Free live rock has lots of vermetid snails... Opinion needed

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that most of the appeal of liverock(actual ocean rock) is the microfauna, not necessarily just bacteria. Kill all the microfauna and all you have is cycled rock. I was perplexed when I realized people pay several dollars each for microbrittle stars, spaghetti worms, snails, bivalves, pods, etc. All that and more is standard equipment with LR.

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that most of the appeal of liverock(actual ocean rock) is the microfauna, not necessarily just bacteria. Kill all the microfauna and all you have is cycled rock. I was perplexed when I realized people pay several dollars each for microbrittle stars, spaghetti worms, snails, bivalves, pods, etc. All that and more is standard equipment with LR.
Agreed, but in this situation I'd lean towards:
- the rock "looks" pretty nice already (for free)
- there is bacteria that might survive harsh methods that would take "time" to duplicate from dry

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but in this situation I'd lean towards:
- the rock "looks" pretty nice already (for free)
- there is bacteria that might survive harsh methods that would take "time" to duplicate from dry
Sure. I wouldn't throw it away and it is a significant jump start. I'm just suggesting some care be given to not kill off the rest of the life on the rocks

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A dremel with a circular wire brush will make quick work of that porcupine rock…then just rinse off a few times and it’s ready for the tank and will keep the bacteria

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my LFS had bubble bee snails so I will be adding 3 to the bin while I get my 30G cube ready.

Then I will inspect each piece and remove any pest. Then glue some of the pieces to my existing structure.

Mean while the pistol shrimp and watchman goby have been added to my main display in a acclimation box.

fishface NJ

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate? When I told my LFS they didn't seem too worried. They said most tank will have them.
I had them years ago (19 years approx) in my first tank. I got it from a frag. I didn't know what it was at the time and left it on the frag plug. Started multiplying in my tank. I closed that tank down. Every frag that I get since then goes into QT (including fish). I don't have any pests (aiptasia vermetid)

LFS is in the business of selling

kc4mnp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me and as expensive as live rock is , I would scrub it down and use it, add bumble bee snails and anything else that might eat them ! and hope for the best ! But it will be a lot of work I'm sure!

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to end up with them regardless how you start. Same with aptasia.
exactly how i look at it
i’ve gotten rock like this before and i keep bumblebee snails that seem to eradicate them
same with other “pests” there’s always gonna be something that will take care of it in time

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconding bumble bee snails. They do work but very slowly. I had a breakout in my 50g of vermetids. I put in about 12-15 bumble bee snails and a year later they are kept at bay and arguably much better. They will attack smaller snails and inverts if you run out of a food source though.

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back