Freaky Friday: What freaky, crazy, insane thing have you done?

Have you done crazy things for the love of the hobby?

• YES and I'll do more!!

Votes: 257 66.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 49 12.6%
  • Kinda...

Votes: 77 19.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

paulgriffin971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reach into the sump with bare hands, feed anenome with a plastic burger kink fork, rebuilt the fans on hydra lights, stabbed myself with the aptasia x needle. Also moved a 125 tank by myself on a roller, then levered it up to the stand. Not to mention Broken a heater and cleaned up the glass while it was still plugged in...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fangs

there's one montipora that starts to bleach on the edges, that's my weak link/farthest I can take the refill stall.

never was worried about the live rock they'll do hours and hours without losing bacteria, or worms (the hobby is wrong about mini cycles from air exposure, its purely an api-.25 driven notion)

check the drain out and its happened about 200 times now over the years:

ff the video so you dont wait 33 mins

then it all opens up next morning
like the tides, we're working up to tidal hours lol.

the secondary purpose of the video was to show how any nano reef can instantly be free of dinos or cyano, you just rip clean it all out (can use water holding lol the air work was for flair here) I purposefully wrecked that bowl with algae and cyano over two mos of not cleaning it.

then wham, back to new plus air for half an hour. all reefs can do this. they're all ninjas. fish wont like it tho lol

you dont have to test, dose, wait, hesitate, stumble, you can just simply make a nano reef behave, for twenty years if desired.

no testers used no bottle bac only temp and salinity and some ninja exercise

Last edited:

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The craziest thing for me is just how readily I'm willing to spend money on the hobby compared to anything else. $500 for a few tiny colorful sticks...sure! An extra $1 to add cheese to my burger when eating out...heck no! what a waste of money!

I MAY have pulled out a bit of extra money from savings for an extra light for some better coverage :rolleyes:

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a new house with fish tank as main consideration factor. Also install whole house generator because of fish and coral.

I am currently going through a potential relocation at work and this is one of my priorities...can I fit an 8' to 10' tank?! LoL

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a mandarin a guy was selling across the state on my way home from my grandmas funeral. Open bar funeral. Partially drunk in a strangers house with my husband and kids in the car.

i used to volunteer to drive kids in my sons computer class to programming competitions so I could drop them off and check out the local fish stores.

I cut a hole in my living room floor to plumb to a basement sump.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My craziest thing came not too long ago... was upgrading from a 55g no-name tank to a Red Sea Reefer 350. Got a great deal on it from my LFS... and so I went to pick it up from the shop once it arrived.

The Reefer 350 box is something like 52" long, 23" tall, and about 20" wide. The box for the stand is similarly large. I drive a 2009 Scion tC - a sporty little coupe hatchback.

One of the nice features of that car is that the front seat can fold flat, so you can actually carry deceptively large items - I can fit 20+ 8' 2x4s in the car, for example. So I was confident that I'd be able to get this mammoth package into my car.

Well... the good news is, yes, we could. We could even fit the stand in there with it. But the package went all the way up to the dashboard. Absolutely no visibility out the right side of my car. So I drove 25 miles back home with that thing in there, with absolutely 0 visibility on the right side of my car. Couldn't see the mirrors or anything.

And believe it or not, that was only my 3rd-most harrowing drive.

Then we had another fun time actually getting that thing out of the car and into the house...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On advice from my lawyer I cannot respond or discuss certain incidents that may apply to the question that was asked.
What I can say, is that once I purchased a Tomini tang from an accomplished reefer and drove through some bad weather to complete that sale. 50 miles through monsoon down pours that had stopped traffic on the Interstate. I had to call the seller to let him know I would be delayed. When I got there the tang looked rough. It was in a holding tank showing shabby fins and cloudy skin that normally would have made me reject it. I paid full price and brought the sick fish home because the Reefers DT looked clean & beautiful and I could see that the Tomini tang wasn't going to live long in it's current quarters. The whole trip took me 5 hours to complete hydroplaning blind through "record-breaking bad weather". I "dumped" (@Paul B) the tang directly into my tank where it has thrived for the past few years and lives now fully recovered. If the news hadn't played up the storm I wouldn't have noticed and probably would have forgotten the event. Reef for life.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my LED lights out of copper tubing and had water flowing through it to a copper radiator.

The algae scrubber also had copper water cooled lights with a radiator.
That's hardcore.

dzfish17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see a thread like this... A bit of relief knowing I'm not the only crazy aquarist in the hobby.
I did this... Buy a huge, tall tank that you can't reach the bottom of then, build a rock wall in it so I'll never be able to remove anything that's added... Lol. Wack
image.jpeg

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see. Drive in the middle of a rainstorm to Astoria, Queens to buy a used Kessil; Brooklyn for Anthias; New Jersey for a Maxspect Razor.
Ripped apart a whole 90 g setup to catch an Auriga Butterfly who ate brine in the store but ate only every zoa, softie in the tank.
Did buy whole house generator mostly for the tanks.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Traded a full blown sweet 16 for a tank, blew my entire savings (was saving up for my own car) on coral, made a small business selling/trading coral and anemones, blew all of those savings buying a 45 gallon tank today... and I’m about to get three jobs plus the coral business to pay for coral for that tank. Still need a plan for it though. Thinking maybe euphyllia dominant with a lot of RFA and BTA? I want an unusual fish list as well. Thinking a Madagascar coral croucher plus some other wackos.
1C83D824-5E6E-4C54-89E8-D42A8B432942.jpeg

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t don’t many crazy things yet but there is plenty of planning (5+ hrs away) going into a 300+ gallon system that I’m sure will have plenty of craziness around it.

I was able to convince my wife to go coral shopping on our honeymoon in Orlando!

Oh and I did drop my very first Rock Flower Nem down my kitchen drain when I opened the bag. Last time I will ever open a bag containing a living creature over a sink. It is still alive today too!

ReefzJR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally dropped my anemone behind a dresser. Couldn’t move the dresser so I slowly scrapped the NEM within reach with a long tool. When I picked it up it was covered in cat food, hair and old litter . It shriveled up but now it’s doing great. This was only a few days ago. I was mortified

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back