First reef aquarium, asking for advice please!

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting the 15 nuvo fusion AIO cube aquarium to house a pair of black ice clownfish. I like the bubble tip/long tentacle anemones and I plan on getting a few other soft corals. Would the ai prime 16hd light be suffice? If not what else would you recommend? Tank measurements would be 15 x 15 x 15 and I plan on having 3 inches of sand on the bottom.

Second, where can I learn how to take care of these? I.e. how long should I have light on for, what to look out for, and any other care recommendations or advice! TIA

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI prime is fine for that tank but a 15G is small for a pair of mature clowns.

Isaac :)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting the 15 nuvo fusion AIO cube aquarium to house a pair of black ice clownfish. I like the bubble tip/long tentacle anemones and I plan on getting a few other soft corals. Would the ai prime 16hd light be suffice? If not what else would you recommend? Tank measurements would be 15 x 15 x 15 and I plan on having 3 inches of sand on the bottom.

Second, where can I learn how to take care of these? I.e. how long should I have light on for, what to look out for, and any other care recommendations or advice! TIA
The best advice I can give is to take this slow! I know it's soooo hard and you want to jump right in but your tank and wallet will be much happier if you take things slow. I mean months to cycle and adding fish and coral slow. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I can give is to take this slow! I know it's soooo hard and you want to jump right in but your tank and wallet will be much happier if you take things slow. I mean months to cycle and adding fish and coral slow. Good luck!
thank you sir I definitely will, I have a 75 gal and 40 gal fowlr tanks to keep me entertained :)

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would scrap the 15 gallon and go for something a bit bigger like this:

1724596803287.jpeg

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would scrap the 15 gallon and go for something a bit bigger like this:

1724596803287.jpeg
Gotcha, so would I still be good with that light or should I upgrade?

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with Dave on the WB. If you choose to go with the WB25, maybe considering opting for a pair of AI Blades for better coverage. Just gonna mention stuff I often read about nems and clowns. Clowns are bullies and will often take over small tanks, other fish will likely get bullied and your hand will eventually be too. Nems aren’t recommended for beginners or not mature tanks, they will sting other coral and often move around.

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Dave on the WB. If you choose to go with the WB25, maybe considering opting for a pair of AI Blades for better coverage. Just gonna mention stuff I often read about nems and clowns. Clowns are bullies and will often take over small tanks, other fish will likely get bullied and your hand will eventually be too. Nems aren’t recommended for beginners or not mature tanks, they will sting other coral and often move around.
Don’t plan on having any other fish just the two clowns maybe a shrimp or two, but I know i have to wait for it to get established for a couple months, just planning ahead for the future!

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please please please keep your GHA under control. I always recommend a kessil A80 for those size of tanks. I run my light for around 8-9 hours so just do what you think is right. I wanna give you a recommendation for a soft coral try a common favia. Anyways keep us updated and make a build thread so we can see your tank more!

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Isn’t Favia an LPS? I wouldn’t run lights that long, especially if there’s nothing photosynthetic in there. Heck if you can omit lighting for the first 3 months of your tanks life cycle you could probably avoid some nuisance algae.

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please please please keep your GHA under control. I always recommend a kessil A80 for those size of tanks. I run my light for around 8-9 hours so just do what you think is right. I wanna give you a recommendation for a soft coral try a common favia. Anyways keep us updated and make a build thread so we can see your tank more!
I’ll have to start one for sure! What’s your opinion on just 2 clowns in the 15? Should I do the 25 instead?

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to my understanding the kessil a80 would only omit 100-130 PAR being hung a foot above the tank by the time it got to the top of the water level so wouldn’t this be too low for pretty much anything and eliminate any anemone options? They are definitely a 100% must for me. I know they aren’t easy to care for but I’m ready for the challenge lol

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to start one for sure! What’s your opinion on just 2 clowns in the 15? Should I do the 25 instead?
It would be good I'm pretty sure. If you did a 25 you could keep a goby or something in there with them.

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be good I'm pretty sure. If you did a 25 you could keep a goby or something in there with them.
Okay cool. Only reason why is cause i don’t wanna spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on corals and anemones for my first go in case I don’t like the upkeep or have problems. Hence why it’s not going in my 40 for 75gal tank

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 57 38.0%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back