Help identify these hitch hikers please

I2uairi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I seem to have picked up some hitch hikers after getting some new live rock. The worm is approx. 6 inches or more long and is nocturnal. The wee fuzzy white guys seem to have exploded in population over the past day or two. Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated thanks Screenshot_20241026_010555_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-1289738680.mp4
    1.5 MB

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white things are harmless pineapple sponges that end up in almost all reef tanks, from what I have heard and experienced.
The video/worm appears to be a bristleworm or fireworm, but hard to tell for sure without a better, closer view. From what I have read, differentiation is in the head/mouth parts.

OP
OP
I2uairi

I2uairi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. Are fireworms generally safe or harmless? Atm I've only got 2 clowns and some corals (GSP, Toadstool and a Nem). Thats the only recording I can get of him he's rarely ever visible in my tank

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. Are fireworms generally safe or harmless? Atm I've only got 2 clowns and some corals (GSP, Toadstool and a Nem). Thats the only recording I can get of him he's rarely ever visible in my tank
If it is a bearded fireworm, they are known to eat corals (I think stony corals, but not sure). I think fireworms are fairly rare and unlikely, though, and it is far more likely that it is a common bristleworm, which are clean up crew and not harmful to corals, other invertebrates, or fish.

I would not worry too much about it unless you start to see chunks missing from your corals, which is probably unlikely.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • No.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back