eBay Algae Turf Scrubbers good idea?

Tang22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is the acs 10. It's on an 80 gallon display and probably around 12 gallon water volume sump (correct me if I'm wrong vintage), it has 3 clowns, 3 fire fish, 2 cardinals and two azure damsels. Clean up crew is 3 pithos,3 emeralds, 2 peppermints, two turbos, about 20 blue legs, and 10-20 nerites. Snails and hermits are locally caught, benefit of living in South Florida lol.
My nitrates are really
High (80+) on a 200g (160g display and 40g sump) I’m stocked heavy with fish. Run a skimmer and filter fleece. I wonder if the ACS 10 would be able to drive nitrates all the way down

Devaji

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are really
High (80+) on a 200g (160g display and 40g sump) I’m stocked heavy with fish. Run a skimmer and filter fleece. I wonder if the ACS 10 would be able to drive nitrates all the way down
worth a shot, I am strongly considering that one in the hang on sump version or the 7 for a $100 cheaper. the screen is 2" smaller on the 7 and the 10 has more LEDs .

oh it will be on a IM 200/275 FOWLR just stocking now.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would of have gone with the hang on sump version but as you can see from my pic that life reef takes up a lot of real estate

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With the price it seems like it could be worth a shot but I will would definitely check out the feedback first as I don't necessarily considered 98.4% excellent feedback. And check the seller's return policies. The newer algae scrubbers cost ridiculous amounts of money and are a bit inconvenient to hook up so I like the idea, but I know there's people out there who have done DIY on their own and had plenty of success. I've used a clear water and aside from being the heaviest thing on the planet I never had a great time with maintenance.

EvolvedMonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had it a few months. I’m not sure if it does since I dose trace elements once a week.
Can you give an update on your scrubber? I'm about to buy one. Did it take care of your nitrates and phosphates?

Did you give any thoughts as to which generation you were going to buy? Is the algae flex screen a must?

There are so many options from G4-G7 and quite a price range.

I only have 1.25" on the side of my sump. Do you think the hob will be able to squeeze in there?

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah sorry I've been swamped
my landlord decided to sell his house so I got served a notice and I've been really busy. Were we talking about the trigger system Crystal with a algae turf scrubber on top of it? It will support the weight for sure although I don't know over long term the cw v1 is very heavy, but hooking it up would involve some skill as it is wider than the sump as. for the algae scrubbers you mentioned I myself and a lot of members probably wouldn't use a hang on back for something like that especially something that's not from unknown brand. I could be wrong but when I searched that it seems like something that they only have on eBay which I would personally be wary of, although it could actually be a good product you can always search the forums. I mean I just searched it on the web and found a thread about a guy talking about the whole thing blowing off because of pressure problems. The screen inside the algae scrubber is the only thing that allows it to function aside from the lights. I personally have had ridiculous success growing algae recently with my Geo atrs. I just personally refer prefer reactors, and it's preferable not to pump water outside of your sump or tank unless it's in a sealed vessel like a reactor. A clog or any issues of the sort could cause an overflow and Ive personally seen issues. The name brand turf scrubbers are ridiculously expensive too I don't know much about them, but they are a little higher maintenance and I believe grow a different type of algae more along the nuisance line if I'm not wrong. Of course it's contained to the scrubber so it's not really an issue but you have to pull out the screen and clean it out while I can just open or react or pull out Cheato throw it in a tank or sell it to someone. That is just my opinion. I think the trigger system sump I have was actually modified for an turf scrubber as it has holes drilled in the side of the return pump chamber and with the way my algae scrubber sat on top it kind of lined up if you wanted to use hard plumbing. Another option is getting a hang on back refugium and buying a refugium light to grow macro algae. I'd say that'd be much preferable, but once again I encourage you to research and make your own decision

Back