Freaky Friday: What freaky, crazy, insane thing have you done?

Have you done crazy things for the love of the hobby?

• YES and I'll do more!!

Votes: 257 66.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 49 12.6%
  • Kinda...

Votes: 77 19.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have done some crazy things during my time in this hobby like hopping in my car and driving 125 miles on July 4th to buy frags on a whim! I've driven 400 miles one way to pick up a whole LIVE tank system and transport it via my church van to my house! I've paid an insane amount of money for rocks and even used my drill on glass!! HA!

What freaky, crazy, insane thing have you done for the love of the hobby?

1573917308744.png

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago (early 90s) I wanted to try a sump (trickle filter) on my tank. I used a hose up and over the edge, started a siphon, and used a C-clamp to squeeze the hose to match the output of the little pump I was using to return the water. Seemed fine at the time, but looking back I realize how crazy that was. Amazingly enough I didn't have any floods over the couple months I used it.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought my 210 off craigslist drove from north of Milwaukee to south Chicago during a blizzard to get a steal on my tank. Wife was not happy. Your driving to a strangers house 200 miles away during a blizzard. Yes not the smartest thing I’ve ever done but worked out. He was another friendly reefer.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many years ago (early 90s) I wanted to try a sump (trickle filter) on my tank. I used a hose up and over the edge, started a siphon, and used a C-clamp to squeeze the hose to match the output of the little pump I was using to return the water. Seemed fine at the time, but looking back I realize how crazy that was. Amazingly enough I didn't have any floods over the couple months I used it.
Bought my 210 off craigslist drove from north of Milwaukee to south Chicago during a blizzard to get a steal on my tank. Wife was not happy. Your driving to a strangers house 200 miles away during a blizzard. Yes not the smartest thing I’ve ever done but worked out. He was another friendly reefer.

Yes and yes!! HAHA!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ABSOLUTLEY not fishing for likes!!!!!! check out my build ,sums up 30 years of reefing ,the passion,the"crazy" me,up to current day,if not cool with this post @revhtree please remove :) thanks all again i stress not looking for likes do not want 100's of dings !!!!:)enjoy all:)

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two hermit crabs in my nano reef tank- I like to live dangerously. I might gamble adding a snail to the tank at some point since I like to live on the edge!
giphy.gif

I think the craziest thing I've had to do so far is beat black bugs in my coral QT- Took the corals to my LFS for my coworker to perform a crazy 2 hour dip session with god knows how many kinds of dip, Drove home and fully disassembled, sterilized and reassembled the tank and picked them back up in about 3 hours. Stressful but it worked ;)

At work we we're doing our first big saltwater install not that long ago and that was fun week but not my tank specifically so not sure if that counts, we had to move about 350 gallons of saltwater in 5 gallon buckets. Took a few trips;Hilarious

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my LED lights out of copper tubing and had water flowing through it to a copper radiator.

The algae scrubber also had copper water cooled lights with a radiator.

That is so awesome! I LOVE it

I think the craziest thing I have done is I carefully filled up my entire system for the first time with a gallon jug, marking each gallon on the side of the glass so I could know exactly how many gallons my tank holds. That took FOREVER, but to your point on the poll earlier this week, I think it extremely important to know exactly how much water is in the system.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not be crazy but more stupid... live and learn. I purchased a bonded pair of gobies with a pistol shrimp. I performed my standard acclimation procedure and proceeded to add the fish and shrimp to the tank. The fish - no problem. The shrimp, on his way down to the sand-bed became an appetizer for a chalk bass. Ugh!! Poor guy. Me bad.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone tells me a crab isn't reef safe, I go out and buy one, convince myself it'll be fine, and experiment. I've kept a lot of hermits, never had them eat corals (snails sure but those are cheap), bought an arrow crab, gave him back when he was the size of a basketball (he kept molting and getting bigger), and then put the biggest crab ever in my tank; a giant mithrax crab! He is massive, red, and absolutely reef safe!!! No missing corals or fish, no aggression, just him peacefully picking at hair algae. I was actually shocked he didn't cause any problems. Oh and I cannot forget my favorite tank inhabitant, my sponge decorator crab. He eats one(?) type of sponge, decorates with my unending supply of zoanthids, and loves hair algae and brine shrimp. He is also terrified of everything so it is hilarious to watch him try to blend in. Again, I was shocked to see he does not fight with my giant crab. They seem to be buddies at this point.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not "crazy" or "insane" by R2R standards... but for the other mere mortals.

Having someone like your 180 gallon aquarium - and then ask how much it cost...

And you telling them $10,000 - and then them looking at you like you are "crazy" or "insane."

:)

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to drain my reef tank into the air for extended periods to see how much it can take. 33 mins pers record about to try for 50 straight air time, rocks corals etc. its ninja training for pico reefs
What do you mean how much it can take? Until stuff dies?

Back