Egg crate?

Sphyrna_gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is egg crate under aquascaping still a thing?
from what I've read around some keepers like to use good ole PVC with ventilation drilled holes under their rock work. some still use egg crate as a base, kinda depends on preference and space/tank set up you're going for

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15g cube. Wasn't sure if it was a thing still. I also read too put the rock on the sand. That I am not going to do. Rock first and sand around it so sand sifters don't knock it over.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried egg crate in my last build and regretted it immediately. Anytime the sand was moved (from livestock or pumps) the eggcrate became visible. I now put the rock directly on the glass or sand (I have never had a scape knocked down from sand sifters dislodging rock).

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think @Goaway used egg crate under rocks. Siliconed it so it doesn't slide around, then added the rock, filled in with sand.

I put my rocks straight on the glass and filled in with sand.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going right onto the glass and epoxied the rock together. Sand is next.

20240907_224711.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think @Goaway used egg crate under rocks. Siliconed it so it doesn't slide around, then added the rock, filled in with sand.

I put my rocks straight on the glass and filled in with sand.
That was several other posters, lost in the sauce, maybe @Reefing_addiction umm fishy, perhaps scratch did too.

Reefing_addiction

Addiction on Pause - I lied
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the point would be unless you were securing base rock to the egg crate to keep it from being directly on the glass???

I’ve used egg crate to create lids and temp frag holders…

I placed sand and then the rocks (cuz I’m a rebel - but that means I have to wiggle the rocks down into the sand)…..

RWReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the point would be unless you were securing base rock to the egg crate to keep it from being directly on the glass???

I’ve used egg crate to create lids and temp frag holders…

I placed sand and then the rocks (cuz I’m a rebel - but that means I have to wiggle the rocks down into the sand)…..
I actually just used it on mine under the areas of the rock that would touch the bottom of the tank. Thought being that I wanted as much sand under the rock work as possible for cleaners and potential sand dwelling fauna, and I didn’t want to lose 2” of my aquascape to sand, so I basically just elevated it. Glued 3 levels together to raise the scape about 1”. Cut the shapes to only for the footprint of the rock that was directly above and would be touching the bottom so there’s not just a mass of egg crate in the tank.

Reefing_addiction

Addiction on Pause - I lied
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just used it on mine under the areas of the rock that would touch the bottom of the tank. Thought being that I wanted as much sand under the rock work as possible for cleaners and potential sand dwelling fauna, and I didn’t want to lose 2” of my aquascape to sand, so I basically just elevated it. Glued 3 levels together to raise the scape about 1”. Cut the shapes to only for the footprint of the rock that was directly above and would be touching the bottom so there’s not just a mass of egg crate in the tank.
This makes sense…..

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 56 76.7%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back