Dinos with high nutrients?? Please help!

OP
OP
J

jack3103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_3525.png
    IMG_3525.png
    353.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
J

jack3103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV will only kill Ostreopsis/coolia. You have to take a water sample from the sandbed and look under a microscope to know what Dino you have. Once you know the Dino you have, you can plan to defeat it. Black outs do nothing to get rid of them.

Have a read below.
Got a sample! Tried to get the best video I could! What ID would this be? Let me know if you need another photo/video

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see it on my iPad. Hopefully others can see it.

OP
OP
J

jack3103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see it on my iPad. Hopefully others can see it.

Yeah I think it might be small cell ampidiniums

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, SCA. The good news is you won’t need to buy a UV sterilizer and they’re not toxic. The bad news is that they take a while to eradicate. Buy some water glass and dose as per the “dealing with Dino’s” document I attached. Expect it to take a couple months. Nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank.

OP
OP
J

jack3103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, SCA. The good news is you won’t need to buy a UV sterilizer and they’re not toxic. The bad news is that they take a while to eradicate. Buy some water glass and dose as per the “dealing with Dino’s” document I attached. Expect it to take a couple months. Nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank.
Yeah I’ve read exactly this, don’t mind waiting as long as I know there’s end to it all lol. My snails are still a bit worse for wear, would they still be toxic enough to effect the snails?

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a great question and it’s quite likely, but something I’ve never been able to nail down 100%. I lost snails during my Dino fight, but only a couple, so not really sure if it was directly related to Dino’s. Lost a turbo, trochus, astrea, but just one or two from each group of a dozen, so hard to say for sure, but it’s a good bet. Nassarious, cerith and bubblebee were all unaffected.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't get waterglass you can buy sodium silicate. I used it successfully to beat prorocentrum. Really hard to mix in water and make sure to not overdose. I caused a bacterial bloom(brown water, diatoms) that was actually killing more than the dinos.

OP
OP
J

jack3103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a great question and it’s quite likely, but something I’ve never been able to nail down 100%. I lost snails during my Dino fight, but only a couple, so not really sure if it was directly related to Dino’s. Lost a turbo, trochus, astrea, but just one or two from each group of a dozen, so hard to say for sure, but it’s a good bet. Nassarious, cerith and bubblebee were all unaffected.
Ahhh okay, yeah sounds likely then! God what a nightmare, just when I thought I got rid of cyano now the real fight starts lol

OP
OP
J

jack3103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't get waterglass you can buy sodium silicate. I used it successfully to beat prorocentrum. Really hard to mix in water and make sure to not overdose. I caused a bacterial bloom(brown water, diatoms) that was actually killing more than the dino
Ah thank you, will definitely be doing my research and I’ll make sure I don’t end up making it worse!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, small cell Amphidinium.
They can be toxic enough to harm snails, so if your snails act lethargic or are dying then take that as evidence of toxicity.

OP
OP
J

jack3103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, small cell Amphidinium.
They can be toxic enough to harm snails, so if your snails act lethargic or are dying then take that as evidence of toxicity.
Ahhh that makes sense then, thank you! Is dosing silicates the best way to start treatment? And increasing biodiversity?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back