Enjoying seeing an increase in women in the hobby

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently noticed that many of the new members on R2R are women. 30 years ago I was totally in the minority and it is nice to see the gap closing. I’m still, typically, the only woman shopping at my LFS, but it’s nice to know there are more of us in the hobby these days.
My wife has been happy having me hang out at the LFS but with all the hot ladies coming in to the hobby I am terrified that she won’t let me shop anywhere except on line in the future.
Every positive change has some negative consequences.
Happy Birthday Party GIF

OP
OP
edsbeaker

edsbeaker

Grandma Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has been happy having me hang out at the LFS but with all the hot ladies coming in to the hobby I am terrified that she won’t let me shop anywhere except on line in the future.
Happy Birthday Party GIF
Where have you been shopping? LOL. It’s the opposite for me here in Indianapolis. My husband has that same concern with me being around all those men.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Birthday Party GIF
LOL, my wife and I have a rule. She will point out hot chicks to me and I'll point out hot dudes to her. ESPECIALLY on vacation when we're at the beach. I'll, of course, will say something like, Who does that guy remind you of? She'll sigh, shake her head, and say Why you, of course! I absolutely know this is a bold-faced lie, but I will take it!

OP
OP
edsbeaker

edsbeaker

Grandma Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, my wife and I have a rule. She will point out hot chicks to me and I'll point out hot dudes to her. ESPECIALLY on vacation when we're at the beach. I'll, of course, will say something like, Who does that guy remind you of? She'll sigh, shake her head, and say Why you, of course! I absolutely know this is a bold-faced lie, but I will take it!
Well, I can understand her concern at the beach, but at the LFS are any of us REALLY staring at anything else other than the coral and fish?

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live south of Indy in Columbus. always down to have a fellow reefer come check out our build. @MrsBugmaster is in INDMAS. I was but haven't paid dues in a couple of years. good group of people when i was in it, not sure how it is now.
Still a great bunch of people and more female reefers every day in the club. I am hosting the December/Chrismas meeting I hope you can attend. Feel free to dm me anytime for more info.

OP
OP
edsbeaker

edsbeaker

Grandma Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a great bunch of people and more female reefers every day in the club. I am hosting the December/Chrismas meeting I hope you can attend. Feel free to dm me anytime for more info.
Thank you! I just paid my dues for INDMAS. :)
I have to ask if you have an African Gray?

OP
OP
edsbeaker

edsbeaker

Grandma Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have an African Grey. 22 years old now and got him at about 6 weeks old.
22, Wow! I would love to meet him/her some day. I’ve had parrots most of my life. Right now we have 2 Green Cheek conures 6 1/2 years old! That’s them in my avatar.

I will DM you for more information regarding INDMAS meetings soon! Thanks

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22, Wow! I would love to meet him/her some day. I’ve had parrots most of my life. Right now we have 2 Green Cheek conures 6 1/2 years old! That’s them in my avatar.

I will DM you for more information regarding INDMAS meetings soon! Thanks

It doesn’t have to be an INDMAS meeting for you to come over! You are not that far from me. Your are welcome anytime.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller / Team BC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just in a frag swap, and It seemed like around 50% of my customers were women. I just wish my wife or daughters (four of them together) would take an interest. Oh well, maybe my granddaughter will be a Reefer. Lol!

OP
OP
edsbeaker

edsbeaker

Grandma Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just in a frag swap, and It seemed like around 50% of my customers were women. I just wish my wife or daughters (four of them together) would take an interest. Oh well, maybe my granddaughter will be a Reefer. Lol!
50% is a lot. I’m happy to hear this!
Sorry that no women in your life are interested. You need to hook that granddaughter!

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely enjoy reefing. It's hard not to. :) I've been doing it for nearly three years. I was doing freshwater before that. I do keep a couple small FW tanks for the bettas and shrimp though.

OP
OP
edsbeaker

edsbeaker

Grandma Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely enjoy reefing. It's hard not to. :) I've been doing it for nearly three years. I was doing freshwater before that. I do keep a couple small FW tanks for the bettas and shrimp though.
I’ve gone back and forth between freshwater and saltwater over the years. It’s hard to pick sometimes.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently noticed that many of the new members on R2R are women. 30 years ago I was totally in the minority and it is nice to see the gap closing. I’m still, typically, the only woman shopping at my LFS, but it’s nice to know there are more of us in the hobby these days.
First saltwater tank, 1981, when we bleached the dead corals and ran Diatom filter once a week. It had sump built in with bio balls and tray drip to 20 or so gallons on bottom to return pump. Naso , Sailfin Regal and yellow tangs!
Debra

TOP 10 Trending Threads

BUY OR DIY! WHICH DO YOU PREFER? SHARE YOUR DIY PROJECTS IN THE THREAD!

• I prefer to buy!

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • I prefer to DIY!

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • It depends on the project or equipment I need!

Votes: 59 60.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back