Dosing Frequency - AFR / new tank

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My tank is fully cycled and I was about to begin dosing. I have a 25G tank w/o corals, but with live rock and coralline. I’m leaving for a 4 day vacation on Wednesday and will not be able to test or dose until Sunday. I have already dosed 5ml yesterday, and 2.5ml today.

I do not yet have any alk test kits. I was going to get the Hanna but was not able to just yet. All testing has been done at LFS.

Do I hold off on further dosing until I have an alk test kit and I can dose on a schedule? I got ahead of myself but don’t see how such an initial small amount can do much.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have corals that are consuming alkalinity? Then to what extent

pooootiqe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to dose just yet until new corals are added.

Any colorimetric kh kits would suffice, Hanna kh reagent’s kinda expensive.

It may be worth noting that the kh addition from AFR won’t be immediately measurable.

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to dose just yet until new corals are added.

Any colorimetric kh kits would suffice, Hanna kh reagent’s kinda expensive.

It may be worth noting that the kh addition from AFR won’t be immediately measurable.
I will hold off until after vacation and test kits.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I hold off on further dosing until I have an alk test kit and I can dose on a schedule? I got ahead of myself but don’t see how such an initial small amount can do much.

You noted no corals. Water changes will be fine. You shouldn't start dosing until you can test on your own and see what the demand is or is going to be. Trends.

Cart before the horse in this case.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before dosing, you should have corals, and the corals should start dosing. You should have test kits. You should have a proper understanding of why you are dosing and what should be done, you should do some research.

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You noted no corals. Water changes will be fine. You shouldn't start dosing until you can test on your own and see what the demand is or is going to be. Trends.

Cart before the horse in this case.
Would there be any cause for concern that I dosed and don’t have a test kit? There’s live rock and algae, I can’t see a single dose doing too much

I am going to get test kit asap

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would there be any cause for concern that I dosed and don’t have a test kit? There’s live rock and algae, I can’t see a single dose doing too much

I doubt that small dose one time will cause any issues.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. As another member already stated a single dose isn't going to be a concern. You noted there are no corals currently in the display. The size is small enough that a frequent water change will take care of the current needs and therefore no dosing required. Frequency can be weekly, bi weekly, etc. Just depends on your schedule.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people with smaller tanks maintain parameters with water changes alone. As stated no corals no need to dose. Once your back from vaca and have test kits maybe test just to see where your alk is at and proceed from there. First thing is you'll have to decide is where you even want to keep your alk level. Using a salt that mixes at or close to to the level you want to keep makes things easier.

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to go against the grain here. I have noticed alk consumption without corals. I believe some forms of the dry rock consume it, or at least something is. But yeah, you will need a test kit to check it.

OP
OP
harlequinfanaticyert

harlequinfanaticyert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting the alk test kit and will slowly begin dosing with significantly smaller doses than usual. Idea is to minimize water changes and grow coralline. I’ll under stock and test regularly

IceNein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to go against the grain here. I have noticed alk consumption without corals. I believe some forms of the dry rock consume it, or at least something is. But yeah, you will need a test kit to check it.

I think people mean that alkalinity will not typically be lowered enough to warrant dosing without corals. Yes, there are many things in your tank that will use alkalinity like coralline algae, micro crustaceans, and your clean up crew's shells.

STEEZY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people mean that alkalinity will not typically be lowered enough to warrant dosing without corals. Yes, there are many things in your tank that will use alkalinity like coralline algae, micro crustaceans, and your clean up crew's shells.

My alk was in the 5s without dosing and nothing in the tank. I actually don’t know if that’s ok for fish only but I didn’t want to find out.

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 83 49.1%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 34 20.1%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 40 23.7%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 43 25.4%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back