OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BeanAnimal In my experience people who "call things as they see them" use that as an excuse to be rude and judgemental. To the point it's a bit of a trope/meme nowadays. Perhaps you're the exception but in this specific case, you were not.

I don't need, nor do I want to feel warm and fuzzy about this. I don't know you personally and in terms of my feelings or what you derisively call "silly", I could not care less. I feel like your attitude in this situation is a societal level problem and has led to many of the issues our country is facing. I was trying to do my part by calling your response out as I see it, as you put things. So I may have been silly in your view, but you were a ******* not just in my opinion but in others as well. Maybe you're just in a position in life where you don't have to care how you treat others, and you don't see a need to try to consider why a thing might be important to another person before opening your mouth to criticize and judge.

And the color was not the main issue, and I acknowledged the differences between looking at a clam from the side and from the top.

I asked for help, because the person I bought this for is more particular than me.

I'm not sure you even really read the thread before deciding this situation was "silly".

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is stupid if you dont like what he is saying just press the ignore button by hovering the cursor over his username. No reason to go back and forth and waste energy on a useless argument.

That being said you still havent posted any pics top down which will be the only way to really tell pattern of the clam. This is a blue maxima and the first pic by biota is the clam half closed as well so idk how much of the pattern you can even see other than the black spotting around the outside

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, it’s not the same clam as in the picture.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, everyone, I'm glad we could get this sorted out and confirm it's the correct clam. We appreciate all our customers and the support for what we do.

We sort and label our WYSIWYG clams, and we even have little "cages" we put them in to stop them from moving in the tanks. We also check WYSIWYG photos when we're picking the clams so we can double check it's the correct one.

Those who mentioned that clams look different when viewed top down are correct. Clams have unique properties causing this fascinating phenomenon: https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/blogs/news/why-do-clams-look-different-when-viewed-from-above

We photograph our clams from above with a DSLR and Porthole. When we receive our clams, we scrub them thoroughly with a toothbrush, so this is why some of the mantles seem very clean and white. You'll notice some of them have a bit of darker staining from normal benthic growths, but we like to get them really clean before we photograph and ship them. We shoot under 20k lighting, but we also use a handheld 10k light to get more accurate color. We do minimal editing, mainly just to remove the background.

We've been doing WYSIWYG for many years at Biota, and our staff actually has a lot more experience with this outside of Biota. Biota Felicia was the Diver's Den photographer and marine life identifier in the mid to late 2000s, so we've really honed in our WYSIWYG protocols over the years to make it the best experience possible for our customers.

BryanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hesitate to get involved, but from a different thread one thing struck me as being golden advice....

I would not purchase WYSIWYG items that are on a black background. I want to see the item, whats around it, a frag deck, anything. This screams heavily edited.

To me, this looks like the same clam, fwiw.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BeanAnimal In my experience people who "call things as they see them" use that as an excuse to be rude and judgemental. To the point it's a bit of a trope/meme nowadays. Perhaps you're the exception but in this specific case, you were not.
Hi - I am not making excuses, I outright indicated that I was judging your actions given the context. I stand by that. You asked for opinions in an open conversation and I gave mine, popular or well received or not.

I'm not sure you even really read the thread before deciding this situation was "silly".
Yes - I read the entire thread prior to posting and stand by what I said.

As I said before, there is no need to go round in circles here. I am not going to change my opinion and you think I am a jerk. If you are ever in the Pittsburgh area, look me up and I will buy you lunch and a beer and send you home with coral.

Good luck with the clam!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't need, nor do I want to feel warm and fuzzy about this. I don't know you personally and in terms of my feelings or what you derisively call "silly", I could not care less. I feel like your attitude in this situation is a societal level problem and has led to many of the issues our country is facing. I was trying to do my part by calling your response out as I see it, as you put things. So I may have been silly in your view, but you were a ******* not just in my opinion but in others as well. Maybe you're just in a position in life where you don't have to care how you treat others, and you don't see a need to try to consider why a thing might be important to another person before opening your mouth to criticize and judge.

And the color was not the main issue, and I acknowledged the differences between looking at a clam from the side and from the top.

I asked for help, because the person I bought this for is more particular than me.

What did you actually expect when making the original post on a public forum? Honest question.

Ignoring the purchase of a WYSWYG item you do know that all of us have different brightness and contrast settings on our devices, right? Some use laptops, some use desktops, tablets, phones, and more. All will see that clam differently. I believe that is one point that @BeanAnimal making. The other part is working with the vendor before posting as you will get a variety of responses and may end up on a road to nowhere. Don't believe me go search here for the ORA Pearlberry thread with everyone asking if it is the real McCoy or not. Rather amusing to be honest.

Biota has a great reputation and responds to messages in a timely manor when contacting them via their portal. At least for me. Jake, Felicia, do amazing and always work through questions or concerns with great outcome. Again, in my experience (and I've purchased fish and corals). It doesn't mean mistakes happen but it does mean more often than not you will get your answer and be satisfied.

