Do you recommend blue green chromis?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a time last year when I bought about 8 blue green chromis and they all one by one started dying in the span of a few weeks.

I haven’t tried them since, but I like the idea of having fish that school around and help fill out the tank. My tank size is 300 gallon, with only 11 fish currently.

How many chromis do you think I should buy? Do they do better kept single? Are they known for dying easily?

Michael Gilbreath

we all have are ways
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three left out of 5 I bought a couple months ago lost one to Clarkii clown one just disappeared now have 2 in tank and one in overflow box got him out he went back in so have left him lol pain trying to get him out. they do better in groups but they will decide the size of group it seems.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice would be to skip the chromis and get a big group of thread fin cardinals instead. They are poor shippers but once you get a healthy group they don’t kill each other like chromis

Wagonpitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my chromis for almost 2 years started with 9 i have 7 left. Most people say they kill each other within a few months to a year but ive been lucky so far. In a 300 you can get a big enough group to spread aggression i think. I have them in a 90.

Theres other schooling fish to consider as well. Good luck

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the threadfin cardinals. I’ve actually never heard of them before.

It seems like I may have to skip the chromis
@Wagonpitt what are some other schooling fish you recommend?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the threadfin cardinals. I’ve actually never heard of them before.

It seems like I may have to skip the chromis
@Wagonpitt what are some other schooling fish you recommend?
They look nicer in person than in online pics too. Not a flashy fish but they do look nice in a big group. Probably a good idea to buy more than you want though because you will almost always lose some during the shipping/acclimation process.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I recommend blue green chromis? No, for a couple reasons. They come in small and skinny. They pick each other off. And they are infamous for carrying Uronema.

In a 300, you might think about a large group of Chrysiptera genus damsels, like saphires or yellow tails.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I recommend blue green chromis? No, for a couple reasons. They come in small and skinny. They pick each other off. And they are infamous for carrying Uronema.

In a 300, you might think about a large group of Chrysiptera genus damsels, like saphires or yellow tails.

I love both of those damsels and have a bunch in my 210g but I wouldn’t really consider them a shoaling fish. They pretty much spread out throughout the tank.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels huh? I like them, but I’ve only had a domino 2 years ago and he was a demon. Killing fish and biting my hand always. Are sapphires and yellow tails nicer? Do I add them last?

I don’t really need “schooling fish” per say, just small bright active fish to make the tank look alive. Right now it’s bare with the 11 fish I have in the 300.

I’ve always wanted the damsels, just afraid they’d end up like that domino, I could never catch him, I had to wait for him to die.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a time last year when I bought about 8 blue green chromis and they all one by one started dying in the span of a few weeks.

I haven’t tried them since, but I like the idea of having fish that school around and help fill out the tank. My tank size is 300 gallon, with only 11 fish currently.

How many chromis do you think I should buy? Do they do better kept single? Are they known for dying easily?

Nope. None. Many ship with Uronema disease these days and many folks start out with groups of them only to end up with one.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels huh? I like them, but I’ve only had a domino 2 years ago and he was a demon. Killing fish and biting my hand always. Are sapphires and yellow tails nicer? Do I add them last?

I don’t really need “schooling fish” per say, just small bright active fish to make the tank look alive. Right now it’s bare with the 11 fish I have in the 300.

I’ve always wanted the damsels, just afraid they’d end up like that domino, I could never catch him, I had to wait for him to die.

Damsels come in many varieties. Domino, 3 stripe, 4 stripe (Dascyllus genus) are the most aggressive. Clowns can be really feisty too, especially the large maroons and clarkiis.
Chrysiptera genus, like saphire, azure, talbot, yellow tail and others are the easiest going.

Anthias are another option. They just come with some challenges.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a dozen azure damsels, a handful of springeri, a pair of Talbots, and a pair of Rolland’s in my 210g. They are not aggressive aside from slight aggression towards each other. Pretty much any of the chrysiptera would do well in your tank. Only real exceptions in my experience is the Blue devil (C. Taupau and C. Cyanea).

I have had the best luck either adding them as pairs or as very large groups. If you add only three the third one seems to get bullied once the other two pair up. May not be an issue in a 300g though.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to add Damsels to my school.

@nereefpat

What are some challenges? I was interested in Anthias too.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some challenges? I was interested in Anthias too.

I am far from an anthias expert... In my limited knowledge and experience, the challenges are picking the right species, shipping, getting them to eat, multiple feedings a day, and maybe some other things I'm missing.

Some are difficult to keep, and some aren't too bad. The easiest/hardiest would be lyretail and Bartlett, but they're also the most aggressive. If multiples turn male, they can beat on each other. More peaceful species aren't as hardy. You have a big tank, so that should help.

There are folks with much more anthias knowledge here, so I'll defer to them.

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love them, but never have them shipped. They DO NOT do well. I've had 1 order from Live Aquaria with a couple dead and another order where they all had Uronema. Go to your LFS and watch all the Chromis in the tank. If you see ANY purplish vertical spots on even one pass it up. Get them from a healthy system and they'll do ok. You'll lose some here and there like everyone else mentioned, but in a 300 having like 50 of them would look awesome.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nereefpat Thank you so much for writing that post. I bought 4 dispar anthias and I’m down to 1. I had no clue why. I only feed frozen food once a day.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels come in many varieties. Domino, 3 stripe, 4 stripe (Dascyllus genus) are the most aggressive. Clowns can be really feisty too, especially the large maroons and clarkiis.
Chrysiptera genus, like saphire, azure, talbot, yellow tail and others are the easiest going.

I second this....

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my blue-green chromis had them almost a year started with 5 and have 3 left. Gave 2 away. My only issue with them is they are voracious eaters. Ordered all mine of Live Aquaria.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 in my 75g tank and I can tell you this I will never have a tank without! These are awesome fish that give your tank life and character also they are great at getting shy fish out and eating! I had these 4 close to 2 years yeah they fight here and there but I notice there’s a pair that kiss at night when the lights are dimming they are the 2 biggest and they bully the other 2 but all 4 are always together. If you have space for them to call home they can do go

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back