Feeling defeated one year in (reef tank)

OP
OP
B

Bushnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s an updated video showing the (assuming they’re happy) corals and flow. Carbon arrived today so I’ll begin dosing daily!

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s an updated video showing the (assuming they’re happy) corals and flow. Carbon arrived today so I’ll begin dosing daily!

From the video GSP looks nice and happy… Polyps are out, regardless what people say GSP does best when parameters are pristine.
Retracted, sulking GSP is a great indicator that something is not inline.

Go easy on the carbon dosing and honestly just observe what happens over next week or two.

It is bit like watching paint dry, and take pictures so you can compare and decide if things are improving.

OP
OP
B

Bushnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the video GSP looks nice and happy… Polyps are out, regardless what people say GSP does best when parameters are pristine.
Retracted, sulking GSP is a great indicator that something is not inline.

Go easy on the carbon dosing and honestly just observe what happens over next week or two.

It is bit like watching paint dry, and take pictures so you can compare and decide if things are improving.
Thank you so much! Honestly the taking pictures and videos part has been crucial in comparing and knowing if something’s working! Thanks again for all of your help

OP
OP
B

Bushnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to a bacteria bloom (I think?) this morning. Not sure what would’ve caused this, but I’ll continue business as usual (dosing 0.2ml of NP-Bacto-Balance) and feeding pellets once a day
IMG_6437.jpeg

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to a bacteria bloom (I think?) this morning. Not sure what would’ve caused this, but I’ll continue business as usual (dosing 0.2ml of NP-Bacto-Balance) and feeding pellets once a day
IMG_6437.jpeg
If that is bacteria bloom, I would stop dosing NP BB. Bacteria bloom is not bad but It can deplete oxygen and that can be detrimental etc… I would let it clear up and try at 0.1ml every 3days. But only once it clears up and restart slow. Maybe even 0.05ml every 3 days (a drop).

At this point what is going into the tank?
What pellets are you using?
Also is the skimmer working?
Carbon dosing and skimmer go hand in hand. If skimmer is working maybe clean it.

Alternative approach is to feed pellets 2x a day.

OP
OP
B

Bushnell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing else is going into the tank besides pellets once a day in the morning after the lights come on. I was told before I was over feeding for my stock so I only feed a small amount of pellets once a day. I stopped adding reef roids when this whole ordeal began over a week ago and before the 4 20% WCs

Sera Marine Granules (image)

Skimmer works great! Takes about 3 days for the cup to fill up and smells like death. I did a deep clean of the skimmer day I started the first of four WCs (I took it out and brushed it down and rinsed it with RODI). It took a few days to get settled back in but it’s back to filled up every

IMG_6441.png

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing else is going into the tank besides pellets once a day in the morning after the lights come on. I was told before I was over feeding for my stock so I only feed a small amount of pellets once a day. I stopped adding reef roids when this whole ordeal began over a week ago and before the 4 20% WCs

Sera Marine Granules (image)

Skimmer works great! Takes about 3 days for the cup to fill up and smells like death. I did a deep clean of the skimmer day I started the first of four WCs (I took it out and brushed it down and rinsed it with RODI). It took a few days to get settled back in but it’s back to filled up every

IMG_6441.png
Ok skimmer will add oxygen back so no worries about any critters suffocating.

Feeding is tough, I feed 4 times a day very generous pinches.
I want active healthy fish that produce a lot of coral food(poop). I tried reduced feeding and it did not turn out well.
Few of my members:
1714916808862.jpeg

1714916825594.jpeg

Many on the market coral foods are high in phosphate and nitrates so in your case I would use none. They are good but are designed for packed tanks and create problems for beginners or new tanks.

The idea behind carbon dosing is to feed bacteria and help to establish the biofilm and food for corals. Obviously in your tank it is working too good so stop, let the tank consume what ever is driving the bacteria bloom and once things clear up you can re-start with reduced amount. Many salt mixes contain extras (iron and manganese) and since you did large water change this might be driving the bacteria bloom. The iron and manganese does precipitate out to low levels but that can take few days.

For my fish I use Fauna Marin Soft Multi Mix pellets. There are very few things in it:
1714917774826.jpeg

No fillers like flour, wheat etc… so there is less chance of polluting the water column. For example fish cannot digest wheat flour so eventually it ends up in the water. Even with reduced feeding it packs a lot of what fish eat on a real reef but it is pricey.

Attachments

• 1714917180223.jpeg
    1714917180223.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 6

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut back on water changes a bit and get your nitrates up to somewhere around 15 IMHO keep phosphates between .02 and .1 why are you carbon dosing?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back