Help with torch please

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this torch for about 3 weeks and it was doing well until yesterday when I woke up to almost a whole head destroyed. I have a few theories.

1. I think my clowns were trying to sleep in it, irritating it.
2. My diamond goby made a pile of sand next to it, also probably irritating it.
3. My drain had a partial clog which raised water level to my backup drain and caused ATO to dump freshwater in the sump. This caused a minor salinity swing from 1.026 to 1.024. I just allowed it to correct itself via evaporation after unclogging the drain.
4. I noticed some vermatids on the stalks. Dipped in CoralRx this morning and chipped the snails off with a tweezers.

Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.0-8.2
Alk: 9.4 dKh
Ca: 430 ppm
Mg: 1350 ppm
NO3: 10 ppm
PO4: 0.5 ppm

What are your thoughts on the cause, prognosis, and any suggested course of action? I’ve already moved it away from the clowns and goby burrow.

(Yes, my glass is scratched, no need to remind me :expressionless-face:)
IMG_4421.jpeg

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this torch for about 3 weeks and it was doing well until yesterday when I woke up to almost a whole head destroyed. I have a few theories.

1. I think my clowns were trying to sleep in it, irritating it.
2. My diamond goby made a pile of sand next to it, also probably irritating it.
3. My drain had a partial clog which raised water level to my backup drain and caused ATO to dump freshwater in the sump. This caused a minor salinity swing from 1.026 to 1.024. I just allowed it to correct itself via evaporation after unclogging the drain.
4. I noticed some vermatids on the stalks. Dipped in CoralRx this morning and chipped the snails off with a tweezers.

Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.0-8.2
Alk: 9.4 dKh
Ca: 430 ppm
Mg: 1350 ppm
NO3: 10 ppm
PO4: 0.5 ppm

What are your thoughts on the cause, prognosis, and any suggested course of action? I’ve already moved it away from the clowns and goby burrow.

(Yes, my glass is scratched, no need to remind me :expressionless-face:)
IMG_4421.jpeg
Your parameters look solid although mine seem to thrive with magnesium at around 1400, 1350 isn’t an issue. That leaves light and flow. You want moderate random flow and moderate light, 150-200 par. I would move it off the sand and gradually get it into the correct flow and light. There is a chance it was going down hill when you got it. How is the flesh band?

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look solid although mine seem to thrive with magnesium at around 1400, 1350 isn’t an issue. That leaves light and flow. You want moderate random flow and moderate light, 150-200 par. I would move it off the sand and gradually get it into the correct flow and light. There is a chance it was going down hill when you got it. How is the flesh band?
I run metal halides so the light is 150-180 PAR at the sand. I also have pretty high and random flow with 2 gyres and a vortec mp40. It was doing really well for a couple weeks in my tank and I had been eyeing it at the LFS for several months before I pulled the trigger and bought it. Always looked healthy there.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run metal halides so the light is 150-180 PAR at the sand. I also have pretty high and random flow with 2 gyres and a vortec mp40. It was doing really well for a couple weeks in my tank and I had been eyeing it at the LFS for several months before I pulled the trigger and bought it. Always looked healthy there.
I would still get it off the sand every thing else seems like you are doing right. How is the flesh band? It should be 1/2-1 inch on a healthy torch.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw you are from St. Louis. I went to school there and lived in Chesterfield. My wife and I loved the free zoo. Went many times as a poor college student. Quite a few reefers on here from St. Louis, good people, reach out.

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still get it off the sand every thing else seems like you are doing right. How is the flesh band? It should be 1/2-1 inch on a healthy torch.
Flesh is receding from the top down. Thinking its a goner unfortunately. I’m betting it was physically abused by my clownfish and goby that almost buried it.

I just saw you are from St. Louis. I went to school there and lived in Chesterfield. My wife and I loved the free zoo. Went many times as a poor college student. Quite a few reefers on here from St. Louis, good people, reach out.
Born and raised! I live in Ballwin, so not too far from Chesterfield. I love it here, despite its quirks.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flesh is receding from the top down. Thinking its a goner unfortunately. I’m betting it was physically abused by my clownfish and goby that almost buried it.

Born and raised! I live in Ballwin, so not too far from Chesterfield. I love it here, despite its quirks.
Yes I know Ballwin! If there was tissue damage get your hands on Lugol’s iodine and mix it with tank water until it is slightly less than the color of ice tea. Put it in for 10 minutes, rinse with tank water and place back in the tank. They are a little more resilient than they get credit for. Fingers crossed.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back