Flame Angel and Blue Eye Kole

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs, they are a strange fish, but I love them! I have 10 of them in a 6 foot reef they do well and play nice. They will be aggressive at the start and most tangs will settle after time. It could take days, it could take weeks. Always be ready to net your new fish if the worst starts to happen. It's not common from my experience that tangs will fight with other fish other then there own or other tangs. In saying that I do own a pigmy angel and some times he thinks he/she is a tang and has little tail tussles with the tangs. Nothing major just standard tang behaviour(a holes). The way I find best to introduce them is a clear acclamation box, add a new rock cave(I believe this helps refresh the tank and helps break the territory aggression, tangs are very territorial and will fight over caves and territories). Add multiple tangs at once(in your case multiple angels/tangs). They will also develop some pecking order of who is the boss tang and who gets last to eat. Feed them lots of nori and keep them full(have it on tap if you can). The hardest tangs to get to be friendly is powder tangs, I'm still trying to get my powder brown and black to not kill each other.

Personally I think a kole tang is perfectly fine in a 75 gallon heck you could probably even do a purple tang, they stay pretty small as well. Don't stress about this tang police nonsense, you'll know when you have too many, just be sensible about it
1000002682.jpg

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole tang, not a blue tang. They get about 7-8 inches.
Never seen one in captivity that large. After a few years mine were never larger than 4 inches so IMO fine in a 75g. The mirror trick never worked for me. My purple was scared of the reflection lol. Temporary removing or isolating the aggressor has worked best for me.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some say put the mirror outside the tank if you're going to have it in for any length of time - depending on what it's made of. These things usually work out. it would be interesting to see a picture of your tank. Do you have enough hiding places?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always put up 2 mirrors on my tank when I know I'm adding new fish and I add fish in 3's. One mirror goes right in front of the clowns because they are off the charts nuts. The other goes in middle of tank. The fish get completly occupied by themselves. Adding fish in 3s diluted any Leftover aggression amongst 3 then just 1 newcomer getting all the attention

OP
OP
H

henryriesett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say put the mirror outside the tank if you're going to have it in for any length of time - depending on what it's made of. These things usually work out. it would be interesting to see a picture of your tank. Do you have enough hiding places?
image.jpg

This is my tank, I took the mirror away and have seen some minor chasing from the tang, but nothing like it was yesterday, so far.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 9.1%
Back