Dimensions for 240ish upgrade

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently looking into upgrading from my 75g to something around 240g. The two options that I'm most interested in are either the IM INT 240 or going through Glass Cages for one of their "bundles". The IM tank is about 83"x30"x22" and the Glass Cages tank I'm looking at is 96"x24"x25". I'm somewhat inclined to go with the GC tank, as I think the extra length would fill the wall and allow more space in front of the tank. If I'm planning on doing some large tangs and maybe angels, would the length or width be more beneficial? My current tank is 20" wide and it seems like 24" would be plenty (and easier to reach the back).

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer the tank, the more equipment you'll need. for instance on the 96" tank you'll need a extra radion for full coverage, Also 30" deep is much better than 24"

OP
OP
DylanE

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer the tank, the more equipment you'll need. for instance on the 96" tank you'll need a extra radion for full coverage, Also 30" deep is much better than 24"

I don’t mind picking up an extra radion, if that’s the biggest downside. What in your experience made 30” wide much better? Thanks for the reply!

OutColdCRNA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a GC 240 used. I am so pleased I went with the 96” over the IM 200 I was looking at originally. The build quality is outstanding and just the size of an 8’ tank is like none other! Have not moved all the lights and equipment over yet
IMG_1668.jpeg

OP
OP
DylanE

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a GC 240 used. I am so pleased I went with the 96” over the IM 200 I was looking at originally. The build quality is outstanding and just the size of an 8’ tank is like none other! Have not moved all the lights and equipment over yet
IMG_1668.jpeg
wow, that's a stunning tank. I was thinking of going without a canopy, but maybe I'll get one after all.

OutColdCRNA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, that's a stunning tank. I was thinking of going without a canopy, but maybe I'll get one after all.
Canopy was a prerequisite from my wife. Had a local cabinet maker build it to specs. They did an awesome job. The two front panels are completely removable to make access easier. That stand and new doors still have to be painted to match.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going Glass Cages myself with my next build. What I like about them is 1.) Quality and 2.) I can have an odd set of dimensions. Currently I'm at 48x39x25.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 24 24.2%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 37 37.4%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 26 26.3%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back