Do you think regal angelfish are reef safe?

Leib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have been succesful keeping them in a reef tank how has your experience been?

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately all angels are susceptible to chewing on corals. Sometimes it can be hit or miss though. Some people have angels in their tanks without any issues but i would guess that the vast majority of people have

OP
OP
Leib

Leib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regals are with caution. If you looking for a reef safe Angel look at the genicanthus family. Bellus, watanabi, masked, swallowtail, Lamark. All of those are completely Reefsafe.
Thanks its just the beuty of the red sea regal is what tempts me so much

OP
OP
Leib

Leib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does YouTube videos too. Warning...get a drool towel ready!
I will At one point I actually had a mixed reef tank with regals and a couple ofa anemones but it was years ago and I was that jerk that was kinda succesful at reefing without knowing a thing about it until I had ick and it wiped out my entire tank while I was on vacation

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With angels, it’s always going to be hit or miss. Softies are at the most risk with SPS the least. Grazing habits will change with age too... as I’ve had some that wouldn’t touch a thing as a juvi become coral devouring monsters as an adult.

Regals are usually pretty safe besides the occasional tasting of SPS. No real damage but it does like to taste every once in awhile. Zoas are still in danger as well as fleshy LPS in my experience.
29C5B2B4-FEB6-4C1A-8111-F2666E4936FE.jpeg
F1B8F3C0-5FDB-4424-B1C4-2E076D3002D6.jpeg
CE405EB5-B647-490F-AE05-16B59299875F.jpeg

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned in the previous comments , sometimes angel can be safe and some times they can be a nightmare.

Form what I noticed zoas will be at higher risk, some lps like acans and brains can be at risk. SPS in general will be safe.
Angels like to explorer and pick everywhere, these picks are usually harmless.

genicanthus angels are the safest angels, they are planktivore and will usually stay away from corals.

I would give the regal a try if you are noting keeping or not planing to keep zoas

OP
OP
Leib

Leib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned in the previous comments , sometimes angel can be safe and some times they can be a nightmare.

Form what I noticed zoas will be at higher risk, some lps like acans and brains can be at risk. SPS in general will be safe.
Angels like to explorer and pick everywhere, these picks are usually harmless.

genicanthus angels are the safest angels, they are planktivore and will usually stay away from corals.

I would give the regal a try if you are noting keeping or not planing to keep zoas
I have some mushrooms like really expensive ones do you think he will pick ok on those

OP
OP
Leib

Leib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all coral safe with caution fish, it might always come down to: am I willing to lose this coral to this fish? If not then they probably shouldn't be in the same tank.
Ya Because I kinda have a jew breaker he would be a pretty expensive lunch lol

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah why I don't have any gold hammers in my tank. Too expensive for a fish snack, I would be too tempted to go spear hunting for the culprit after.

OP
OP
Leib

Leib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah why I don't have any gold hammers in my tank. Too expensive for a fish snack, I would be too tempted to go spear hunting for the culprit after.
Lol totally agree

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have jew breaker , but have green bounce mushroom and other mushrooms , my angels don't touch them.
Angels will not touch Euphyllia Corals (Hammers, Torches, Frogspawn)

BUY OR DIY! WHICH DO YOU PREFER? SHARE YOUR DIY PROJECTS IN THE THREAD!

• I prefer to buy!

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I prefer to DIY!

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • It depends on the project or equipment I need!

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back