet

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, a plant will be great to clean up the water. Would recommend a small HOB filter and heater when you can. Otherwise you have a pretty simple system on your hands! Wishing the best

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can figure out how to get some shrimp I will. I spent some time trying to convince the local contractors to smuggle a fish on base for me and only got as far as getting a phone number. I don't think a hob filter is in the books. At home, none of my freshwater tanks have filters but they are also HEAVILY planted and this one.... not so much (yet!). I think I'm going to prioritize a heater since it's pretty cold in the barracks all the time.

OP
OP
McCarrick

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, a plant will be great to clean up the water. Would recommend a small HOB filter and heater when you can. Otherwise you have a pretty simple system on your hands! Wishing the best
I feel pretty confident in this so far even with such a bare bones system. I've been keeping fish for close to 20 years so I knew I needed to acquire one to make it through this deployment. Also I just wanted to know if I could pull off getting a fish, and prevent my command team from finding out!

vandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel pretty confident in this so far even with such a bare bones system. I've been keeping fish for close to 20 years so I knew I needed to acquire one to make it through this deployment. Also I just wanted to know if I could pull off getting a fish, and prevent my command team from finding out!
Do you not have a shipping address? I was able to get most things from Amazon within 10-14 days. Only place it took longer was in Iraq

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 50 40.0%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • No.

Votes: 54 43.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back