To me it seems it seems like a Descartes, or cart before the horse situation and could have been resolved before a post. I very well could be incorrect though and it is just my opinion. Never the less beautiful clam.

Edit: in case you are asking why my post/reply it is because I find the thread title misleading. As I read it - it leads me to believe that Biota actually sent you the wrong item and that may not be the case. While not your intent that can be taken as a bad vendor thing.

As I said before, there is no need to go round in circles here. I am not going to change my opinion and you think I am a jerk. If you are ever in the Pittsburgh area, look me up and I will buy you lunch and a beer and send you home with coral.

Pittsburgh - my son is so angry at the Pirates these season (in a fan sort of way you know). Anyway pass on the beer but that applewood bacon....

Hope your day is well.

Knucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had an issue with BIOTA before. Their customer service is great as well. I would contact them I'm sure they will be honest and help anyway they can.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who mentioned that clams look different when viewed top down are correct. Clams have unique properties causing this fascinating phenomenon:

Not saying that a error occurred somewhere, would the cluster of black dots on both sides of the outer mantle look much different from a top view?

IMG_1118.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying that a error occurred somewhere, would the cluster of black dots on both sides of the outer mantle look much different from a top view?
You cant really see the far edges of the mantle in the original picture from biota as the clam is half closed (or open i guess if ur a glass half full kinda guy)

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota has already responded in great detail, lets see if the mods will take this down and let the customer and the vendor find the solution.
Continued opinions back and forth between non involved parties may not likely help the final outcome.

Lets see if the MOD's would like to jump in here.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota has already responded in great detail, lets see if the mods will take this down and let the customer and the vendor find the solution.
Continued opinions back and forth between non involved parties may not likely help the final outcome.

Lets see if the MOD's would like to jump in here.

It wasn't posted in the vendor forum thus community interaction (Home->Forums->Saltwater Invert Discussion->Clams). As you noted Biota did respond and the question should be resolved.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hesitate to get involved, but from a different thread one thing struck me as being golden advice....

I would not purchase WYSIWYG items that are on a black background. I want to see the item, whats around it, a frag deck, anything. This screams heavily edited.

To me, this looks like the same clam, fwiw.
We actually used to put them in small sand squares for photographs for our WYSIWYG or on eggcrate but it didn't match the rest of the photos on the website and there was variability with reflections and surroundings so I purchased a few sheets of 3/16" black acrylic that we put down in our tanks, put the clams on a small frag disk to keep them propped and give them a day to open fully for photos.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1118.jpeg

Can't see that side from the top view and what you can see is blurry on the left side.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I am not making excuses, I outright indicated that I was judging your actions given the context. I stand by that. You asked for opinions in an open conversation and I gave mine, popular or well received or not.

Yes - I read the entire thread prior to posting and stand by what I said.

Good luck with the clam!
Can we have an argument before I travel to Pittsburgh, or can I just drop in and score some reef stuff? (Asking for a friend.)

Kisses GIF by GIPHY IRL

Hey, everyone, I'm glad we could get this sorted out and confirm it's the correct clam. We appreciate all our customers and the support for what we do.
A dear friend of mine had a coral store and when he got really amazing specimens he would post pictures on line. Immediately, someone would comment the colors were not real, etc. It's a difficult job to post pictures and send stuff in the mail that will generally fade in transportation. I feel your pain, and thanks for supplying so many different specimens for the hobby.
Those who mentioned that clams look different when viewed top down are correct. Clams have unique properties causing this fascinating phenomenon: https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/blogs/news/why-do-clams-look-different-when-viewed-from-above
Those mantles are an incredible receptor and modifier of light. I saw a wild Maxima that looked like a brilliant blue sapphire when I snorkeled by on a shallow fringing reef. I have always wanted to find one similar for sale but they are so unique I don't think I will be lucky enough to see a second one like it.

And, sadly you did make a mistake in the paragraph below? I think you scrub the shells not the mantles?
We photograph our clams from above with a DSLR and Porthole. When we receive our clams, we scrub them thoroughly with a toothbrush, so this is why some of the mantles seem very clean and white. You'll notice some of them have a bit of darker staining from normal benthic growths, but we like to get them really clean before we photograph and ship them. We shoot under 20k lighting, but we also use a handheld 10k light to get more accurate color. We do minimal editing, mainly just to remove the background.
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:I had to be a jerk and point out the error, not to be mean but to laugh at the difficulties of communication that I often share, and the older I get the more often I find myself

Forgetting what I was thinking about when I typed something else?

Don't tell any body, it will be our secret.

Thanks for working hard over the years to make it the best experience possible for our customers. We appreciate it
Some of Biota's words were changed but the clam looks to be the same, and I understand how important it is when I am picking up an item for a gift.

She still abuses me when she thinks I said something wrong. My advice is for young people to stay single and get a LFS to keep busy with.

the rolling stones GIF

Like Rodney King said, "Why cant we just get high and get along and reef a bit."

Or was that Steven King, I get confused sometime?

Back