OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use window screening from the big box stores. Aluminum channel, rubber seal, fiberglass mesh… virtually invisible, however, If you want a more invisible look paint it black.
I was almost about to go that route till I started thinking about the egg crate, it just seems quicker and easier to do.

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was almost about to go that route till I started thinking about the egg crate, it just seems quicker and easier to do.
All depends on your tank, I don’t have the depth for egg crate and I definitely didn’t want it sticking over the top.

Either way works especially if you won’t have any fish that could jump through those openings.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t had much of a problem since I switched to 24Vdc pumps. Before I used 12 volt computer fans that had a high IP Rating, on the Sump. Would start them out blowing up. Further into Summer, flipped them to blow down.

dkline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling a bit with a lid for the tank. Tank is a standard 75gal and I have glass lids for it, problem is I have a hard time keeping the temp down in the summer. I wired a fan up and connected it to my apex which helps but the thing that really does it is to just take the lids off.
I would like to change but I'm having a hard time deciding what to change to. I do have coral so shadowing is a concern.
What do you use, why, and how well does it work?
I use this. Slightly smaller grid than egg crate and clear so not as much light blockage. https://a.co/d/7X7a2tq

dkline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I was just saying it has smaller grid size than typical egg crate I have seen on most tank tops. And it is clear. But good job being helpful on the thread and not just trolling people trying to provide some help for someone asking.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so just looked at the Kraken lids, pretty slick lids....but....holy pricey batman! :eek:

45$ per lid custom made for my 75g tank. 90$ total

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I was just saying it has smaller grid size than typical egg crate I have seen on most tank tops. And it is clear. But good job being helpful on the thread and not just trolling people trying to provide some help for someone asking.
My apologies, I didn't mean to offend.
The link you posted is very helpful, seems like good spacing on the grid and it's at a price that's pretty hard to beat! I'd prob go with the black though.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a custom cover when I bought my entire system a couple of years ago - also a 75gallon. It was expensive, but works well. It’s durable, lets light through and lets the aquarium breathe as it’s an acrylic frame with mesh.

GO BLUE! I’m a Michigan alum and Michigan native. Been in Minnesota for a long time, but still love my Michigan roots!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you got that price for a kraken lid, that's sweet. I didn't see a price point like that on the site.
Did you just contact them and spec out what you were looking for?

It’s not kraken but it is polycarbonate

I paid full price for a kraken lid on my 15g nano and yea it’s good but my 75g needs a much bigger lid and I wanted it mostly solid

I got it from a lid company and then got them to join the forum

@WalterLidz

Contact them through the website and they will custom make to almost any measurement and will customize however you want

I picked the number of rows of holes, where they would be, the design around the outer rim, how big I wanted the door to be, where I wanted the small gap for the door/hinge to not interfere with my lights frame mount, added the feeding holes and caps.

90$ Total for the 75g

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use black egg crate (have used white before but IMO black looks better).
Minimal PAR loss, no noticeable shadowing.
Works very well, especially considering the price. Can easily be cut to accommodate cords, internal overflow, etc.
I also use egg crate. I customize four foot light fixture egg crate lenses. Easy to do and has eliminates jump outs!!

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use egg crate. I customize four foot light fixture egg crate lenses. Easy to do and has eliminates jump outs!!
That's what I'm looking to do, and help keep temp stable in the summer.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used egg crate, but switched to a DIY screen. I like the look better. I found a place that does custom printed corners that fit hardware store aluminum window screen frame. Got screen material from BRS (although hardware store stuff would have probably worked fine) and put them together. Used silicone to hold the corners to the frame lengths and a couple places where I couldn't get the spline to hold. Put in a couple feed ports, also. They work pretty good.
@ScottJ Care to share the place that did the custom printed corners?

Back