Flatworm Exit

ChrisD15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to share my recient experience in trying to rid my tank for flatworms using Flatworm Exit....but 1st some background. I've been in the saltwater hobby for over 20yrs, started with a FOWLR and moved into reef about 3yrs ago. Tank is a 125gal mixed Softy, LPS & SPS about 30 different species & 9 fish (Tangs, Clown, Anthias, Fairy Wrasse, shrimps, emerald crabs, etc) medium depth sand bed, lots of LR, with 36" Trigger Emerald sump, ReefOcto Protein Skimmer, Refugium, & Maxspect LED lights & 2 Maxspect Gyre's. Water from a BRS 6stage RO system & Redsea Blue bucket salt.

Noticed a few red/brown flatworms about 6months ago and tried to attack them by reducing nutrients and upping my cleaning routine....this did not work and population continued to grow. In the last few weeks the flatworm population got to the point that a lot of my sand bed in area's of low flow would be covered as well as lower parts of live rock....no damage to coral that I could see, but it was getting very hard to keep tank clean. I started doing research and read every blog I could find on Flatworm Exit...the good & the bad. After weighing many option I decided to give it a try. Got 20pnds of Activated Carbon ready, made 50 gals of new SW & had another 50gal of RO/DI on hand just incase. Before treatment I sucked out as many worms as I could but with my LR & sand bed I knew this would be difficult and this is what I believe lead to my downfall. Dosed Exit as directed and in 30min saw floating worms, at that point started sucking out worms in the water column, started my water changes (about 30gals) and started adding multiple 3pd carbon bags throughout the sump. The entire process took about 2.5hrs. The Flatworm Exit worked as expected....killed the little buggers no problem....my problem was that I totally under estimated my FW population. The amt of toxins they emitted were too much for my water changes & AC. All SPS went into shock, Monti's lost all color, Euphoric hammers sucked in and closed up, all Zoa's shrunk to almost nothing, Gorgonia retracted, Inforno & Purple Peoney Shrooms shrunk to almost nothing, all fish went into major shock & 1 fairy wrasse died within 20min. I went into panic mode, changed more water changed out carbon bags ever 2 hrs.

Over the next 5 days kept doing 20% water changes and changing out carbon bags....ended up going through almost 50pnd of AC and 100gals of SW. Thankfully the only thing I lost so far was 1 fairy wrasse, most fish have now come out of stress but one other fairy wrasse still showing signs, all softies & LPS have come back all zoa's have reopened, but all SPS's are still browned, out while there is no flesh loss I'm not sure if they will make it as they have no color left.

So the conclusion is the FW Exit worked as advertised, but I totally under estimated the amt of worms I had due to the sand bed & LR. My stress level was/is through the roof, now after a week things are looking OK but not happy about my SPS color loss...hope they survive. 20/20 hind site I'm not too sure I would do it again the same way.....if you see flatworms treat as soon as you see one...do not let the population get out of control as I did.

OP
OP
ChrisD15

ChrisD15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some crappy iPhone photos

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1aa2c.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1aa3e.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1aa50.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1aa74.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1aa75.jpg

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the losses. I've used flatworm exit before but only used half of the recommended dosage. It ended up wiping out quite a bit of flatworms...and my melanurus wrasse has taken care of the rest. I see a few from time to time...but nothing that's an issue anymore. Didn't wipe out any of my fish...but definitely stressed out some of my sps. I think within 2 weeks everything was back to normal. Best of luck with the recover!

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the story and I'm sorry that you had to experience it. I'm going to have to face this at some point soon and I'll be absolutely sure to get as many of these little jerks as I can. All my fish are currently out of my display but I dont want to stress the few inverts that I've got.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Glad to hear worms are under control. Rather have loss of color than loss in whole. And you battled those buggers

OP
OP
ChrisD15

ChrisD15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the story and I'm sorry that you had to experience it. I'm going to have to face this at some point soon and I'll be absolutely sure to get as many of these little ******** as I can. All my fish are currently out of my display but I dont want to stress the few inverts that I've got.

Best advice I can give you is have lots of water ready & lots of Carbon....I think that was the only thing that saved me from having more of a die-off. That being said I'm sure the massive water changes also contributed to the stress levels in the tank. I tried to get the parameters as close as possible but new clean water is never exactly the same as the water thats been in the tank for a while.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past 24 hours I had been siphoning what flatworms I could. That number was a small portion of what I ended up seeing floating around after I dosed, per the instructions, 160 drops for 200 system gallons. I've got snails, shrimps, hermit crabs, a few zoa colonies and various mushrooms so I dont have much in terms of significant value in livestock. With that being said, I still dont want to lose anybody so I immediately drained about 75 gallons out of the display and returned what was removed from my saltwater storage tower. The rocks look super clean now as there arent thousands of little worms all over the place.

Those little buggers were directly responsible for the loss of all the coraline algae I had in the tank, by either feasting on it or blocking out the light. I'll try to report back on any long term issues if anything comes up.

So far after 4 hours or so, this is what my skimmer has pulled out. I had just cleaned it too.

20180829_162347.jpg

OP
OP
ChrisD15

ChrisD15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's some orange skimate!!! Looks like it worked out well for you so far. I can say now after about 4 weeks the stress level in my tank (and me) is almost nill, the color has pretty much come back on everything (Acro still a little brown but getting better). I haven't seen any new worms and the tank is much easier to keep clean....Here's a few more cruddy pictures....

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1acb1.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1acb2.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1acb6.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1acbb.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1acbc.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1acc2.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1acc4.jpg

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my own update: my elephant ear mushroom still appears to not be its regular happy self. The zoa colonies and the various other mushrooms are back to normal. The impact of using flatworm exit on the many thousands of red planaria did kill off quite a few bristle worms and possibly decimated my copepod population. I've already begun to add some pod cultures to the system to replenish their numbers but I have noticed a few red flatworms still in the tank.

So, it looks like I'll have to do a second treatment.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got around to doing that 2nd treatment. I didnt have to do a large water change as whatever small numbers of flatworms that were left after the first treatment, didnt seemingly release enough toxins to upset much of anything. The tank and the few corals I have seem to be back to normal.

-a happy user of Flatworm Exit
(Dan)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back