Hey all! New here, coming from the freshwater world.

C12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm a 17 year old who has 3 freshwater planted tanks, and I'm switching over/starting my saltwater journey. I'm in the process of setting up a red sea max nano 20 g cube mixed reef with most likely a clownfish pair, but I'm headed to my lfs this weekend consider my options. I love the looks of Euphyllia's, toadstool leather's, green star polyps, pulsing xenia's, etc. (I like big, flowy corals. I'm open to zoa's, but not sure exactly what I will have space for). I also love the idea of a pistol shrimp + goby pair, but I am worried about space, coral interference, and feeding difficulties with that. If you guys have any advice or suggestions (also, with salt mixes too) that would be much appreciated. I would say I have a pretty good base knowledge of the hobby in general, thanks to freshwater, so I feel like I have a bit of a head start. I'm going to try and post the whole tank setup process.

I've been in love with the ocean and corals for as long as I can remember, so I've been really wanting to get into the hobby for a long time, but just never had the money until now. I feel like I got a lot out of freshwater, and did all that I wanted to do (grow plants, make babies, etc.) and now I want to experiment with the saltwater world, and hopefully stay here the rest of my life, and pursue a career in the marine realm.

Anyway, enough yapping, I just felt like I should introduce myself.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

danreef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!​

We're thrilled to have you join our reefing community. Whether you're just starting out or have years of experience, there's always something new to learn and share here. Feel free to dive into the discussions, ask questions, and share your own reefing adventures. We're all here to help and grow together. Happy reefing
1726798703259.png

805Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm a 17 year old who has 3 freshwater planted tanks, and I'm switching over/starting my saltwater journey. I'm in the process of setting up a red sea max nano 20 g cube mixed reef with most likely a clownfish pair, but I'm headed to my lfs this weekend consider my options. I love the looks of Euphyllia's, toadstool leather's, green star polyps, pulsing xenia's, etc. (I like big, flowy corals. I'm open to zoa's, but not sure exactly what I will have space for). I also love the idea of a pistol shrimp + goby pair, but I am worried about space, coral interference, and feeding difficulties with that. If you guys have any advice or suggestions (also, with salt mixes too) that would be much appreciated. I would say I have a pretty good base knowledge of the hobby in general, thanks to freshwater, so I feel like I have a bit of a head start. I'm going to try and post the whole tank setup process.

I've been in love with the ocean and corals for as long as I can remember, so I've been really wanting to get into the hobby for a long time, but just never had the money until now. I feel like I got a lot out of freshwater, and did all that I wanted to do (grow plants, make babies, etc.) and now I want to experiment with the saltwater world, and hopefully stay here the rest of my life, and pursue a career in the marine realm.

Anyway, enough yapping, I just felt like I should introduce myself.
Welcome! I'm starting a 20 gallon nano myself... I'd wait at least a month before adding corals. Get the pair of clowns, and start the cycling process. I recommend Fritz Turbostart.. and adding LPS corals slowly.. Here's my progress so far. Let me know if you run in to any snags.

Attachments

• IMG_2486 (002).jpg
    IMG_2486 (002).jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
C12

C12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'm starting a 20 gallon nano myself... I'd wait at least a month before adding corals. Get the pair of clowns, and start the cycling process. I recommend Fritz Turbostart.. and adding LPS corals slowly.. Here's my progress so far. Let me know if you run in to any snags.
Looks great! I really like fritz's bacteria products, they have done me good with my freshwater tanks. Question - What salt are you using?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on getting into saltwater! Although there will definitely be frustrations now and then it is a great time. As a marine biologist, I know what you mean about being in love with the ocean and corals as long as you can remember. Don't rush into difficult corals or you will have some troubles, but there are great softies and some lps are fairly easy. About the xenia, be very careful. It will take over anything and even tiny pieces will grow onto whatever they land on. Have fun!!

1a-Welcome Aboard.gif

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AaaR2R2.gif

Greetings and Welcome it's good having you here.

Gotta put my 2 cents in tho. Consider a fishless cycle. Fish are not necessary for a cycle to complete. Yes, they will most likely live, but they'll be uncomfortable during the process. Not an ideal situation!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 55 37.7%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back