Fish help

zk12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cade reef 900 S2 with two clownfish, a orchid dotty back, midas blenny and a royal Gramma. The royal Gramma I got from biota and it's like the smallest fish ever honestly not even sure how they were even able to sell it. Point is the royal Gramma seems to be getting bullied by the orchid dottyback. Not sure what to do it about this considering the tank isn't that small. Should I get rid of the royal Gramma for it's own safety? I'm thinking about getting a couple of more fish down the road but would like to prevent aggression from happening. What do I do? Open to all suggestions

17294697078651900004978879627401.jpg

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the pic looks like the gramma is very skinny to the point it isnt going to make it. Might just be the pic though. Orchid dotties are very aggressive I would rehome the dotty personally. I had one years ago and it would let no other fish in the tank. It was a small tank think a 29g biocube when that started leaking I set up a slightly larger tank the dotty didnt get to come to the new tank.

OP
OP
Z

zk12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly am not sure what to do or how to catch this orchid dottyback. But if it's going to prevent me from getting anymore fish in this tank it's gotta go. I want to get a mandarin dragonet and a melanarus wrasse down the road. Any advice on how to catch the orchid dottyback? I figured since the orchid was captive bred it wouldn't be aggressive but I guess I was wrong.

OP
OP
Z

zk12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell from the pic looks like the gramma is very skinny to the point it isnt going to make it. Might just be the pic though. Orchid dotties are very aggressive I would rehome the dotty personally. I had one years ago and it would let no other fish in the tank. It was a small tank think a 29g biocube when that started leaking I set up a slightly larger tank the dotty didnt get to come to the new tank.
And sorry about the bad pic, I don't have one of those orange filter things for my camera on my phone unfortunately.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And sorry about the bad pic, I don't have one of those orange filter things for my camera on my phone unfortunately.
Try downloading coral cam. Its an app I have android but I think there was one something like it for apple too.

It looks like its stomach is sunken in. Is it?

As far as catching the orchid dottyback they are not easy to catch try to take away his hiding spot and use a pair of nets when he sees first one sneak up with the other.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cade reef 900 S2 with two clownfish, a orchid dotty back, midas blenny and a royal Gramma. The royal Gramma I got from biota and it's like the smallest fish ever honestly not even sure how they were even able to sell it. Point is the royal Gramma seems to be getting bullied by the orchid dottyback. Not sure what to do it about this considering the tank isn't that small. Should I get rid of the royal Gramma for it's own safety? I'm thinking about getting a couple of more fish down the road but would like to prevent aggression from happening. What do I do? Open to all suggestions

17294697078651900004978879627401.jpg

get rid of the dottyback imo... these fish are both similar and not surprising the dotty is harssing it, it probably would pick on a full size gramma too. I say get rid of the orchid because my orchid was fine for 1 year then lost its **** and killed a large damsel and two cleaner shrimp before I could get it out. I replaced it with a gramma which is a much more peaceful fish.

Mine was also captive bred but it does not remove the orchids instincts.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I would put the gramma in a breeder box/acclimation box to protect it until you can get the dotty out. These tiny fish need 4-6 meals a day, feed feed feed, grammas do grow fast but if it is not able to feed frequently, it will starve, baby fish needs lots of food like baby kittens or humans or whatever.

Most captive bred fish are tiny.

00W

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures with whites on would be best.
Can't tell anything from the photo.
Dottybacks are some of the meanest fish there are.
I've had 2, both of which were bad mistakes on my part.
Never again.
Grama won't make it if you leave it in there so catch it.
If you don't have a box use a Tupperware container, poke some holes in it and feed the poor thing.
Separate them somehow as soon as you can.

OP
OP
Z

zk12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures with whites on would be best.
Can't tell anything from the photo.
Dottybacks are some of the meanest fish there are.
I've had 2, both of which were bad mistakes on my part.
Never again.
Grama won't make it if you leave it in there so catch it.
If you don't have a box use a Tupperware container, poke some holes in it and feed the poor thing.
Separate them somehow as soon as you can.
I just took all the rock out of the tank, it was hiding in the rock. Once I took the rock out it jumped onto the ground. Now it's in a bucket and will be going to the fish store tomorrow. I couldn't catch the Gramma but I'm sure it'll be a lot better off now without the dottyback in there.

Last edited:

00W

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took all the rock out of the tank, it was hiding in the rock. Once I took the rock out it jumped onto the ground. Not it's a bucket and will be going to the fish store tomorrow. I couldn't catch the Gramma but I'm sure it'll be a lot better off now without the Gramma in there.
Well....
I guess that's one way to do it. ;) :rolleyes:
Keep us updated on the Gramma's condition.
And feed it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back