Fishy Funerals: Have you ever done anything that resulted in a fish or coral death?

Have you ever done anything that resulted in a fish or coral death? What did you learn from it?

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 104 84.6%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admit it...We're human, and we make mistakes! Sometimes, mistakes can be corrected without consequence, and other times...maybe not. The nature of this hobby can be unforgiving at times, and we keep some sensitive creatures. Have you ever experienced the ultimate consequence of mistakes in reef-keeping?

Have you ever done anything that resulted in a fish or coral death? Share what you learned from that experience!

P.S. Please refrain from roasting each other (and me) in the comments. :face-in-clouds:

season 5 the original fry cook GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I think this is a part of reefing that happens to everyone that has been at it for a while. For me, it’s more of what I didn’t do versus what I did. Not quarantining fish, not paying attention to the tanks, and not being patient are some things that come to mind. Things still go south every once in a while, but my reaction time has decreased because of those past mistakes.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOPOX directions were horrible but since corrected. As a result, I thought I was dosing less than recommended but it was more than recommended.
The end result was a clouded tank and 2 serpant stars literally fell apart in pieces.
It was a horrible site.

jthunderzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Programmed my autofeeder as if it was not using military time... left it on for like 2 hours :(

xitsmike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning the tank and I didn't secure my rock in place, a big piece fell on top of my huge BTA. It was a goner. Needless to say, my new scape is secured with putty - I never want a repeat of that!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
yes. in my early days while the tank was less than a year old i was already adding corals that didn't make it very far. lesson learned!

ScottF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also learned that sweet little Niger Triggers turn into giant mouths that eat small newly added fish like chromis as well as shrimp.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned to always put the net cover back on my tank when I'm done doing something in the tank. It seems Midas Blennies do much better in water than on the floor.
Yes, I also learned this lesson the hard way. Mine was also a midas blenny.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning the tank and I didn't secure my rock in place, a big piece fell on top of my huge BTA. It was a goner. Needless to say, my new scape is secured with putty - I never want a repeat of that!
Wow, I hate that happened to your BTA!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admit it...We're human, and we make mistakes! Sometimes, mistakes can be corrected without consequence, and other times...maybe not. The nature of this hobby can be unforgiving at times, and we keep some sensitive creatures. Have you ever experienced the ultimate consequence of mistakes in reef-keeping?

Have you ever done anything that resulted in a fish or coral death? Share what you learned from that experience!

P.S. Please refrain from roasting each other (and me) in the comments. :face-in-clouds:

season 5 the original fry cook GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Ive done too much that resulted in dead fish unfortunately.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many things, but worst one is probably when I set alk doser on apex to ON instead of AUTO......

smitten with ocean life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didnt realize that i plugged in the heater on ''on'' not auto. cooked almost everything in my tank. i was devastated to say the least. one of the fish was a red hawkfish that would sit in your hand.... can still hardly think about it

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One coral…

I was doing a bulk dip of a few corals and at the end thought I’d gotten them all out so emptied it in the toilet…

Then out tumbled my Moseleya, and the water momentum carried it all the way over the u-bend….

Out of 34 coral species including about a dozen SPS I’ve only lost two (so far…) - the Moseleya and a Torch, one of my first attempts at LPS - so on the whole a decent batting average.

Last edited:

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 56 76.7%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back